Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear of practice

• 16-06-2019 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I’ve done a few lessons and they’ve gone well so far but obviously I need to get practicing to get test ready.

I’m lucky in that my OH has a full license and we own a car together and I’ve friends and family who are willing to help me out also.

But I’ve a terrible fear of going out on the roads in a regular car without the dual controls of the instructors car. I’m confident enough in deserted car parks etc but public roads without dual controls just stir up a lot of anxiety in me.

Does anyone have any tips other than “get over it”?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If your instructor feels you are ready to practice without the dual control back up you could maybe take a couple of lessons with him/her where they keep away from their controls. You can prove to yourself you can do it. Then with your OH, start in car parks, then maybe a short slow trip through a quiet housing estate, building up to short trips on 'main' roads, then involving junctions.

On the one hand, it is good that you do not think you are Ayrton Senna ready to take on all comers, but at the same time, you need to get out there and to a certain extent 'get over it'. It really won't be as bad as you fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

spurious wrote: »
    If your instructor feels you are ready to practice without the dual control back up you could maybe take a couple of lessons with him/her where they keep away from their controls. You can prove to yourself you can do it. Then with your OH, start in car parks, then maybe a short slow trip through a quiet housing estate, building up to short trips on 'main' roads, then involving junctions.

On the one hand, it is good that you do not think you are Ayrton Senna ready to take on all comers, but at the same time, you need to get out there and to a certain extent 'get over it'. It really won't be as bad as you fear.

I wouldn't be letting someone not confident drive around a housing estate, too many things to be looking out for. An industrial estate after 6pm will usually be deserted and usually have big roads for HGVs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Presuming the instructor has said they are safe to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

So I had completed the EDT, taken some additional lessons, and had sat (and failed) the driving test once - all more than five years ago. I was far from being able to drive, had no confidence, and had given up on the idea that I would ever be able to drive.

Earlier this year, I started taking lessons again (just had to learn how to drive!). After the first couple of lessons, I bought a car. When I told my instructor about this during my third lesson, he said that we should start using my car from the next lesson onwards, so that I could get used to the car.

The fact that he suggested it himself indicated that he was certain that he wouldn't need the dual controls. This made me confident in my ability to drive, even though I needed loads of practice. Before this, I used to wonder how much of my driving was actually me vs the instructor jumping in to assist using the dual controls.

So, definitely speak with your instructor about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Thank you everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I had a huge fear of practice. I would be shaking in the car with a sponsor and gave up many times.
    I then got my instructor to take me out in my husbands car instead of his. I got on much better than I thought which really helped my confidence. My nerves aren't as bad now when I'm out with sponsors

Advertisement