Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Vectra cdti - few questions

Options
  • 24-06-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hello All

I have god old workhorse, Vectra cdti with 180,000 miles and passed nct recently. Have had it four years and am fondly attached to it.

The steering recently got a bit stiff, but can be driven ok. it did a 500 mile trip this week.
    During the advent of this stiffness the power steering warning light came on. I have googled this and read various comments. the fluid level is ok, there is no undue noise from the power steering. I believe mine to be electrically powered p.a.s.

A mechanic had a brief drive , his answer was that the car was not worth repairing, even to pay him to check it out ,

Just enquiring on here to see if anyone has an opinion or had similioar trouble
    The day the warning light came on ,so did the engine oil light, the oil level is ok.

my second question is re my clutch. the car had a new clutch two years ago.

it was quite juddery when reversing up a hill, but I did not bother enquiring about this. Last month my son ,who has no experience in pulling a trailer, reversed a heavyish trailer into a yard(how,i don't know)

since that the clutch pedal comes right out to end of travel before it bites, I feel he did some harm, but it does not slip, so chaps, how long is a piece of string? how do I estimate how much life remains in my clutch.

This old year is like a family dog to me, I am reluctant to have her put down

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

If the clutch is much different to how it was previous days then I'd say it could be on the way out.
    Having said that it could go 5 - 10K if driven gently. (i.e son doesn't drive it :-) )
    If the engine oil light is on it might not be an oil issue maybe it is prompting for service and reset of service interval.
    When was it last serviced?
    The tight steering ... dunno sounds expensive.

I'm attached to my car, have had it over 13 years, I would pull the trigger if it had this many issues.
    But that's me, and we all have our own reasons for the way we go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Power steering problems are obnoxious and potentially dangerous, anyone who's owned a Mk1 Fabia will tell you. They aren't always caused by faults with components specific to the PAS; poor charging (bad alternator + sticky throttle body) or a more general electrical fault can affect systems including the PAS.

The fact that a seemingly unrelated warning light came on at the same time might suggest an electrical problem somewhere, or it could be unrelated. Whether the loss of PAS is intermittent/constant/notched/complete can help you diagnose the problem.

FYI, a leak (steering rack) is an NCT fail and I'd imagine any other type of fault with the PAS is a fail.

Advertisement