Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vat question

• 22-09-2020 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have 4 years vat to claim back
    I was wondering do I have to send in 4 different vat forms. 1 for each year? Or can I put all 4 years on the 1 form. Tia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,818 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jd06 wrote: »
    Hi
    I was wondering do I have to send in 4 different vat forms. 1 for each year? Or can I put all 4 years on the 1 form. Tia
    One for each year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Hi

Can you go back 4 years?
    I thought it was only 3

It all has to be done online now no more sending in forms.

You can go back 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭893bet

It all has to be done online now no more sending in forms.

You can go back 4 years.

Much easier do the form online also. Easier fill in and just the minimum data needed.

893bet wrote: »
    Much easier do the form online also. Easier fill in and just the minimum data needed.

Normally I’d agree with online being better for forms but we found the vat return horribly slow and cumbersome compared to filling the paper form where you can just quickly write everything and attach the receipts.

Uploading is painfully slow as you have to add each receipt individually and twice it all failed at the end and had to start again. Took about 3 hours to do one year when taking into account it only worked on the third attempt. Allowing bulk upload of receipts would speed things up a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Normally I’d agree with online being better for forms but we found the vat return horribly slow and cumbersome compared to filling the paper form where you can just quickly write everything and attach the receipts.

Uploading is painfully slow as you have to add each receipt individually and twice it all failed at the end and had to start again. Took about 3 hours to do one year when taking into account it only worked on the third attempt. Allowing bulk upload of receipts would speed things up a lot.

If you could convert the scanned receipts into a .pdf file, then upload a single file. Someone on boards may know if there is a pdf converter online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

If you could convert the scanned receipts into a .pdf file, then upload a single file. Someone on boards may know if there is a pdf converter online

Office lens app. Very handy all done on the phone and email the file to your self then

Thanks, I’d know how to convert them to one file alight but wasn’t sure if they would accept that? They love rejecting receipts from my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I usually fill out the VAT58 along with a copy of the receipts, and send the completed form along with the original and the copies to the Accountant, who in turn submits it to Revenue. I think it was two years ago Revenue returned the lot along with a stiff letter to the Accountant saying that VAT58 should not be submitted until after the accounts had been filed. The accounts are filed annually and on time. What Revenue did that year seems to contradict their own literature.

Do people who submit VAT58 themselves also give a copy to their accountant? Last year I gave the completed VAT58, receipts on hard copy and disk to the Accountant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Can VAT be claimed on individual items at the time or is it easier/more convenient to claim for a bunch (annual batch) at once?

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    Can VAT be claimed on individual items at the time or is it easier/more convenient to claim for a bunch (annual batch) at once?

You have to be claiming a minimum of 200 euro in vat to make a claim, other than that you can claim as often or wait as long as you want (within the 4 year limit).
    I usually fill out the VAT58 along with a copy of the receipts, and send the completed form along with the original and the copies to the Accountant, who in turn submits it to Revenue. I think it was two years ago Revenue returned the lot along with a stiff letter to the Accountant saying that VAT58 should not be submitted until after the accounts had been filed. The accounts are filed annually and on time. What Revenue did that year seems to contradict their own literature.

Do people who submit VAT58 themselves also give a copy to their accountant? Last year I gave the completed VAT58, receipts on hard copy and disk to the Accountant.

As mentioned earlier the vat58 paper form is no more, you log into your revenue myaccount and make the claim online yourself. When it was a paper form We didn’t involve our accountant or send him a copy as for as I’m aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jd06

You have to be claiming a minimum of 200 euro in vat to make a claim, other than that you can claim as often or wait as long as you want (within the 4 year limit).

As mentioned earlier the vat58 paper form is no more, you log into your revenue myaccount and make the claim online yourself. When it was a paper form We didn’t involve our accountant or send him a copy as for as I’m aware.

I have 4 vat 58 forms filled out and ready to go have I any point sending them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have 4 vat 58 forms filled out and ready to go have I any point sending them?

No don't.. Waste of postage it's all online now.

Ppl must inform their accountants not the actual claim but the amount claimed and for what years. How are ppl explaining the credit to their farm accounts if the don't let accountants know...

There is no minimum under the online claims. It was 100 punts changed to 127 euro and now is zreo. I had a claim for 16 odd euro for a single year awhile back and I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Can VAT be reclaimed on new farm equipment, e.g. transport box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Only chance if your an organic registersed farmer, tho it its more for a grant, not sure on the vat, it has its conditions.

Normal farmers can only claim on an item that is fixed to the ground or part of a shed setup.
    Outside cattle drinkers and fenceing also, but not transport box etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Yes it can be if your VAT 3 registered , (vat returns every 2, 4 ,6 or 12 months)

You cant claim it back on a VAT58 (Unregistered farmer claims on select fixed capital expenditure )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭TPF2012

Built a shed this year. When calculating capital allowance for shed, is it the total or total minus vat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

TPF2012 wrote: »
    Built a shed this year. When calculating capital allowance for shed, is it the total or total minus vat?

If you claimed/plan on claiming the vat back then its minus the vat

Advertisement