Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPC case studies (bus)

• 01-06-2018 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi I am booked for next tuesday to do the case studies for a Bus CPC.

I have the RSA book but it just includes the case studies and no sample questions or answers.

Has anyone got a list of possible questions and answers?

Tagged:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tutoranne

GUYS does anybody have any sample questions & answers for the 6 CPC case studies for bus?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

There are no Questions and answers available that I can find for the Case studies.

But from doing the case studies on both C + D I can say they are handy enough.

The case studies are available for you to read on the theory test book and cd but they give it to you in the test anyway

when doing the theory test you read the case study and then attempt the questions

while attempting the questions you can flick back and forth from the actual case study itself so you can go back and confirm you answer as such

• Registered Users Posts: 1 adrianooo

dolongit wrote: »
    Hi I am booked for next tuesday to do the case studies for a Bus CPC.

I have the RSA book but it just includes the case studies and no sample questions or answers.

Has anyone got a list of possible questions and answers?

hi dolongit!
    what you doing on the examn for CPC BUS ?
    you find the questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Walek

There is a lot over internet about CPC case studies for truck, but for bus is different story. So I decided to put what I found myself related to them in one place. There will be mishmash here and there but at least someone looking for information will know something. Its all that other users remembered out of exams so some information may not be correct - though anybody is welcome to add questions if he wish to and answers are always welcome.

Scenario 1: John

What is the first thing the Garda asks to see when they stop you ?
    What should John have done when he saw the blue flashing light ( proceed with caution & do as directed by garda ) ?
    What is the wheelchair docking area called ?
    When coming down hill, Johns driving would have ( saved fuel ) ?
    What else could he have done ( lower gear ) ?
    What else should John have done to secure the wheelchair ?

1. How did John know that the passenger from yesterday may of had a disability? (She gave too much money and never waited for her change)
    2. Who did the police call to inspect the vehicle? (vehicle inspector)
    3. What did the policeman say was wrong with john’s wheels?( Front tyre was defective)
    4. What was the speed limit that john should have met on the road?(100km-dual carriageway)
    5. What should john have done when he saw that children were waiting at the next stop?(checked the priority seating area was clear for them.
    6. Besides the safe loading of the passenger in the wheelchair, what else should john have done?(take care of his own manual safety)
    7. What else could John have done to secure the wheelchair?( secured in the wheelchair docking area)
    8. What is the wheelchair area of the bus called?(docking area)
    9. How full was the bus when approaching the supermarket?(3/4 capacity)
    10. When John moved off he changed gears fastly, what impact would this have??(possible answers – save fuel, go with momentum, use more power)
    11. Why were the passangers thrown around?(he turned the bend too quickly)
    12. If someone is sitting in the priority area that isn’t of priority, what should the driver do?(ask them to move)

What clue did John get that the passenger might be hard of hearing? (Ans: She overpaid a lot and didn't wait for change.)
    What type of bus was John driving that made it easier for the elderly or young children to get on? Ans: Kneeling
    What features made it easier for disabled or young families boarding? (Ans: ramps and priority seating)
    What should John have done when passengers were standing in the docking area? Choices included: a. let the person in the wheelchair ask them to move b. the wheelchair user will manage even if they stay there c. ask them to move to their seats d. refuse to drive. (I went for C. anyway.)
    What is the name of the area where wheelchair users can stay on bus? (Ans: Docking area) Other options were holding area, landing area etc.
    Whose fault was it that the passengers were thrown about their seats? (Ans: John (the driver's) fault)

Should the driver have lowered the kneel facility first or the ramp ?
    When pulling off from the supermarket, should the driver accelerate more to pull away and then less power to keep vehicle moving ?
    Who did the garda call to inspect the vehicle ?
    What should the driver have done to assist the wheelchair person ? (consider manual safety/ allow person to get on independently/ ……………..)
    What type of special facilities did bus have ? (Wheelchair access & priority seating)
    What should driver do if someone is in wheelchair place on the bus ? (Ask people to move)

Scenario 2: Alan

Why was driver annoyed cyclist was in contra-flow lane ? (not allowed in lane)
    What should driver anticipate cyclist will do ? (go straight ahead)
    Where should driver have steered bus to after blowout ? (left shoulder)
    What mistake did driver make after stopping bus ? (waving at traffic to stop)

Scenario 3: Michael

The garda told Michael ( one of his front tyres was faulty )
    Who is the governing body for International transport ?
    What does the swept area of the bus refer to ?

