Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner permit / third one

Options
  • 12-06-2019 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi I am on my third learner permit, I failed the test a few times, I was not prepared.

I have my test tomorrow, better prepared. If I don't pass the test, do I have to re-apply all over again for the learner permit {including the 12 mandatory lessons] or do I just renew it (showing proof I sat/paid the test] hoping I pass but just good to know!:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Halfdane

Once you have proof that you have sat a test, they’ll renew your permit for another 12 months no problem. Good luck tomorrow!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If you have proof that you have taken a test, you will be given a two year permit... although fingers crossed that won't be necessary and you'll be applying for your pink licence. :)

Posy wrote: »
    If you have proof that you have taken a test, you will be given a two year permit... although fingers crossed that won't be necessary and you'll be applying for your pink licence. :)

Not if it’s your third or subsequent one. They’re only renewed for a single year from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Halfdane wrote: »
    Not if it’s your third or subsequent one. They’re only renewed for a single year from then on.

That's only if the renewal is on the basis of an upcoming driving test. If it's on the basis of a failed test (in the last two years), then the permit is renewed for two years, like Posy said.

From https://www.ndls.ie/about-the-learner-permit -
    If you have taken a driving test you will be given a two year permit while if you provide confirmation that you have applied for a driving test you will be given a one year permit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Halfdane wrote: »

1 Year if you only applied for it. 2 years if you actually sat it.

• Advertisement

zepman wrote: »
    That's only if the renewal is on the basis of an upcoming driving test. If it's on the basis of a failed test (in the last two years), then the permit is renewed for two years, like Posy said.
    1 Year if you only applied for it. 2 years if you actually sat it.

Seems like I was misinformed so, sorry!

Advertisement