Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

TheAlbert wrote: »
    We are travelling with kids and we can get a direct train from St Pancras to Gatwick Airport, it removes the need to be on the tube.

The Bedford train. Yeah, the train system didn't seem to be as big of a screw up as it was in Cardiff, but there were still queues. Best bet is probably to leave the ground 10 mins early and guarantee the journey. Or bite the bullet and take a taxi into London to meet your train (Victoria, Farringdon, London Bridge also have direct trains to Gatwick). Taxis were plentiful about a 10 min walk away from the stadium on Stratford High Street (avoid walking towards Westfield shopping centre - hang a right after the fanzone and follow a few signs. You come to a big tunnel thing and if you go thru that it's a few mins up to the high street. Also the DLR light rail station is on Stratford high street (hang a left when you reach the high street - it's just past the gala bingo hall.)

If you're travelling thru kings cross with kids, allow some wiggle room time wise so they can look in the Harry Potter shop. I'm 29 and still love it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Arriva trains wales have a twitter account which displays a map of Cardiff central and the queuing system for match days.

Most of the queues are for trains heading east. I'm guessing those heading west will have it easier as they are directed to a different platform.

Very few queues for north wales. Lots of people travelled to Shrewsbury or Chester and changed there as the trains were less busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Anyone been to the fan zones on a match day yet? We're over next week for the Italy game but we're thinking about going to either the fan zone at the Olympic Park or Wembley Park for the England Australia game on the Saturday night. Not sure if that is a better option than just going to the pub?! Anyone any thoughts on the fan zones?

bilston wrote: »
    Anyone been to the fan zones on a match day yet? We're over next week for the Italy game but we're thinking about going to either the fan zone at the Olympic Park or Wembley Park for the England Australia game on the Saturday night. Not sure if that is a better option than just going to the pub?! Anyone any thoughts on the fan zones?

They're good craic but check the closing times. The one at the Olympic stadium closed at 7 on Wednesday.

Where are you staying for the Italy game? There is a shopping centre called Westfield right beside the train station (& maybe 10/15 mins walk from the stadium) that you pretty much have to walk through anyway to get to the ground. However there are lots of food places, both in the centre itself at the food court, and other restaurants. We went to a place called the real Greek - mainly mezes but really good food, and an added bonus of 25% off your food bill if you are wearing an international rugby jersey. We wore Leinster jersies and still got the discount :) but plenty of places to eat there and lots of shops too. If I was going again I'd travel to Stratford early on to window shop / eat / drink (there are pubs in the centre too which show the rugby games.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

sullivlo wrote: »
    They're good craic but check the closing times. The one at the Olympic stadium closed at 7 on Wednesday.

Where are you staying for the Italy game? There is a shopping centre called Westfield right beside the train station (& maybe 10/15 mins walk from the stadium) that you pretty much have to walk through anyway to get to the ground. However there are lots of food places, both in the centre itself at the food court, and other restaurants. We went to a place called the real Greek - mainly mezes but really good food, and an added bonus of 25% off your food bill if you are wearing an international rugby jersey. We wore Leinster jersies and still got the discount :) but plenty of places to eat there and lots of shops too. If I was going again I'd travel to Stratford early on to window shop / eat / drink (there are pubs in the centre too which show the rugby games.)

Cheers, staying with friends in Angel so fairly central.

Good advice about getting down there early. It's a 4.45 KO I think so may aim to get there around lunchtime which would work pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Well the Wembley fan zone won't be open anyway, it's only open for two match days. It's very out if the way too. There is one in Richmond too, but given its proximity to Twickenham it might be difficult to get in and out of.

There's also an official supporters club party on in central London - Q&A with Stringer, Ferris etc, showing the game, Hermitage Green gig and DJ. Think it's £25 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

anybody been to the Richmond fanzone yet? any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭llcoolj14

sullivlo wrote: »

Most of the fanzines at the stadiums in London on matchday, up you need a match ticket to enter and they close before the game starts (are not open post game).
    The one in Cardiff last week was great, but that is being ran differently, and of course, it was an Indian summers day...most of them have no covering, so if the weather is poor, watch out. There has been talk of queues of 40+ minutes to get food or drink in the London ones too.

Re The Westfield Shopping centre beside the Olympic Stadium, it's one of the biggest in Europe, but sending anyone there is akin to saying head to Dundrum after a game in Dublin (experience wise as opposed to distance!). All the restaurants are chains I think, and reports over here that they put up prices for event days(including on alcohol)miso do be weary of any discount.

