Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch battery....a laugh?

Options
  • 21-07-2017 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I have a Gucci watch that I got for a significant birthday two years ago. The battery stopped a few months ago. I happened to be in town today and went into Fields where I bought it. I kind of assumed it would be a quick in and out job but was told I would need the original box, the battery would cost 35 euro plus a refundable 50 euro deposit plus it would take eight weeks! Really!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If you don't want to pay it, don't. What's the consumer issue here?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

Yeah similar story with my Raymond Weil watch, battery €45! Takes 3 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Why the.original box? It just so happens I do have it. Why a 50 euro deposit? Watch was c 800 euro so I'm hardly going to leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Pop into a real jewellers rather than a shopping centre place with low wage sales assistants.

This thread will give you all info needed
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68109514#post68109514

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think this is something to do with the waterproof seal. Think that's why they send it off. May affect warranty too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think this is something to do with the waterproof seal. Think that's why they send it off. May affect warranty too.

exact;y and its the reason I dumped a perfectly good casio , and have a Citizen solar powered watch for nearly 10 years now !

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

i always change my casio battery as all you have to do is make sure o ring is put back properly with a little vasoline on it, battery cost only 6 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I change the batteries on both the Casio & Citizen (in minutes) for less than the cost of a whiff of a take-away Latte.
    Usually every 7yrs (the Casio is a 10yr battery). Don't buy fancy watches anymore.

The Casio cost next to nothing is about 15-20yrs old and has been bashed off -5m rocks in the GBReef, surfed on the Med & Atlantic. Seen -19oC days and several at +42oC. Negligible scratches. 2 Alarms + Snooze alarm, Chime, Countdown, World-Clocks, 10BAR, Stopwatch, Dual Ana/Digital DD display, x30 Tele-memo bank, led illumination, lumibrite type digits. Usually also has a Silva button compass on the watch strap also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I change the batteries on both the Casio & Citizen (in minutes) for less than the cost of a whiff of a take-away Latte.
    Usually every 7yrs (the Casio is a 10yr battery). Don't buy fancy watches anymore.

The Casio cost next to nothing is about 15-20yrs old and has been bashed off -5m rocks in the GBReef, surfed on the Med & Atlantic. Seen -19oC days and several at +42oC. Negligible scratches. 2 Alarms + Snooze alarm, Chime, Countdown, World-Clocks, 10BAR, Stopwatch, Dual Ana/Digital DD display, x30 Tele-memo bank, led illumination, lumibrite type digits. Usually also has a Silva button compass on the watch strap also.

my citizen eco drive has seen 10 years of abuse, crossed the atlantic in a sail boat , and spent 28,000 miles at sea , never leaves my arm, and still to this day synchronises to the atomic clock in Germany at 4:30 am , and never required its battery to be changed

brill

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have one of the first Citizen Eco drive watches, it's more than 20 years old and still going strong. Has anyone ever had to get a new battery and how much did it cost? I think there's a place down in Shannon services them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Watches & Timepieces - better suited there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Is €15 to have a new battery fitted in suburban Dublin the going rate these days.
    Regular everyday watch, no special features etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's reasonable enough I'd say Imme.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

At 15 euro are they including a water resistance check afterwards? I'd be presuming that this wouldn't include new seals for the watch - if the price includes all that I think it'd be a bargain, if it's just a battery change without WR check or seal replacement then it's a fair price I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Bluebell woods

4 pounds stg in my local shoe menders last week

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thenumber3

Got battery in Longines replaced by Breretons Grafton St late last year for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Bluebell woods

I didn't mention watch brand …
    one was from Next
    and the other was from Newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

You can get watches that dont need battery's called automatics, Other than that take it to a watchfix place, they do it while you wait. Dont expect any place that has staff and a premesis etc to do it cheap, thats not the way the world work. Do it yourself with a amazon battery if you want to save dosh.

Fitz II wrote: »
    You can get watches that dont need battery's called automatics, Other than that take it to a watchfix place, they do it while you wait. Dont expect any place that has staff and a premesis etc to do it cheap, thats not the way the world work. Do it yourself with a amazon battery if you want to save dosh.

Thanks for the life lessons.

;)

thenumber3 wrote: »
    Got battery in Longines replaced by Breretons Grafton St late last year for €10.

Unbelievable, I will try them next time.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    You can get watches that dont need battery's called automatics,
    True, but they're generally(outside of high end quartz stuff) much more expensive to buy into and cost of ownership and servicing is significantly higher.
    Other than that take it to a watchfix place, they do it while you wait.
    +1 Watchfix are very good for that sort of thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’ve a sundial. Solar powered. Never needs a battery.

Advertisement