Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT - front suspension imbalance

• 20-09-2020 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Failed the NCT as the front suspension was imbalanced by 33%, so 3% above the fail limit. No other issues on the NCT.
    She's due a retest within a month, so it's just this that needs doing.

Anything I could do before bringing her to a mechanic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Nothing you can do except get the both shocks replaced.

Its an annoying fail because both shocks could be totally gone and there would be no imbalance. If the car is decent and you are keeping it for a while I'd also consider replacing the springs at the same time but you may not want the extra cost but the labour would be the same.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Nothing you can do except get the both shocks replaced.

Its an annoying fail because both shocks could be totally gone and there would be no imbalance. If the car is decent and you are keeping it for a while I'd also consider replacing the springs at the same time but you may not want the extra cost but the labour would be the same.

Ah balls, I was kinda dreading that'd be the answer.

She's a 2014 Opel GTC, in great nick, so yep she's getting kept! I'll get the work done and get her through then so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

At least it's not the S2000 :D

At least it's not the S2000 :D

Hahaha, she's due for release back into the wild this time next year!

Just got a quote of €190 for a front shock fitted.

Does the price sound a bit rough?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id be fitting both sides for an imbalance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You can look up the price of a shock on micksgarage.com then you can see how much of the cost is labour. I know I'd be a lot slower but I would have thought an hour for a mechanic to do one shock isn't that far off.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Id be fitting both sides for an imbalance.

I thought so too.

They were gonna charge 65+VAT for labour, 97+VAT for the shock, but when they gave me the price and never mentioned getting the other one done, I wasn't happy. Rang a few other places, they ALL recommended getting both done... even Opel, who quoted €320 for just the labour as "it takes an hour and a half per shock" to replace.

Asked a mate, he's put me onto another mechanic he trusts, he fingers crossed it'll be done and not hurt the pocket too much.

Advertisement