Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He was a back, would you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Who'd he play for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

19543261 wrote: »
    Who'd he play for?
    Murray was in Munster academy for 2/3 years. From Waterford

http://intheloose.com/2013/07/28/is-booing-becoming-an-increasing-issue-in-rugby/

What do you think? Is people booing and jeering at a Rugby match becoming an issue?

I think absolutely not. People making noise at a stadium??? I never!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://intheloose.com/2013/07/28/is-booing-becoming-an-increasing-issue-in-rugby/

What do you think? Is people booing and jeering at a Rugby match becoming an issue?

Depends on what you're booing in my opinion. If someone like Delon or Liam Williams get up to their usual cheapshots then they deserve to be booed out of the building.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,993 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i do find booing the opposition kicker during penalties very disrespectful, but thankfully its more of a problem abroad than at home.

even in the ireland france womens 3/4 game our penalties were booed, while you could hear a pin drop for theirs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

:confused:

That's a stupid article tbh.

In the SH booing at goal kicking is far more the norm than silence at goal kicking in the NH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

That's a year old BTW. But no, let people boo, cheer or just sit there and watch. Who is to decide the proper way to support your team?

Except for Mexican waves which should be punished by death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Mexican waves are the best.

First match I ever attended had a mexican wave and it was the highlight of my day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I see Jonathan Kaplan has set up a refereeing blog. Hmmm. Doubt he'll be getting too many Christmas cards from his former colleagues. Mike Phillips might send him one though.

Rate the ref

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I see Jonathan Kaplan has set up a refereeing blog. Hmmm. Doubt he'll be getting too many Christmas cards from his former colleagues. Mike Phillips might send him one though.

Rate the ref

I think it's an interesting idea and if done properly can be very beneficial. For all that he can get involved in petty stuff a bit too often I really appreciate Owens' openness on these things on Twitter. I think seeing things from their point of view can be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think it's an interesting idea and if done properly can be very beneficial. For all that he can get involved in petty stuff a bit too often I really appreciate Owens' openness on these things on Twitter. I think seeing things from their point of view can be helpful.

Yeah, I had a wee skim and it seemed OK. As long as Kaplan doesn't take the moral high-ground though, because he went from being a very good ref, to rank poor by the time he retired.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Yeah, I had a wee skim and it seemed OK. As long as Kaplan doesn't take the moral high-ground though, because he went from being a very good ref, to rank poor by the time he retired.

All refs do that though. Look at Rolland. I think we underestimate the physical needs of a top level ref at times and as those diminish they will struggle more. It all depends on whether he has the self awareness to be fair.

I'd be very interested to read Walsh's story after he quits....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Scandalously, it still says Heineken Cup and RaboDirect PRO 12 on Score.

...shhh, nobody say a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Does anyone know what involvement setanta have with the broadcasting games this year. They're down on the quays doing a Photoshoot with Thomas O'leary and Tom Court at the moment?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have they got some Aviva games?

Just looking on their website and they list it under the Rugby section so maybe they're piggy backing on BT which they get lumped in with by Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I cannot stand the way BT present rugby.

Fremdschamen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Winters wrote: »
    Hagz wrote: »
    I cannot stand the way BT present rugby.

Fremdschamen.

I reckon it appeals to younger fans a bit more than listening to Hook and Pope whiter about whatever nonsense they are talking about this week. Still IMO it goes too far the other way. Personally I reckon Sky have it just about right albeit they will hype the life out Dragons v Edinburgh to the same extent as they'd hype up England v New Zealand which while not necessarily a bad thing from a marketing perspective can sometimes be a bit nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The guys on Sky Sports seem like a bunch of clones to me tbh. Very little personality or difference in opinion. RTE can get pretty cringy when Hook is on. I like BT, even if Dawson and Healy are annoying.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Have they got some Aviva games?

Just looking on their website and they list it under the Rugby section so maybe they're piggy backing on BT which they get lumped in with by Eircom.

They market BT Sport in Ireland and cross-promote their programmes.

In their own right, they don't have any regular live rugby this season (having lost the Top 14 again) and they seem to have lost the delayed Pro12 rights which they had since 2010. They still have Premiership Rugby highlights and normally repeat ITV's highllghts show on a Monday night. They may also have some of the Pacific Nations Cup when it comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Having watched one of the earlier 'Rugby Tonight' shows on BT. I can confirm the target audience is 16 years of age and younger. Awful dumbed down adolescent tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I saw the BT thing yesterday and didn't think it was too bad, even a little bit interesting. I was also glad to note that BOD has improved his presenting skills as I remember a season or two ago when he was on Sky and very visibly nervous.

At least they are trying something a bit different. They post a lot of their features on youtube. Boudjellal's interview is quite good for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Teferi wrote: »
    I saw the BT thing yesterday and didn't think it was too bad, even a little bit interesting. I was also glad to note that BOD has improved his presenting skills as I remember a season or two ago when he was on Sky and very visibly nervous.

Couldn't possibly be nervous around Austin Healey. :)

It's on again on bt2 if anyone wants to see it.

Austin Healey and Craig Doyle in an unholy union of rugby broadcasting. Awful.

It's on again on bt2 if anyone wants to see it.

Austin Healey and Craig Doyle in an unholy union of rugby broadcasting. Awful.

Craig Doyle can be forgiven. He's responsible for the immortal line:

"Craig Doyle will be eliminated"

• Advertisement

So anyhoo, the Sexton deal is confirmed, two weeks after the Indo broke the story.

"Munstergate" looks to have subsided after the (Sunday) Indo broke the story.

Ben Te'o will be arriving in a couple of weeks and while the Indo weren't the first to suggest it, they were the first to report it as a done deal.

I've always been a critic of the Indo, but is it time now to revise our opinion of them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement