Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

someones cutting trees on my land

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

Thanks for all the replies.
    The insurance risk was the first thing that popped into my head as i doubt these guys are properly set up or have licences to fell trees.
    Stuck a few signs up yesterday evening and took a few pictures of them so that should cover me insurance wise for now.

Helped myself to the pile of cut up timber yesterday evening. Should get me through the winter!

Today i will contact the local guarda station to report the whole thing.
    Should also help insurance wise if anything was ever to happen.

thanks for the tip on the Reps - never thought of that.
    Is it a case that you can not cut down trees (mature) while in Reps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Whatever the understandable temptation (and this would boil my pi55 too! :mad:), don't go spiking the remaining trees.
    While it'd be most deeply satisfying to think that the thief's chainsaw was destroyed, there is a possibility that they could be injured as a direct result of your actions, which could put you into a whole other world of grief as regards your insurance company, the Gardai, and their attitude to 'mantraps'.

All you can legally do is notify the Gardai, spread the word among the neighbours, and make it difficult for the thieves to do it again. They'll know they've been rumbled when they find 'their' firewood gone, so with a bit of luck they'll make themselves scarce for the immediate future.
    Fence or otherwise block off all access points, and visit the site more frequently yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

You could always put a sign saying that you have spiked the trees ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

LK_Dave wrote: »
    You could always put a sign saying that you have spiked the trees ;)

:D

Or this:
    174531.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Thats just gas! very very funny.

The only way to deal with it is to be present there as much as you can, perhaps leaving some visible work half done.

I had a similar problem with shooters, even with signs up, and went down more regularly and that seemed to put a stop to it but I got sick for a while last winter and they must have heard about it and down they went again. Hoping to catch them this year. A friend of mine had a similar problem and they even cut his wire to get access.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

In the late 70s my father had trouble with the nomadic peoples stealing Sitka at christmas time-when he came across them he discharged a clip of bullets over their heads. They never came back. Each year around Christmas he would go back to the plantations at any hour of the night and fire at random into the trees.
    We keep up the tradition. Works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Forget about the no trespassing signs. Don't work.
    This sign works great, nobody wants to hang around too long with this!
    Nice. How about "no trespassing/gun club" signs?

Advertisement