Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed...

• 24-06-2019 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to car knowledge so could do with some guidance!

My budget is about €15k and i had initially been looking at a 2016 Auris hybrid as trying to be more environmentally conscious. However the rumors of govt plans have put me off as I may get a grant on a new hybrid/electric in 2 years time.

So now I’m thinking of going for an i20 and using their scrappage deal - I’ve a 2006 punto which has no resale value so €2.5k seems like a no-brainer to get some value out of it. I’d then have a new car which may hold some value for when I want to switch to hybrid/electric in a few years.

I don’t do much driving really as I’m living in the city so it’s mainly for weekend driving - visit relatives or occasional trips away. It’s only myself and my gf so happy with a relatively small car.

Is there anything I’m not thinking of or is the above a decent plan?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to car knowledge so could do with some guidance!

My budget is about €15k and i had initially been looking at a 2016 Auris hybrid as trying to be more environmentally conscious. However the rumors of govt plans have put me off as I may get a grant on a new hybrid/electric in 2 years time.

So now I’m thinking of going for an i20 and using their scrappage deal - I’ve a 2006 punto which has no resale value so €2.5k seems like a no-brainer to get some value out of it. I’d then have a new car which may hold some value for when I want to switch to hybrid/electric in a few years.

I don’t do much driving really as I’m living in the city so it’s mainly for weekend driving - visit relatives or occasional trips away. It’s only myself and my gf so happy with a relatively small car.

Is there anything I’m not thinking of or is the above a decent plan?

If being eco conscious is on your mind, why not try Go Car, the pay as you go car company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

15k is a sizeable amount of money to be spending on a car that doesn't get used all that much. It's just depreciating away on your driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If city based and not used15k will get you a lot of time with gocar or one of the other rental starting up, the one with Tesla as option would be a nice rental one weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Thanks for your responses. To be honest I like the convenience of having the car outside my door so not sure the Go Car would be an option and are you not racking up serious fees if you take it away for a full weekend?

Although I agree I should probably look at cutting the budget, it probably doesn’t make much sense to spend that much on something I’m not driving often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses. To be honest I like the convenience of having the car outside my door so not sure the Go Car would be an option and are you not racking up serious fees if you take it away for a full weekend?

Although I agree I should probably look at cutting the budget, it probably doesn’t make much sense to spend that much on something I’m not driving often.

You can always rent something if needs be. If it was me and I wanted the security of a car available at all times I would buy an auris hybrid like one of these. Once maintained you will easily get 5 year plus out of it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2012-toyota-auris-hybrid-1-8-t4-auto-cvt/22150993

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-auris-hybrid-auto-long-nct-1-owner/21272862

• Advertisement
Advertisement