Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Buer wrote: »
    BOD is media polished to within an inch of his life. Appearing on BT and/or Sky isn't going to change that. I think he'll be very bland.

I think it's possible to be polished and not be bland; Conor O'Shea being a prime example, very smooth but offers really good insights. Your point about BT/Sky is valid though, he can only be interesting/controversial if he's asked the right questions and is given enough time to answer properly and that may not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

razorblunt wrote: »
    Lads, what's on that NZ Herald link, it won't open for me at all?
    Cheers.

A 17 year old kid in Northland died after a head clash during a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    A 17 year old kid in Northland died after a head clash during a game.

Thanks for that, horrible news alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

ssaye2 wrote: »

That's a good read from a low-mid level guy who's making money but more importantly making decisions that will benefit him later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He's got a great deal there. MBAs in the top business schools in France can be €30k plus in fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I wonder if it's something Nagle would have looked into before taking the sabbatical from Rugby. Yes I know he seems to have a job lined up in the states but I can't imagine they would be paying for his college over there

Did I hear right that Simon Thomas said Euro fixtures put back a month, cant find tweet, seems really late

• Advertisement

Eddie O'Sullivan's first Pro D2 game in charge of Biarritz will be against Jeremy Davidson's Aurillac side on the 24th of August

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Did I hear right that Simon Thomas said Euro fixtures put back a month, cant find tweet, seems really late
    He tweeted mid august when theyre likely to be announced. With all kerfuffle surrounding european rugby this summer they were bound to be late enough but it cant see it being that problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I see Serge Blanco has been drafted in to sort out, sorry I mean help out, PSA.

http://www.thescore.ie/serge-blanco-france-rugby-1594880-Jul2014/

I'm not sure how he's going to be able to help them. The 6 Nations table is fixed and the RWC draw is done. There's no way they'll be able to draw Zebre or Treviso now... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ah he'll probably end up swinging an easier fixture list. First 2 build up games against Italy and Scotland, then the harder games against Wales and ireland followed by the grand slam decider against Georgia

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ah he'll probably end up swinging an easier fixture list. First 2 build up games against Italy and Scotland, then the harder games against Wales and ireland followed by the grand slam decider against Georgia

It's a mad one. Blanco did a good job in ruining Biarritz and falling out with senior players like Yachvili.

Kieran Treadwell, an exile, who was an Irish Youth in 2013 but played for England Under 18 in 2014 is playing for Harlequins in the Premiership 7s in Franklins Gardens tonight,
    This round and all the rounds are live on BT
    Interestingly Leinster and Ulster had tried to sign him but Conor O Shea helped persuade him to stay with Harlequins

Russia beat Zimbabwe 23-15 in world cup Repechage qualifier in Krasnoyarsk today. They advance to Repechage final against winner of todays other qualifier, Uruguay or Hong Kong.
    The final is played over two legs which will be played at end of September/start of October
    Nigel Owens refereed the Russian Zimbabwean game and George Clancy and Romain Poite are scheduled to referee the Repechage final legs.

Uruguay won 28-3.
    First leg of repechage final to be played in Russia and second in Uruguay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Will they be streamed, does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think the idea of making this game a 2-leg fixture is quite bizarre.

Especially as the climate and conditions in Uruguay v. Russia are so vastly different in October. You could have one game in terrible conditions and another in open sunny rugby conditions, and a 20 point win in Uruguay could equate to a 5 point win in Russia. These types of games should never take place over 2 legs, even if it means taking place in a neutral venue. They shouldn't be trying to fill seats at the expense of basic rugby logic.

19543261 wrote: »
    Will they be streamed, does anyone know?
    Probably will be on the IRB website and if not check the tier 2 forum as should be links from there
    I think the idea of making this game a 2-leg fixture is quite bizarre.

Especially as the climate and conditions in Uruguay v. Russia are so vastly different in October. You could have one game in terrible conditions and another in open sunny rugby conditions, and a 20 point win in Uruguay could equate to a 5 point win in Russia. These types of games should never take place over 2 legs, even if it means taking place in a neutral venue. They shouldn't be trying to fill seats at the expense of basic rugby logic.
    I see your point but you don't want to see key game in front of nobody and IRB definitely doesn't. Weather conditions play a role everywhere and its always been the way apart from the odd game or two that in the world cup qualifiers games are 2 legged affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Russia's a big country. There are some places they could play in October that would give good conditions for open rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

matthew8 wrote: »
    Russia's a big country. There are some places they could play in October that would give good conditions for open rugby.

Their last game was in Krasnoyarsk. I'd imagine that is cold as f**k in October.

Russia probably wouldn't want an open game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Their last game was in Krasnoyarsk. I'd imagine that is cold as f**k in October.

Of course it's cold in October there, they could also play it in Sochi, where it's warm enough in October, point is the weather's not unfair against Russia because they can basically choose what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I see your point but you don't want to see key game in front of nobody and IRB definitely doesn't. Weather conditions play a role everywhere and its always been the way apart from the odd game or two that in the world cup qualifiers games are 2 legged affairs.

Weather conditions "play a role everywhere" to entirely different extents and in entirely different ways. Which is the point I was making.

Trying to get more people through the door should not mean we need to impact the standards of the game itself, in my opinion. These types of fixtures only work in situations where you can be certain the conditions will be somewhat uniform, and that will never apply to international competitions really (to whatever extent aggregate scoring ever works in rugby, which is not a great deal). For me it's better than randomly assigning home advantage, but still not the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gagnidze

matthew8 wrote: »

Usually plays in the Sochi.

average temperature in October - 21°C

but

for this, they have Siberia :D

Jaysus there's Murray Kinsella on tv there!

One for exposing the wafflers and hacks for sure. You could tell the guy was going places from reading his blog (3 years ago is it now?). Very happy for him.

19543261 wrote: »
    Jaysus there's Murray Kinsella on tv there!

One for exposing the wafflers and hacks for sure. You could tell the guy was going places from reading his blog (3 years ago is it now?). Very happy for him.

What was he on?

• Advertisement

Limerick 7's. Was tasked with giving a 10 second soundbite-opinion yet still managed to enlighten. Big lock of a guy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement