Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought a bad car...

Options
  • 19-06-2019 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hi i purchased a 2017 car in February and it has been nothing but grief, has been back to the main dealer 6 times all for electrical issues and now today the clutch pedal fell to the floor and the car will not start.. just wondering if anybody has any experience dealing with a situation like this.. car has 41000 miles on it and was registered in may 2017,

ill also add that i only got the car back from main dealer 2 days ago after them having it for more than 10 days..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Is it still under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

What model?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mark Donnelly

yes car is still under warranty, it is a 2017 astra 1.4 turbo petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Personally i'd bring it back and get a refund.

do they have to offer me a refund or a replacement or is it up to garage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

do they have to offer me a refund or a replacement or is it up to garage?

Any repair should be permanent and the fact it has been back so many times would imply they haven't been permanent. They still have the other 2 R's which is replace or refund. Read the consumer advice website and the sales of goods and supply of services act, then calmy explain why you want a refund not a replacement. But it is still a negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Easy as that.

i would happily take a different car to the same value as i payed for the astra, still waiting since 9:30 this morning for him to contact me, i have tried ringing him several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

i would happily take a different car to the same value as i payed for the astra, still waiting since 9:30 this morning for him to contact me, i have tried ringing him several times.

Main dealer?

Turn up, in the showroom, wait until there are potential buyers there if you can.

And make your feelings known, loudly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Same as a tub of egg mayo that smells a bit funny after you get it home.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Any repair should be permanent and the fact it has been back so many times would imply they haven't been permanent. They still have the other 2 R's which is replace or refund. Read the consumer advice website and the sales of goods and supply of services act, then calmy explain why you want a refund not a replacement. But it is still a negotiation.

I don't think we've enough fact's to say that anything is implied.

To give a better answer, we'd need a much more in depth description of the faults that just "electrical issues".

It's possibly one too many faults, regardless of whether they are repeat repairs or not. Give us a bit more info OP.

• Advertisement

Same as a tub of egg mayo that smells a bit funny after you get it home.

I don't think we've enough fact's to say that anything is implied.

To give a better answer, we'd need a much more in depth description of the faults that just "electrical issues".

It's possibly one too many faults, regardless of whether they are repeat repairs or not. Give us a bit more info OP.

first the back left light cluster stopped working, found to be a bad earth then 3 days after getting it back the right hand side back light cluster stopped also found to be a bad earth then both sides went at once and they said it was something to do with a control body modular (whatever that is), the car then has a screen for radio nav media etc: both picture and sound would go and then return after 50-60 seconds and all data stored on the unit would be lost( paired phone, saved radio stations). interior lights would randomly come on while driving and then not work while the doors are open (yes the switch is set to come on when the doors open). the central locking would only work at times more often then not the key would need to be inserted into car to open or lock.. today the clutch pedal fell straight to the floor while driving and the whole car died.. absolutely nothing working no lights, radio and car will not start... yes the car was purchased from a main dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Tell em you want to trade it back in for another. Same year , same spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

....... wrote: »
    Main dealer?

Turn up, in the showroom, wait until there are potential buyers there if you can.

What exactly will that do? a couple of buyer walk out and the OP ends up with nothing apart from maybe the Garda arriving for disturbing the peace

30 mins later the dealer will be full of other buyers and they will continue on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Main dealer?

And ring Joe Duffy while you're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Technique

Sounds like there may have been water damage in a previous life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

I’ve heard Opels can be a nightmare

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Document everything. Write to the dealer detailing all the faults and times and dates.

Say that if it fails again you reserve your right to "reject" the car as it's not of merchantable quality.

Mention that whilst you appreciate their efforts to repair the car there is clearly something fundamentally wrong with it that doesn't appear to be fixable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Reading this thread I’m wondering is there any advantage to buying from a garage. If you buy privately you pay less at least, same risk as buying from garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Nikki Sixx wrote: »

Definitely a contributory factor here IMO, new Opels are lacking in quality.
    Reading this thread I’m wondering is there any advantage to buying from a garage. If you buy privately you pay less at least, same risk as buying from garage.

That's not really accurate though. If OP bought that car privately, he'd be on his own now, paying for repair after repair himself and if he got sick of paying for repair after repair, there's nothing he can do.

He's bought from a garage and although the car is failing. The warranty is paying for repair after repair and if the OP feels like it needs to many repairs relative to its age/ price then they have avenues they can pursue to get some kind of satisfaction.

It's much much safer than a private sale and that is particularly obvious when you do end up with a troublesome car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

My Mam had the very same problem with a 2016 Nissan Pulsar, had specifically said she didnt want an ex-rental (later found a sticker mark for 'Diesel' you would see on rentals) when buying the car (cash) and one which would be reliable, she had nothing but trouble with oil leaks, electrics etc the list goes on. The garage in question is very well known and although they tried everything to fix the car to a reliable standard, the faults were too much and they ended up replacing it with a slightly better spec.

Hopefully you get sorted OP, some solid advice above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    My Mam had the very same problem with a 2016 Nissan Pulsar, had specifically said she didnt want an ex-rental (later found a sticker mark for 'Diesel' you would see on rentals) when buying the car (cash) and one which would be reliable, she had nothing but trouble with oil leaks, electrics etc the list goes on. The garage in question is very well known and although they tried everything to fix the car to a reliable standard, the faults were too much and they ended up replacing it with a slightly better spec.

Hopefully you get sorted OP, some solid advice above.

A lot of cars now have that sticker, doesn't have to be a rental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Technique wrote: »
    Sounds like there may have been water damage in a previous life.

That was my first thought also

trying to ring the dealer this morning, but the owner isn't taking phone calls he is in meetings all day even doe he said he would make contact first thing this morning... getting really pissed off now with it...

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What exactly will that do? a couple of buyer walk out and the OP ends up with nothing apart from maybe the Garda arriving for disturbing the peace

30 mins later the dealer will be full of other buyers and they will continue on

The creaky wheel gets the oil.

Perhaps you dont have experience of how to effectively complain?

The OP has tried to phone and is being ignored. He cannot be ignored in person.

You think that making a complaint equates to the criminal act of disturbing the peace!!!??! Seems a bit of a leap to make!

I can guarantee you the OP will get more satisfaction out of a direct face to face confrontation rather than being fobbed off by phone every day.

I dunno when the last time you were in a car dealership was but in my experience they are rarely "full" of customers and are usually desperate for a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Very little advantage, especially while buying from an independent garage. The only thing that comes to my mind is financing.

The money is way better spent on buying privately and scrutinising the car at trusted garage.

As with any other car brand.

grogi wrote: »
    Very little advantage, especially while buying from an independent garage. The only thing that comes to my mind is financing.

The money is way better spent on buying privately and scrutinising the car at trusted garage.

Eh, warranty, financing, you are covered by consumer law and not caveat emptor.

Its MUCH safer to buy from a decent garage.

Eh, warranty, financing, you are covered by consumer law and not caveat emptor.

Its MUCH safer to buy from a decent garage.

That's the difference between theory and practice. Should it all be Hunky dory, we wouldn't get the constant ingress of threads here...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

That's the difference between theory and practice. Should it all be Hunky dory, we wouldn't get the constant ingress of threads here...

It won't stop these things from happening but the difference is that you have legal comeback if it's a garage as they have to abide by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act.

The consumer protection agency could be contacted if need be to assist in a case and if failing that legal action could be sought against the company.

Buying privately limits this and you rarely have a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement

Yes but you at least have an avenue to follow up as opposed to caveat emptor.

Advertisement