Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car radio recommendation

Options
  • 10-06-2019 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

Got a 2010 ford focus and been looking at radios from installers in Dublin and got suggestion of a Pioneer MVH-A200VBT by two installers

Went on Amazon and seen it for about E150 and most places are selling it for E280 and then E140 or so install, so if i go online id get it installed for “free”

Looking for USB at the front if possible as i don't like the idea of the back of the unit and running a cable somewhere, then bluetooth for calls etc, DAB is pointless as there is a handful of stations here

Do i go with that radio or could someone suggest another one? Dare i install myself?

Afraid of breaking trim etc and tried Halfords twice to price kits to no joy and don't want to end up with some cheap plastic crap online

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I have that Pioneer head unit. I know it's out of stock on the Halfords site, and is currently priced at 300 quid, but it was about 200 quid for most of last year and was on sale for a couple of months at 160. I reckon Halfords no longer stock it but just haven't removed it from their website

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

I have that Pioneer head unit. I know it's out of stock on the Halfords site, and is currently priced at 300 quid, but it was about 200 quid for most of last year and was on sale for a couple of months at 160. I reckon Halfords no longer stock it but just haven't removed it from their website

Is it any good?

Was in liffey valley halfords and a few radios had no spec cards/prices on them, whole section was being changed and some items going to clearance according to a staff member, but the installer wasnt in till Thursday (this was Monday)

Might try Blanch tomorrow, asked two halfords so far and cant tell me how much a wiring facia etc kit is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭corks finest

jeffk wrote: »

Is it any good?

Was in liffey valley halfords and a few radios had no spec cards/prices on them, whole section was being changed and some items going to clearance according to a staff member, but the installer wasnt in till Thursday (this was Monday)

Might try Blanch tomorrow, asked two halfords so far and cant tell me how much a wiring facia etc kit is
    Any joy?

Got a 2010 ford focus and been looking at radios from installers in Dublin and got suggestion of a Pioneer MVH-A200VBT by two installers

Went on Amazon and seen it for about E150 and most places are selling it for E280 and then E140 or so install, so if i go online id get it installed for “free”

Looking for USB at the front if possible as i don't like the idea of the back of the unit and running a cable somewhere, then bluetooth for calls etc, DAB is pointless as there is a handful of stations here

Do i go with that radio or could someone suggest another one? Dare i install myself?

Afraid of breaking trim etc and tried Halfords twice to price kits to no joy and don't want to end up with some cheap plastic crap online

Thanks
    Halfords do a decent Sony for around the 130/60 mark plus install fee,good bluetooth and usb at front

Any joy?

Gave up on halfords, between staff not having a clue and the shelfs as good as empty

Had an installer that was going to use, before started taking the piss, best one was he wanted diesel money to come down to Dublin an poor me with traffic a tolls, but then ok to come to western airport to mess around in planes (added me on facebook for some reason)

I WAS getting a radio on Amazon (worked out so much cheaper it covered install wiring etc) and getting a radio installed by place in Dublin (once brand name), but then just haven't bothered

Using a bluetooth FM receiver when on my own on long spins and thankfully some dance music pirates have popped up on FM

• Advertisement

Any joy?

Gave up on halfords, between staff not having a clue and the shelfs as good as empty

Had an installer that was going to use, before started taking the piss, best one was he wanted diesel money to come down to Dublin an poor me with traffic a tolls, but then ok to come to western airport to mess around in planes (added me on facebook for some reason)

I WAS getting a radio on Amazon (worked out so much cheaper it covered install wiring etc) and getting a radio installed by place in Dublin (once brand name), but then just haven't bothered

Using a bluetooth FM receiver when on my own on long spins and thankfully some dance music pirates have popped up on FM
    As long as you're happy+ some balls on the op ref diesel money etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They are very easy to install. Would you consider self installing ?

As long as you're happy+ some balls on the op ref diesel money etc

Well content, this messing put you off

I know, from dundalk and said I'd be Navan with herself, oh no sure I'm in Dublin all the time, makes no difference to me

Two weeks later poor me needs diesel, tolls, then driving and traffic

Up went price by E30

ted1 wrote: »
    They are very easy to install. Would you consider self installing ?