The biggest meeting of Irish fans next Saturday night in London will no doubt be here,which is being backed by the IRFU and all four provinces which is very close to where your staying.
    http://ursc.co/?p=7127

Lots of London wil be rammed for that game thou,so really depends on what your looking for!Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭llcoolj14

The only London stadium fanzone(well it's about a 20 minute walk to Twickenham) that operates like the one in Cardiff lots of Irish fans will be familiar with.

Ok spot if your going to a game, I personally wouldn't travel from central London all the way out to just go there. Got a beer easily enough....a good few foods vans/tents bit didn't eat there.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

To anyone who travelled to Cardiff last Friday 18th September on the delayed 8.30am flight with Flybe, I have some good news! Because the flight was over 3 hours delayed we are all entitled to €250 in compensation. I contacted them through the website, quoting the relevant EU regulation and got an email reply this morning saying that we are entitled to it. (I wasn't sure as there is a loophole if the flight is delayed in extraordinary circumstances) They have offered me €350 credit against future Flybe flights or the €250 that the regulation requires. Happy days!! Spread the news to anyone you know that was on that flight. We had only paid €40 each for those flights which makes it all the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Anyone hear expected crowds numbers for Sunday game? Tickets must have gone well.

Looks like close to a full house according to GT.
    The attendance is set to nudge the World Cup record of 89,019 set at the same venue last Sunday for the New Zealand-Argentina clash.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/strong-second-string-ireland-targeting-a-bonus-point-victory-1.2366911

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DannySparks

hi anyone have suggestions on a decent watering hole on route to wembey tomorrow, was going to head out towards the stadium early and watch the other games

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

hi anyone have suggestions on a decent watering hole on route to wembey tomorrow, was going to head out towards the stadium early and watch the other games

Kilburn is a good shout. Few stops away on the Jubilee Line. North London Tavern and Black Lion just down from the station will be showing the other games, and there's an Oktoberfest festival in Kilburn Grange Park next door to the Black Lion

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Haven't been there myself, but have seen the pictures and it is class! We train in Old Deer Park and some of the girls went in today after training this morning and were very impressed with it. Capacity for 10,000

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

For anybody travelling tomorrow, map of entrance points here

Anybody travelling to Olympic - its here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

So looks like we have another world record attendance on our hands tomorrow.

90,000 (mainly Irish) on the cards tomorrow in Wembley, can't wait.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Looks like close to a full house according to GT.

Less than 500 ticket available on the website from what I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Less than 500 ticket available on the website from what I heard

Can I ask what your source is? (genuine!)

kuang1 wrote: »
    Can I ask what your source is? (genuine!)

I'm a pack volunteer, talking to other volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Just cancelled 2 rooms for the sat sun night in the king St premier inn in bristol the weekend of the French game in case anyone is looking for accom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'm a pack volunteer, talking to other volunteers.

Gotcha thanks. Hope you're enjoying it!

kuang1 wrote: »
    Gotcha thanks. Hope you're enjoying it!

Yeah, I am - though had to give away half my shifts due to work, was hoping to pick up some more, but haven't :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

ENG mightened be having the greatest Rugby World Cup themselves, but they are hosting a great one!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Was at the fanzone in Richmond yesterday, I'd advise not going, the queues for beer and and food were genuinely 45 mins plus, not enough bars, not enough people serving.

Too many people turned up last night too, was a queue of about 3 or 4k waiting to get outside and they ended letting them all in after a rush of people broke through barriers and stuff for the England. dangerous stuff.

all in all not a good experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Hearing that too, Richmond station was at capacity before final whistle too!

But hearing it is quiet for other matches, But Twickenham has loads of pubs showing matches, more choice of beer and the Barmy arms has bought a 80 inch TV for outside!

Loads of pubs saying on twitter its been a rubbish WC for them as the PR has worked and everyone has stayed away from the area = quieter pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I noticed someone asked this a few pages back but there wasn't much of an answer. can someone tell me is the train situation in cardiff the same for people travelling west? I'm hoping to get a train to bridgend after the france game.

I was supposed to get a train westwards, there was a fair bit of a queue. It's over to the side of the main entrance though for this queue. They hand out queuing plans for the station beforehand too, so you know where to go.

It was only after we got home that I noticed that I was supposed to take the valley lines, so don't know about queue for that one.

It's a big event with tens of thousands of people, of course there'll be queues for everywhere. Plan accordingly and it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Heading over to the Italy game. Anyone been to the Olympic stadium fanzone? What are beer prices?

Also, wondering where would be best place to watch England V Australia the night before with a good atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

Cat C tickets up for the France match for anyone that's still searching, the D's were all gone unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

I know it's a long shot but I'm looking for 2 cat D or cat C tickets for the France game. PM me if any are available. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I know it's a long shot but I'm looking for 2 cat D or cat C tickets for the France game. PM me if any are available. Thanks

Did you read the post above yours????

Advertisement