Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I think I'm being shafted...

Options
  • 24-05-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Hi all. New to this so go easy on me! My dilemma is with my job situation.

I started working about a month ago at a warehouse as a picker through a recruitment agency which means I have to get a phone call from the agency guy to inform me what my hours are for the next day. So if I don't get a call it means there's no work or I wasn't "requested".

The first week I started on a Wednesday up until Saturday. The following week I had just 2 days work!? The next week I worked Monday to Saturday including overtime (happy out) and the week just gone by I had just one days work?! And there's been no word from the agency regarding work for the upcoming week despite calling them about 3 times and being told I'd get a call back.

It's beyond a joke at this point. One week I'm working and the next I'm waiting around like an eejit for the phone to ring. I was thrilled when I got the job cos I was on J. A. for longer than I'd care to admit and the last thing I want to do is go back on it. I've started looking for jobs again but with my lack of relevant experience I'm not too optimistic and a lot of the job listings in my area seem to be internships (Jobbridge) which requires you to be on social welfare to be eligible... Cue the violin!

It's a very frustrating experience as I don't know where I stand or if I even have a job at times! Not to mention I've got bills to pay like everyone else. So if anyone can shed some light with some helpful advice on what to do it'd be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for waffling on and cheers in advance for any responses!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Hi all. New to this so go easy on me! My dilemma is with my job situation.

I started working about a month ago at a warehouse as a picker through a recruitment agency which means I have to get a phone call from the agency guy to inform me what my hours are for the next day. So if I don't get a call it means there's no work or I wasn't "requested".

The first week I started on a Wednesday up until Saturday. The following week I had just 2 days work!? The next week I worked Monday to Saturday including overtime (happy out) and the week just gone by I had just one days work?! And there's been no word from the agency regarding work for the upcoming week despite calling them about 3 times and being told I'd get a call back.

It's beyond a joke at this point. One week I'm working and the next I'm waiting around like an eejit for the phone to ring. I was thrilled when I got the job cos I was on J. A. for longer than I'd care to admit and the last thing I want to do is go back on it. I've started looking for jobs again but with my lack of relevant experience I'm not too optimistic and a lot of the job listings in my area seem to be internships (Jobbridge) which requires you to be on social welfare to be eligible... Cue the violin!

It's a very frustrating experience as I don't know where I stand or if I even have a job at times! Not to mention I've got bills to pay like everyone else. So if anyone can shed some light with some helpful advice on what to do it'd be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for waffling on and cheers in advance for any responses!

Were you promised regular work? How are you being shafted?

Between claiming JS for the days not working combined with the days you are working are you coming out with more money?

Also, you're building up job experience which will give you an advantage over others not so lucky, which will hopefully lead to a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ThunderGun87

I was told that it was 39 hours per week and anything over that is overtime and so far I've only worked one full week. I've signed off JS completely so I'm not making more money. Should probably get onto them about my situation. Well from my point of view it's frustrating, when you're waiting on a phone call that doesn't come there's a lot of uncertainty involved with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

I was told that it was 39 hours per week and anything over that is overtime and so far I've only worked one full week. I've signed off JS completely so I'm not making more money. Should probably get onto them about my situation. Well from my point of view it's frustrating, when you're waiting on a phone call that doesn't come there's a lot of uncertainty involved with that

That is crap. Definitely sign on again.

I'd also call into their offices and explain you signed off the dole on the basis you were being offered a 39 hour week and that you are expecting an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Moved this to Work & Jobs forum where you might find more appropriate answers.

Yeah it's far from ideal. That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

You've probably got a zero hour contract which basically means you are being shafted.

They have you on a hook & pull the string whenever they want and you have no rights & no cm back.

Find a new job.

Thanks. Just did that. Still coming to terms with this being a newbie and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Make sure you are getting casual Labour on the days you are not working you should be entitled unfortunately the situation you describe quite common for a lot of people don't think there's anything you can do about it just make sure and keep in touch with the agency and keep looking for more secure employment. Good luck

OU812 wrote:
    You've probably got a zero hour contract which basically means you are being shafted.

OU812 wrote:
    They have you on a hook & pull the string whenever they want and you have no rights & no cm back.

OU812 wrote:
    Find a new job.

OU812 wrote:

OU812 wrote:

OU812 wrote:
    Find a new job.

The guy at the agency told me it was 39 hours a week before I started. Wish it was that easy finding a new job but beggars can't be choosers. Fingers crossed though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The guy at the agency told me it was 39 hours a week before I started. Wish it was that easy finding a new job but beggars can't be choosers. Fingers crossed though.

What does your contract say?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote:
    What does your contract say?

Contract? Wasn't given one. That's a big part of why I think I'm being shafted. The guy at the recruitment agency just told me the job was 39 hours a week and may include overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

You don't have a job, they have a part time employee. Get actively looking for a new position & keep this going on the side while you do (if you can't sign on)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Best of luck with the job hunting. I'm sick of employers treating staff like this, and I am an employer. It's not right, it's not fair and they shouldn't be allowed get away with it. Things are fecking hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OU812 wrote: »
    You don't have a job, they have a part time employee. Get actively looking for a new position & keep this going on the side while you do (if you can't sign on)

Ahh, no, I think "they" (ie the company) actually have a contract with an agency to provide casual staff as and when needed, and the OP has a contract with the agency to work on a casual as-required basis.

OP, I'm guessing that you didn't realise that this was the deal when you accepted the job. And it's possible that the agency wasn't 100% sure either (though unlikely, I'd say they probably knew there would be some weeks with very little work).

Go back to Welfare and explain the situation to them. They should allow you to sign back on, and put you on casual dockets which gives you a way to tell them when you do and don't have work. They should be well used to this sort of situation.

Obviously this ins't a good situation for you, nor what you were looking for in a job. But I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "being shafted" though - there are actually some people who are happy to work on a casual basis, particularly if they are free to accept or decline work as it suits them. More likely it's a matter of mis-communications: just because something is full time (ie 35+ hours per week) doesn't mean it's permanent (ie that many hours every week on an on-going basis) - but many people hear one aspect and assume the other one.

As people have said, if you are looking for permanent full-time work then just keep looking. But take whatever casual work you can get in the meantime too - every day that you work builds up you experience and your contacts in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

i was on the same situation when i landed in sydney , what i did was sign up with 3 or 4 agencies and pretty much got 5 or 6 days every week between the lot of em. dunno if that would be an option for you , but its an idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Ahh, no, I think "they" (ie the company) actually have a contract with an agency to provide casual staff as and when needed, and the OP has a contract with the agency to work on a casual as-required basis.

OP, I'm guessing that you didn't realise that this was the deal when you accepted the job. And it's possible that the agency wasn't 100% sure either (though unlikely, I'd say they probably knew there would be some weeks with very little work).

Go back to Welfare and explain the situation to them. They should allow you to sign back on, and put you on casual dockets which gives you a way to tell them when you do and don't have work. They should be well used to this sort of situation.

Obviously this ins't a good situation for you, nor what you were looking for in a job. But I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "being shafted" though - there are actually some people who are happy to work on a casual basis, particularly if they are free to accept or decline work as it suits them. More likely it's a matter of mis-communications: just because something is full time (ie 35+ hours per week) doesn't mean it's permanent (ie that many hours every week on an on-going basis) - but many people hear one aspect and assume the other one.

As people have said, if you are looking for permanent full-time work then just keep looking. But take whatever casual work you can get in the meantime too - every day that you work builds up you experience and your contacts in the company.

Nobody likes working on a casual basis, to say some people are happy to, is to just repeat a lie from politicians and business.

I personally have never met anyone who liked having their hours range from zero to 40,
    can any poster here say they have.

Advertisement