Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cranresident

I personally was hoping Seamie O'Boyle would do well in the election and he got my no 1. However his canvassers let him down badly on Wednesday night in Cranmore. Brian O'Boyle a St Angelas College lecturer verbally abused Labour Canvasses and Marcella McGarry, 2 pensioners who were being canvassed at the time by PBP witnessed Brian O'Boyle abusing McGarry, with four other men joining in. The pensioners call B O'Boyle on his behavour and he and his gang then preceded to abuse the pensioners. Disgraceful behavour. Firstly dont come into our community and abuse anyone, regardless of their political side. I have huge problems with issues with these parties but shouting and acting in such an aggressive manner is unacceptable. secondly this so called educated man instigated the whole thing, there was quite a large crowd of them and residents felt very intimidated, and would not open the doors after this incident. This story went round Cranmore like wild fire and people are disgusted. Unfortunately poor Seamie has lost votes because of this, pbp need to drop this liability, I hope Brian O'Boyle is prosecuted for his behavour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Tupamaros wrote: »
    David Cawley didn't either. Given he's a blueshirt, that took some balls so fair play to him. More independent minded that most party hacks.

Also, on the Rovers issue. Cllrs. are representatives of the people. They get invited to public events, when sporting/cultural achievements have occurred etc. It would be worse in my opinion of they snubbed events they were not directly involved in and invited to by the people involved. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. How about worry about council policy, rather than how many games of bloody football you see a candidate at.

Yes fair comment. For my part I was only having a bit of 'Paxman" fun with the Rovers photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I personally was hoping Seamie O'Boyle would do well in the election and he got my no 1. However his canvassers let him down badly on Wednesday night in Cranmore. Brian O'Boyle a St Angelas College lecturer verbally abused Labour Canvasses and Marcella McGarry, 2 pensioners who were being canvassed at the time by PBP witnessed Brian O'Boyle abusing McGarry, with four other men joining in. The pensioners call B O'Boyle on his behavour and he and his gang then preceded to abuse the pensioners. Disgraceful behavour. Firstly dont come into our community and abuse anyone, regardless of their political side. I have huge problems with issues with these parties but shouting and acting in such an aggressive manner is unacceptable. secondly this so called educated man instigated the whole thing, there was quite a large crowd of them and residents felt very intimidated, and would not open the doors after this incident. This story went round Cranmore like wild fire and people are disgusted. Unfortunately poor Seamie has lost votes because of this, pbp need to drop this liability, I hope Brian O'Boyle is prosecuted for his behavour

Yet he still got your No.1? I suppose candidates can't babysit their canvassers but they really should be briefing them on the way they should conduct themselves before letting them loose. Didn't hear about this but wonder what he himself had to say? Was he with them at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Did you contact Seamie to report it?

No he was not there at the time but was around and it was reprted, and fair play to him he went and apologised to the two pensioners imediately, who he would know really well and their families and the people of Cranmore, he is well liked over here. Such a shame on his last night of canvassing, think he would of walked in otherwise, but thats just my opinion.

No he was not there at the time but was around and it was reprted, and fair play to him he went and apologised to the two pensioners imediately, who he would know really well and their families and the people of Cranmore, he is well liked over here. Such a shame on his last night of canvassing, think he would of walked in otherwise, but thats just my opinion.

Not over yet

Not over yet

Not by a long chalk. Going on transfers and eliminations I'd fancy Seamie to nick the seat from McGarry.

Me too, big changes for Sligo

Kettleson wrote: »
    Not by a long chalk. Going on transfers and eliminations I'd fancy Seamie to nick the seat from McGarry.

I'd hope so, but it depends on how many transfers the likes of Kilgannon and Gilroy get from O'Grady and McSharry tho.

How many seats are up for the Sligo area?

I'd hope so, but it depends on how many transfers the likes of Kilgannon and Gilroy get from O'Grady and McSharry tho.

How many seats are up for the Sligo area?

True...

10 seats.

• Advertisement

Think Seamie will get trasfers from Bree and McManus

Think Seamie will get trasfers from Bree and McManus

Good point. He'll get a fairly decent surplus from Bree I'd rekon

Good point. He'll get a fairly decent surplus from Bree I'd rekon

That's a cert, and I'd say he'd get transfers from the first candidates to be eliminated, in preference to Kilgannon and J McGarry. If he gets in I'll certainly raise a glass to his achievement.

Kettleson wrote: »
    That's a cert, and I'd say he'd get transfers from the first candidates to be eliminated, in preference to Kilgannon and J McGarry. If he gets in I'll certainly raise a glass to his achievement.

Me too. I'd be delighted for him.

This may well be the start of things to come in the future a la general elections. After all, Ming ran away with the euro election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

He was convicted in Sligo District Court of threatening behaviour.

Not for the incident referred to here, though.

See the Irish Times website today, for the report.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/anti-water-charges-campaigner-threatened-pregnant-iw-worker-1.2186567

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Geuze wrote: »
    He was convicted in Sligo District Court of threatening behaviour.

Not for the incident referred to here, though.

See the Irish Times website today, for the report.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/anti-water-charges-campaigner-threatened-pregnant-iw-worker-1.2186567

You really need to read that article again, his case was dismissed as the accuser failed to turn up in court.

EDIT: I see you're on about Brian O Boyle, my mistake..

Advertisement