Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coolant intermittently running low

Options
  • 22-09-2020 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Know nothing about cars folks but fully aware that this is a big issue. Keep a 2 litre bottle of coolant in the boot in case it runs out. Bought a Vauxhall Astra 2013 about 9 months ago and imported it. All grand, however about 3 months ago a warning sign "Low Coolant Warning" or similar popped up. Stupid me just presumed that this was something to do with anti-freeze. Drove straight to Halfords, bought the coolant and your man stuck it in the correct place.

Since speaking to my da, I discovered that it is a bit of an issue and brought it to a local garage. They kept it for 2 days, cleared out the coolant tank and took it on a big run, said it was all sorted. The warning appeared about 4 weeks later. I can't feel an actual leak on the tank so I have no idea.

As an aside, was driving up in Dongeal the other day and the car hardly made it up the hill (was the steepest, one track, rural, hill that I had ever seen in over 10 years of driving mind you, we had a lot of luggage too). Concerned that this shouldn't have happened. Had to move in first gear about a metre until the car stopped and keep on repeating.

What I'm asking is, is my best bet to find an Opel specific garage in Dublin who can run their specific tests? Can't bring it back to your man before who charged about €150.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Coolant shouldn't go low but it happens and never for a good reason.
    There could be a leaking cap to a more serious leak or even head gasket issues.

If you have a loss of power and low coolant it could be the head gasket as the cylinder compression will be diminished.

You didn't mention if the car is smoky or if the coolant is discoloured?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The_Fitz

biko wrote: »
    Coolant shouldn't go low but it happens and never for a good reason.
    There could be a leaking cap to a more serious leak or even head gasket issues.

If you have a loss of power and low coolant it could be the head gasket as the cylinder compression will be diminished.

You didn't mention if the car is smoky or if the coolant is discoloured?

Not smokey at all as far as I can tell and the coolant in the tank is still the vibrant pink colour that it was when I put it in.

With regards to loss of power, that hill was scary, but there were some circumstances around it. Sometimes when you think you should be able to continue moving off in second you need to move down into first as it sounds like it's potentially about to idle.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You never said what engine is in it but I think you have 2 separate issues.

1. The coolant bottles on these are notorious for cracking.They wont loose coolant suddenly but will gradually drop over a few days or weeks.
    Theres also a coolant housing on the right side when you are looking in that leaks as well. Usually that's fairly obvious as you see the pink coolant sitting on the under tray or running down the side of the engine.

2. The loss of power is probably a coil pack (if its a petrol). Coil packs usually only show up under load ie trying to get up that steep hill. Sometimes they dont even show up on a diagnostic check until you drive them under load.

Easy enough to check. 3 torx screws holding it in place with a single block connector at the end of it. The whole lot will pull up in one go and if its gone then the first cylinder to your left when looking under the bonnet will leave part of the coil pack attached to the spark plug where its broken up inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭zg3409

I would avoid main dealer. Any back street garage should be able to help. Try get it sorted sooner rather than later and check level in coolant bottle visually daily/weekly when cold. Try not to open it or top it up when hot.

Only topping it up when you get a warning may mean engine damage which will cost far more than 150 euro.

As suggested get them to check coil pack issue.

Either way your car is not healthy and needs to be fixed before it gets worse or let's you down. I would not have a go yourself unless your mechanically minded and have good tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

I'm a bit more out of touch with newer Opels but head gaskets were notorious for going on them. People usually sold the car on when they realised they were losing coolant, got it checked and head gasket was leaking. As previously said, depends what engine is in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Car was fine for the first 6 months of ownership so I doubt was sold with head gasket problem. €150 paid already and 2 days looking at it? Avoid this guy at all costs. Go to a proper garage, not necessarily a main dealer, but with a premises and perhaps with a reccommendation from someone you know. It's not a big fault but will be if ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

If you have a coolant leak you would be finding a coolant stain on the driveway surface underneath, especially after it's been parked overnight. It has a very different feel than an oil or other fluid leak. Put an unfolded sheet of cardboard box under the engine area for the night if you don't have a clean dry surface.