Yes and no

Yes install with right parts kit etc as have looked and seems plug and play at times

No to soldering wires etc and then popping the surround off built in radio

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Yes and no

Yes install with right parts kit etc as have looked and seems plug and play at times

What sort of car is it? You can just get a plug and plug radio loom so no soldering. The surround will probably only be clipped in or a couple of screws, should be easy to remove

• Advertisement

Yes and no

No soldering. looms are pretty standard and there are converters for different ones

Surrounds are also easy to click off. Just look up YouTube videos.

What type of car have you ?

2010 ford focus

The surround pops off, some way your hands, some say like plastic ice scraper thing's

2010 ford focus

The surround pops off, some way your hands, some say like plastic ice scraper thing's

https://youtu.be/S-tf1VFxCvk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Many years ago i wanted a good sound system and going around everywhere looking for quality and not found anything.My mate suggested zenec an unknown name to me but he said it would knock the socks off pioneer and the cabling in halfords was too light for what i needed.Another place i knew of years ago.

https://www.icesystems.ie/en/
    http://www.safesounds.ie/about.htm

Most places cannot survive like back in the 70s when the rage was upgrades for better sound and new cars having limited upgrade.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Many years ago i wanted a good sound system and going around everywhere looking for quality and not found anything.My mate suggested zenec an unknown name to me but he said it would knock the socks off pioneer and the cabling in halfords was too light for what i needed.Another place i knew of years ago.

https://www.icesystems.ie/en/
    http://www.safesounds.ie/about.htm

Most places cannot survive like back in the 70s when the rage was upgrades for better sound and new cars having limited upgrade.
    As I do I subscribe to ( Honda insight) whatever car make you own,join the forum loads of free advice

I would love to find someone to install a good radio that's good because it's good not because there is a name on it, that's what all the ones i asked wanted, Kenwood I think
    • ICE was helpful but said the usual come over and see, I didn't fancy traveling over from Blanch to be told to come back in a week or so when parts in, hate driving in town
    • Safesounds i got the usual generic answer of from with the i dont really want your business attitude, i asked them before about remote central locking and was silly money

You'd think that wouldn't you, went to a place ready to pay out, two lads drinking tea no one else there, can you do me a deal if I get it now, ah no cheapest we can do etc etc

Go online and find the radio from amazon so much cheaper it would mean the install was free, goes to show the markup on radio before parts and labour profit

The general attitude I got was one of a bad attitude,
    One of them posts here as the shining light or radio installers who can do no wrong and was one of the worse because I didn't jump to take whatever overpriced radio he was pushing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Seriously, call into one of them, it’s worth the effort.
    At this stage they’re two grumpy old men who are probably tired of fielding 20 phonecalls a day about radio wiring harnesses & 12v lighter sockets, they’re much better in person face-to-face.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Seriously, call into one of them, it’s worth the effort.
    At this stage they’re two grumpy old men who are probably tired of fielding 20 phonecalls a day about radio wiring harnesses & 12v lighter sockets, they’re much better in person face-to-face.

ICE was lovely

If I was going with installer would be with a radio I get, not giving them double the price of the same radio on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would advise plenty of research on the models your thinking of buying so as not buying a chinese short lived unit.

greasepalm wrote: »
    I would advise plenty of research on the models your thinking of buying so as not buying a chinese short lived unit.

More than likely ill go with a named brand, especially with popping trim etc off, if was one with keys or that you could take bit more of a chance on brand etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

I want to have steering wheel remote function with this unit. Any way apart from the €40 from pioneer, seem's a lot to me. I see on e-bay ones around €4 , they class as universal, would they work on my unit. Thank's for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

What car?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Range Rover Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Can't find any. Ask lads at autoleads.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Usually, for the latest radios, it has become easy to install and yes, it can do it yourself if you have some knowledge. Otherwise, you can get some assistance. I would recommend you to go with double din head units due to their variety of features. JVC KW-R930BTS could be a good option if you want to go with under €90 quote. From here https://99carstereo.com/best-double-din-head-units-radio/ you can choose a suitable option according to your choice.

I also like Pioneer AVH-210EX if you like the car stereos of Pioneer. Though its price is a little high but you would love its features like Bluetooth connectivity, CD, DVD access and 2 Din. Hopefully, you would go with a wise option. Similarly, Pioneer AVH-2300NEX could also be a good option because works with both Android Auto & CarPlay.

Advertisement