Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spare wheel alternatives

• 22-09-2020 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Have a new car now and it doesn't come with a Spare Wheel (obviously) and also doesn't have a repair kit.

Had bad experience with this emergency spray stuff, thinking about getting a plug kit + 12 V Compressor instead.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/BENSON-Car-Tyre-Repair-Kit/dp/B01LNDLHRW/

Any recommendations on a 12V compressor ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Aldi have this at the moment, it has a 3 year guarantee, supposed to last 12 minutes on full charge...
    https://www.aldi.ie/12v-li-ion-mini-air-compressor/p/704562370431100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can’t really see the huge advantage of a cordless one. Given that the wheels are attached to the car anyway.

ei9go wrote: »

66% of cars are running on under inflated tyres.
    42% are so low they are at risk of crashing.
    I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

The ALDI one comes with a rechargeable battery and also a 12v adapter and lead so can be used cordless and from the cars 12v socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭corks finest

redcup342 wrote: »
    Have a new car now and it doesn't come with a Spare Wheel (obviously) and also doesn't have a repair kit.

Had bad experience with this emergency spray stuff, thinking about getting a plug kit + 12 V Compressor instead.

Bought mine on ebay got rid of that gunk ****e

dylbert wrote: »
    The ALDI one comes with a rechargeable battery and also a 12v adapter and lead so can be used cordless and from the cars 12v socket.

Ah. I thought it only charged with the car adaptor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭creedp

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ah. I thought it only charged with the car adaptor.

Might be handy for inflating the rubber dingy before being blown out to sea!

I bought a Citroen C5 a few years years back, and it had a compressor in the boot, with a tub-o-gunk. The compressor is small, but it's bigger than the majority of compressors you see for sale about the place. I'd say it cost a few euro. I've held onto it ever since.

I always make sure I have it with me. There are times it's no use, but it has saved me in the past where i get a slow puncture and it gets you to a tyre place without wrecking the alloy. I'd always suggest having one.

That said... I still always carry a spare wheel. I'd never be without one. Anything else is a sh/te alternative. Spare wheel and you can continue your journey within 10 minutes of a puncture without any real panic or worry. I'd advise checking adverts or Donedeal for a cheapo second-hand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

ei9go wrote: »

Has anyone experience of this stuff?

I'm assuming it's like Tireject or Tire Slime in the US. However I wasn't aware these types of product could be used on road vehicles. I'm guessing you can't have this product with a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System away!

• Advertisement

GeneHunt wrote: »

I'm assuming it's like Tireject or Tire Slime in the US. However I wasn't aware these types of product could be used on road vehicles. I'm guessing you can't have this product with a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System away!

Depends on the type of TPMS I’d say. Most use the speed sensors to figure out if one is out.

There’s a place in Ennis doing it for decades. Big drawback would be having a nail or screw in the tyre and not knowing.

GeneHunt wrote: »

Saved me( tyre weld) hit a puncture in Sligo on the way home to Derry in the 90s,used similar stuff and it got me the 80 plus miles home to the Creggan ( Kawasaki GPz 750)
    I was goosed otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

redcup342 wrote: »

Is there a space for a spare wheel? I'd do my everything possible to get a spare wheel in the car because the can of foam/plug and compressor only work on a few types of puncture.

I've had a bad run of luck recently and did 3 tyres none of which could be fixed using foam/plug and a compressor. 1st one was a hire car and the foam/compressor was missing not that it would have worked as it was a Stanley blade through the tyre, luckily it was outside a friend's house so could get a replacement( the hire companies breakdown service let me down). The other 2 I clipped the sidewall of my car and luckily have a space saver so changed to that, tried the foam the 2nd time and it just poured out the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭zg3409

As others have said try get spare wheel, even if you leave it at home in the shed and stick it in the boot for long trips. If its in the shed for local trips at least someone can get it and bring it to you. Make sure you test fit the spare before needing it. There are many combination of stud patterns and some brakes hit off spare wheel meaning only certain wheels will work. Try a scrap yard, then test fit it. Some models of cars have room for a spare under car or under boot tray. You can sometimes get mounting kits for under car to fit yourself.

Often the gunge kit is an actual compressor, and you can use it without the gunge. Check if you already have this. Many cheap compressors with plastic cases are terrible quality. I had one melt after literally 5 minutes use. Many state a maximum run time in minutes as they overheat quickly.

