Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bmw e92

• 23-06-2019 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

I’m looking at a 2009 e92 and saw one with full service history, 2 owners, looked and ran well and really impressed

However, everyone i know is telling me to steer clear of the 2.0i petrol and the car in general

Overhearing, oil etc

Are they really that bad ?

The prices vary considerably in the ads, I feel the one I viewed whilst upper end for price seemed to me fine

Anyone have any thoughts, experience?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

After 2008, the 2.0 petrols would have a bad reputation for injectors and coil packs but I've no direct experience of them myself. I don't know if they ever solved the problem to be honest.

The 2.0 diesels on the other hand have a reputation for timing chain problems.

I would only buy a six cylinder engine model, although even some of those can be iffy for reliability.

To be honest I prefer the E46, build quality is far better (sit in one and you'll see, yes it's more dated but the materials are better and the leather in particular is of a higher quality), it's far simpler mechanically so is far cheaper to fix if something goes wrong and all the engines are bulletproof so long as you avoid the 318Ci. The biggest weakness of the E46 is the suspension, which has all the durability of papier-mâché, at this stage many bits will be worn and need replacing, some parts can be expensive (like the front wishbones). You can't buy cheap parts because they won't last, either. The cooling system can give issues but nothing preventative maintenance can't sort. They often rust around the arches, but it's not a big deal to sort out if you catch them in time. But a good one is so enjoyable and smooth to drive.

If you want to know more about the E46, feel free to ask me;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Seen a nice bmw 3 series petrol 2007, but after reading this I’m concerned about the engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

After 2008, the 2.0 petrols would have a bad reputation for injectors and coil packs but I've no direct experience of them myself. I don't know if they ever solved the problem to be honest.

The 2.0 diesels on the other hand have a reputation for timing chain problems.

I would only buy a six cylinder engine model, although even some of those can be iffy for reliability.

To be honest I prefer the E46, build quality is far better (sit in one and you'll see, yes it's more dated but the materials are better and the leather in particular is of a higher quality), it's far simpler mechanically so is far cheaper to fix if something goes wrong and all the engines are bulletproof so long as you avoid the 318Ci. The biggest weakness of the E46 is the suspension, which has all the durability of papier-mâché, at this stage many bits will be worn and need replacing, some parts can be expensive (like the front wishbones). You can't buy cheap parts because they won't last, either. The cooling system can give issues but nothing preventative maintenance can't sort. They often rust around the arches, but it's not a big deal to sort out if you catch them in time. But a good one is so enjoyable and smooth to drive.

If you want to know more about the E46, feel free to ask me;).

Thanks but I’ve no interest in the e46

Actually whilst true, I’ve always loved the e46 and went close several times to buying an 06 year around 7 years ago

Hard to find a clean , oil free leaking one then so in 2019 it will be even rarer and now just too old for insurance etc

Hence the look at the e92

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Honestly, avoid those car's. I've an E90 since last year & without doubt the worst car I've had by some distance. As the other poster said coils, they can be done easily & got cheaply. It's when you get to injectors & the like the real problems start. 4 injectors will cost about €1300 & they are notorious for going around the hundred thousand mark.

A lot of them have problems with the catalytic converter around the same time too. The timing chain is also notorious for giving up unexpectedly too. Numerous other known problems with them. I've spent roughly €2000 since last year on repairs, €900 alone in the past month for two injectors & a high pressure fuel pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Can confirm - in 18 months I've had to replace the rear shocks/various parts (fair enough, this is wear), HPFP, NOX sensor, and rocker cover for CCV failure on a 325i. And the thing is still broken.

Great fun though, don't entirely regret it yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Can confirm - in 18 months I've had to replace the rear shocks/various parts (fair enough, this is wear), HPFP, NOX sensor, and rocker cover for CCV failure on a 325i. And the thing is still broken.

Great fun though, don't entirely regret it yet!

I have highlighted reason why you had them failures. If you go for 3 litre petrol or diesel you'll be fine.

Carpentry wrote: »
    I have highlighted reason why you had them failures. If you go for 3 litre petrol or diesel you'll be fine.

Ah but it is a 3 litre....09 N53, not the <07 N52 2.5

Oil leaking through the rocker cover gasket is a very common problem on many BMW petrol engines, going all the way back to the M52 and possibly even earlier than that. It's annoying but it's a cheap and easy thing to fix. It's nothing to do with the engine size that's for sure. They often leak through the oil filter housing gasket, too.

Are all diesels in the 3 series 2007-2008 ok then engine wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

bri007 wrote: »
    Are all diesels in the 3 series 2007-2008 ok then engine wise?

only the 3 litre once

• Advertisement

Ah ok, thanks.

I was looking at 2.0 diesels but I’ll give it a miss now
    only the 3 litre once

only the 3 litre once

In theory the 330ds after 2009 can suffer as they switched to the N57 engine, in practice it seems to be a much rarer occurrence than with the N47. I wouldn't let it put me off buying one, because it's a straight six, it's much smoother so there's far less vibrations from the engine than the 2.0 litre four cylinder most people go for. 325ds are OK until mid-2010, while the 335d kept the M57 until the car was replaced by the 4 series in 2013.

Oil leaking through the rocker cover gasket is a very common problem on many BMW petrol engines, going all the way back to the M52 and possibly even earlier than that. It's annoying but it's a cheap and easy thing to fix. It's nothing to do with the engine size that's for sure. They often leak through the oil filter housing gasket, too.

Fix it yourself job? Because it cost me 700 quid...saying that, CCV was gone so maybe the whole thing needed replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Wouldn't these be mechanically similar to the 5 series e60? I had 2 of them in 6 cylinder petrol and found them both great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just put your cash on the ground and burn it much less pain in the long term

Fix it yourself job? Because it cost me 700 quid...saying that, CCV was gone so maybe the whole thing needed replacing.

CCV can be expensive enough and it requires genuine BMW parts (otherwise it will fail again). Rocker cover gasket shouldn't be any more than 60-90 minutes labour at a garage. If it was the rocker cover itself then for sure that would be more expensive.

CCV can be expensive enough and it requires genuine BMW parts (otherwise it will fail again). Rocker cover gasket shouldn't be any more than 60-90 minutes labour at a garage. If it was the rocker cover itself then for sure that would be more expensive.

It was the CCV, and apparently requires the entire rocker cover replaced to get at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Sorry for barging in, but just curious - are the E92 M3's of the same quality / issues?

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Sorry for barging in, but just curious - are the E92 M3's of the same quality / issues?

I think throttle actuators are the big weak point, along with the usual M car expensive stuff. Rod end bearings maybe, but not as weak as the E60 M5 for those.

Typically don't expect an M car to be reliable in any way shape or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Actuators and abs pump the only issues I've had with mine so far

• Advertisement
Advertisement