Check your lower radiator hose that it's not leaking and the water pump area. Just get underneath and look carefully for signs of active leaking. If you find a leak you might save yourself the cost of a head gasket, which it sounds like the car isn't worth that much.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

zg3409 wrote: »
    I would avoid main dealer.

Yep - definitely avoid main dealers - they wont give you free information on an internet forum pointing you where the problem more than likely is or trying to help out.

I really dont know why I bother sometimes - the main dealer bashing is getting tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

You shouldn't take it personally - it's just main dealers are far more expensive - some people are happy to pay that extra - others not.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

I didn't say avoid the main dealer, after all they tend to know more about their own brands than the others. And many do give good value, not dear but often in and out in short time. I just said "not necessarily main dealer". Messer above kept the car for 2 days, charged €150 and still not repaired, what's good value about that "Indy"?

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    You never said what engine is in it but I think you have 2 separate issues.

1. The coolant bottles on these are notorious for cracking.They wont loose coolant suddenly but will gradually drop over a few days or weeks.
    Theres also a coolant housing on the right side when you are looking in that leaks as well. Usually that's fairly obvious as you see the pink coolant sitting on the under tray or running down the side of the engine.

2. The loss of power is probably a coil pack (if its a petrol). Coil packs usually only show up under load ie trying to get up that steep hill. Sometimes they dont even show up on a diagnostic check until you drive them under load.

Easy enough to check. 3 torx screws holding it in place with a single block connector at the end of it. The whole lot will pull up in one go and if its gone then the first cylinder to your left when looking under the bonnet will leave part of the coil pack attached to the spark plug where its broken up inside.

Engine: 1398cc Petrol

I can see some pink marks on the engine but unsure whether this would be from the coolant tank or not. I've put some links to pictures that i've just taken. Note, the car hasn't moved sin about 36 hours, and there's condensation in the tank, does that mean anything?

https://ibb.co/qMvM3vD

https://ibb.co/dBZ1ksy

https://ibb.co/5sZfX1J

Think I'd need to take it to a garage to check these coils. To be honest I should take it for a service anyway.

zg3409 wrote: »
    I would avoid main dealer. Any back street garage should be able to help. Try get it sorted sooner rather than later and check level in coolant bottle visually daily/weekly when cold. Try not to open it or top it up when hot.

Only topping it up when you get a warning may mean engine damage which will cost far more than 150 euro.

As suggested get them to check coil pack issue.

Either way your car is not healthy and needs to be fixed before it gets worse or let's you down. I would not have a go yourself unless your mechanically minded and have good tools.

Very good advice re checking before the warning light came on. My hesitation at not going to back street garage is my thinking that a main dealer might be able to plug something in and diagnose it properly?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you have a coolant leak you would be finding a coolant stain on the driveway surface underneath, especially after it's been parked overnight. It has a very different feel than an oil or other fluid leak. Put an unfolded sheet of cardboard box under the engine area for the night if you don't have a clean dry surface.

Not true, coolant leaks can be quite slow and hard to find. The cardboard trick only works is the leak is severe. I've chased many coolant issues through the years and rarely did I find it easily.

sumo12 wrote: »
    I'm a bit more out of touch with newer Opels but head gaskets were notorious for going on them. People usually sold the car on when they realised they were losing coolant, got it checked and head gasket was leaking. As previously said, depends what engine is in it.

Petrol 1398cc

The_Fitz wrote: »

I can see some pink marks on the engine but unsure whether this would be from the coolant tank or not. I've put some links to pictures that i've just taken. Note, the car hasn't moved sin about 36 hours, and there's condensation in the tank, does that mean anything?

Think I'd need to take it to a garage to check these coils. To be honest I should take it for a service anyway.

Looks like the coolant bottle has cracked alright.
    Pop me a pm - Im in the Dublin area -I could have a quick look for you Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

The_Fitz wrote: »

Those pink marks just look like paint to be honest. Maybe someone who knows this engine can confirm.
    Condensation in the tank is completely normal.

If you look just below the gear shift mechanism, above the pink marks, there is a pool of brown fluid collecting there. Might be related?

If anyones interested there was a leak at the water pump that was causing this.

Seems to be all sorted now thank god. Cheers for all the advice.

Advertisement