The gunge you can get put in your tyre in advance seems to give a lot of issues. I had a car with it installed by a previous owner and it caused vibration on steering wheel when tyres were cold. It won't save you in a situation where gunge after the fact won't either. You can buy plug kits online and I have just thrown one in my boot just in case.

Runflats tend to be very uncomfortable ride quality as the wall of tyre is harder than normal and after driving it while flat typically whole tyre needs replacing even for minor puncture. Try not to drive on flat run flat.

Check if your car has any form of tyre pressure warning system. Most cars in past 10+ years have them, and its a legal requirement since November 2014 in EU. If your car is new check if you have free brake down recovery from manufacture or if its included on your car insurance. You can always ring the AA if you are not a member or a tyre place to come to you and just pay a once off fee. Lastly check your tyres are not worn and correct pressure. Many punctures are caused by very worn tyres or low pressure. Replacing worn tyres early reduces the chance of a puncture and it gives better grip in very wet conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭creedp

Del2005 wrote: »
    Is there a space for a spare wheel? I'd do my everything possible to get a spare wheel in the car because the can of foam/plug and compressor only work on a few types of puncture.

I've had a bad run of luck recently and did 3 tyres none of which could be fixed using foam/plug and a compressor. 1st one was a hire car and the foam/compressor was missing not that it would have worked as it was a Stanley blade through the tyre, luckily it was outside a friend's house so could get a replacement( the hire companies breakdown service let me down). The other 2 I clipped the sidewall of my car and luckily have a space saver so changed to that, tried the foam the 2nd time and it just poured out the hole.

I did the same with an s-max after having had 3 punctures / blow-outs in quick succession and being stranded on the road at night on a couple of those occasions. I bought a Mondeo space saver from a breaker and strapped it to the back of one of the rearmost seats which was always in the upright position anyway. OK it eats into the boot space but at least I know I wont get stuck on the road because of a puncture. I also carry a plug repair kit and if I see a nail sticking out of the punctured tyre I simply plug it and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,494 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Good 12V compressor in Lidl from tomorrow. Metal construction, 3 year warranty. About €15 I think.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Good 12V compressor in Lidl from tomorrow. Metal construction, 3 year warranty. About €15 I think.

Is that the red Ultimate Speed one? I got one last year and the standout feature I’ve noticed is that it’s really quiet compared to the ones I’ve had over the years.
    Normally they have a high pitched screech but this one is a dull muted sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭zg3409

Same one. They’re very good.
    Paid €7 for mine in their mega sale thing

Same one. They’re very good.
    Paid €7 for mine in their mega sale thing

Mine packed up after 5 uses ( rubbish)

• Advertisement

Mine packed up after 5 uses ( rubbish)

Eek. I’ve only used mine twice so hopefully they’re not all like yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Saved me( tyre weld) hit a puncture in Sligo on the way home to Derry in the 90s,used similar stuff and it got me the 80 plus miles home to the Creggan ( Kawasaki GPz 750)
    I was goosed otherwise

Me, last Sunday... the can of LIDL finest goo got the bike from Oranmore to Knock....not bad..

527005.png

One of the lads had a 12v compressor. V handy, must get one.

Lots of Porsches have a good 12v compressor - their spare wheels have collapsible tyres that fold flat......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

I've had mine 2 or 3 years at this stage and used it multiple times on multiple vehicles and it's never let me down. Compared to the other one I had already, I like the on/off switch of the Lidl one and it seems fairly sturdy and well-made.

Hope so maybe it’s me, ordered a cheapie from Amazon lasted 2 months, any recommendations? Plsssssss

Hope so maybe it’s me, ordered a cheapie from Amazon lasted 2 months, any recommendations? Plsssssss
    Nice one in Lidl!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭intro

Hi

I got this one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OP0WZGI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Ring RAC 635

I got a Aldi or Lidl one for my wifes car but it struggles as it goes over 25-30 psi. It gets there but not as good as the Ring one.

I had a bmw 320d estate. Loved it but the lack of a spare wheel and no wheel well was a killer. I had a "get you home tyre"tied down in the boot which basically made a complete mess of the boot. I just changed after putting 184K miles on it over 11 years. I had several situations over they years where the tyre was unrepairable and only for the spare I would have been stranded. Also a flat on christmas day at 10pm. Compressor to inflate and a €10 euro repair rather than a new tyre after using the "gunk".The back wheels were 18inch 255 and they always had to be ordered so at least a day waiting.

Just changed the car and number one requirement was a spare wheel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,494 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Normally, you don't need a new tyre after using a can of sealant/air. Just clean the rim and bead.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement