Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

S-tronic vs multi-tronic Audi A6

Options
  • 20-06-2019 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi Ll,
    Apologies if already asked ( I couldn’t find it anyway), I’m thinking of buying a 141 A6.
    Was thinking of going automatic, are the S-tronic boxes much better and is there anything I need to look out for

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

I think all A6's of that era are S Tronic (i may be mistaken)

S Tronic is Audis version of the VW DSG gearbox, the are semi auto dual clutch - great gearbox.

Multitronic is a fully automatic gearbox CVT, they used to have a bad rep but the later versions around 2010/11 are pretty good.

If it was me i'd go S Tronic though just make sure it has had oil changes when it's supposed to have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the S-Tronic was only just starting to appear on the A6 at some stage in 2014 just before it got the facelift when the Multitronic box was dropped. S-Tronic is way superior and it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Not 100 % sure. But as far as i know the way to tell the difference between the multi and the s tronic in 2014 was the single tailpipe on either side is s tronic, and the twin on lhs is multi. Also i think all the 177bhp were multi and the 190bhp was s.
    Again. Someone will prob correct me but as i am currently looking for one, these are the guidelines i am working off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I had a lend of an A5 tfsi multi-tronic for a while recently and found it pretty boring tbh. Great on fuel but the box just felt very mundane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Mine is late 2014 and its S-Tronic. As mentioned above, externally, you can tell by the tailpipes. One on either side rather than the twin pipes on LHS. Theres also an Ultra badge on the boot lid.
    Also, the adblue tank came in then too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Contrary to popular belief DSG gearboxes are far from bulletproof.

CVT units are worse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Contrary to popular belief DSG gearboxes are far from bulletproof.

CVT units are worse

You must have alerts set up to get a notification when DSG is mentioned ? It's getting a bit boring at this stage. Did the inventor of the DSG reverse over your dog or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Azatadine wrote: »
    Mine is late 2014 and its S-Tronic. As mentioned above, externally, you can tell by the tailpipes. One on either side rather than the twin pipes on LHS. Theres also an Ultra badge on the boot lid.
    Also, the adblue tank came in then too.

Do they have a difference 'gear stick' also?

No. The gearstick changed with the FL. Not sure why they did a kind of halfway house at that stage in late 2014. Probably would have made more sense to introduce the S-Tronic/190 a few months later with the FL.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Not too highjack the thread, but what is the general opinion on Audi A6 190hp 151-171?
    Audi was always a very high grade unreliable car, but how are those doing. I am no Audi fan, but A6 with ultra sline pack looks very very good.

• Advertisement

I've 100,000 miles on mine and have had no issues at all.

I went from the 177 manual to 190 ultra S-Tronic and it's a far superior car to drive. And feels much quicker than the 13 horse power difference should make it? Maybe the auto is a better driver I suppose.

One comment that I do have is that the S-Tronic is a bit dodgy at really low speeds if I put my foot down. Seems to take a second to think. Needs getting used to at roundabouts etc. Its much better at normal speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

We have a multitronic 141 A6. Haven't ever driven the S tronic so can't comment on comparison but I find the multitronic perfectly fine. It's an 8 speed, it also has the sports mode which I use the odd time to drop it down a gear if ever needed. It also has the paddles on the steering wheel which I never use.

To the poster asking about buying an A6, I can't fault it. We have the S Line model and find it a lovely car. 70000kms on it now, so a low miler really. For comparison, I also have same year 530d msport and I find the Audi every bit as good, Lower power of course being a 2 litre but apart from that I don't know which I prefer. If you're thinking of buying one I'd recommend it.

Advertisement