Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange noise from wheels

• 22-09-2020 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

My Car is making a loud humming noise the last few weeks almost like the sound off a straightpipe. It is louder on some road surfaces than others and is louder when I turn to the left. I was thinking a bearing is gone but it only started making this noise when I got 2 new front tyres a couple of weeks ago. Would it be possible that the sound is off the new tyres?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

My Car is making a loud humming noise the last few weeks almost like the sound off a straightpipe. It is louder on some road surfaces than others and is louder when I turn to the left. I was thinking a bearing is gone but it only started making this noise when I got 2 new front tyres a couple of weeks ago. Would it be possible that the sound is off the new tyres?

Is your cat gone missing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Sorolla wrote: »
    Is your cat gone missing ?

No exhaust is fully intact, noise is definitely from the wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Crap tyres will make a loud rumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Are the new tires run flats by any chance? I’ve never had them myself but have heard people. O plain that they’re louder that standard tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is the tyre fitter still under there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Maybe the tyres are on the wrong way - have a look at the outside of the tyres - is there an arrow ?

This should be pointing towards the front of the car

What brand of tyre do you have ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Any chance you are doing something different like driving with the back seats down?

Wake me up when it's all over.

This.

Maybe the tyres are on the wrong way - have a look at the outside of the tyres - is there an arrow ?

No, the tyres are on correctly, they are Austone Athena Tyres.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Crap tyres will make a loud rumble.

I've never heard of them before so I'd imagine they are probably a crap tyre. The grooves in the tyre are unusually wide. Is it strange that it makes a louder noise when turning left though?

Yep, Austone are a subsidiary of Cooper tyres but are pure Chinese plastic muck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

just a technicality, if the arrow were at the bottom of the tyre it would point to the rear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've never heard of them before so I'd imagine they are probably a crap tyre. The grooves in the tyre are unusually wide. Is it strange that it makes a louder noise when turning left though?

They’re a budget tyre and are most likely the source of the noise especially if it only started after you had them fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I have them on the front of a mark two octavia and although they’re not too bad grip wise they are noisy, especially noticeable on uneven road surfaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭con747

What sized tyres are they and what was the cost of just the tyres out of interest?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    What sized tyres are they and what was the cost of just the tyres out of interest?

235/40/18 and cost €75 each

I have them on the front of a mark two octavia and although they’re not too bad grip wise they are noisy, especially noticeable on uneven road surfaces.

Would they be louder when turning in a certain direction? Mine get louder turning left than if they are going straight or turning right.

235/40/18 and cost €75 each

The likes of a Hankook/Bridgestone/Pirelli etc would be approx €120-130 per tyre.

These are an expensive size.

The far more common 225/40R18 is 70% of the price. Not that that’s any good to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Would they be louder when turning in a certain direction? Mine get louder turning left than if they are going straight or turning right.

Do they have an asymmetric tread pattern, would it then be possible you can hear the nearest tyre ( drivers front ) change tone and volume when steering right or left?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Could be a wheel bearing worn. Normally gives a bit of a rumble noise.

Also, check the wheels. Could be something stuck/loose rubbing against a rotating wheel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

antodeco wrote: »
    Could be a wheel bearing worn. Normally gives a bit of a rumble noise.

Also, check the wheels. Could be something stuck/loose rubbing against a rotating wheel

This. I'm presuming you've done a few miles on them. If you haven't then there can be some residual stickiness on the tyre from the stickers they put on them.
    Does the sound speed up as you accelerate and can you hear it at all when moving slowly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€75 in that size tyre is just bottom of the barrel muck. However there might well be something else at play here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I know I spent ages trying to work out the issue with of a strange noise plus vibration on some half decent tyres on my wifes car. Replaced wheel bearings had tyres rebalanced and still as bad, replaceing the tyres and the problem went away.

Wake me up when it's all over.

This. I'm presuming you've done a few miles on them. If you haven't then there can be some residual stickiness on the tyre from the stickers they put on them.
    Does the sound speed up as you accelerate and can you hear it at all when moving slowly?

There'd be 1000 miles on them now. Ya the sound speeds up when I'm travelling at speed. Depends on the road surface though, some roads there is no noise at all, but on other roads its very loud. Was on the motorway today with the fiancee's car and the noise of the tyres touching the yellow line was exactly the same as the noise from my tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Light the fcukers on gravel a few times and see would you peel them a bit and soften them.might take the noise off a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

you may as well have put train wheels on it

Advertisement