How many extra tonnes did driver calculate for 30 passengers ? (2/4/6/8)
    What mistake did driver make about the ABS light ? (ignored it)
    What should driver have told children to do ? (sit down & put seatbelts on)
    After the detour by gardai what could the driver have done ? (pulled in and checked map)
    What safety equipment did the driver not have on the bus ?
    How many fire extinguishers, minimum, should bus have ?

1. The governing body – (think its EU)
    2. What should you do with insurance when travelling internationally?
    3. What should he have done when rerouted by police?
    4. What should he have told children to do?(sit down with seat belts)
    5. Under EU regulations, if the bus has seat belts what should driver do?
    6. Where can the driver get info about the unladen weight of vehicle?
    7. Why is there a gross vehicle weight restriction on roads etc
    8. Why do you only use fog light in foggy conditions?
    9. Having too many passengers is called – overloading

Scenario 4: Sean

Nothing

Scenario 5: Ciara

(1) what else should ciara do to help a wheelchair person? store their luggage in a safe and secure compartment.

(2) what could ciara do to pervent the student making a fool of himself? lock and secure the luggage compartment,

(3) what could ciara have done during her comfort break? A throughly check of the bus seats and secure the luggage compartment.

(4) how could ciara have pervented the extra passenger boarding the bus? by making everyone display their bus ticket, or id on entry.

(5) what was wrong with ciara unloading the luggage? she could have injured herself from the luggage, thus preventing her from continuing the journey.

(6) was the passengers right to complain about the falling luggage? yes they were,

(7) why did ciara reduce her speed? she was travelling to fast, in the speed limit area,

(8) what direction was the passengers throwing at the sharp corner? A/B/C/D, answer C

(9) what direction was the luggage throwing at the sharp corner? same as above c

(10) what impairment does the person have in the picture showing kerb and cane? visual

(11) what was the bus equipped with? hydraulic system which allowed the step level to be raised and lowered.

(12) what did ciara assum about the visual impaired person, she assumed her destination was the same as usual,

(13) what should ciara have done with the unattended luggage bag from the earlier week? follow proper procedure.

(14) what was the speed limit of ciaras bus on the motorway?

Scenario 6: Ashling

This shows you different diagrams, first of the bus and the different dimensions. The four other show you the effect of braking, acceleration and cornering on passengers.

Ashley knew the right fire ext. was essential because the wrong one would (spread the fire)
    Did Ashley do right in her evacuation of the bus & why ?
    Where should the luggage have been stored ?
    What should be Ashley's main concern ( passenger comfort & safety ) ?
    While approaching the arch bridge, what dimensions should have concerned her ?
    Did Ashley take the right action with the fire ?
    What caused the tyre fire ?
    Which pic shows the results of harsh braking ( 1,2,3,4 ) ?
    Which pic shows the results of harsh cornering ( 1,2,3,4 ) ?
    What forces are involved with harsh cornering ( centrifugal ) ?

1. Where should luggage have been stored?
    2. Using the correct fire extinguisher does what--- prevent spreading of fire
    3. What should ashling have done before taking the extinguisher – (turn off mains????)
    4. What exit should they have used??( safest, nearest exit?
    5. What cause the fire on the back wheel of ashlings vehicle?/(cornering, braking etc)))
    6. What force is acting when ashling has trouble braking?/( gravity/centrifugal, centripetal)
    7. Ashlings misuse of the brakes causes??/(brake wear)
    8. When approaching an arch bridge what vehicle dimensions should be taken into consideration?
    9. It shows you diagrams asking- ashlings acceleration has what affect of passangers-
    10. Ashlings misuse of the brakes has what affect?
    11. What should ashlings main concern be(safety and comfort of passangers)
    12. When turning right ashling should tke care of what??(swept area)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BadSanta

Thanks Walek I'm booked for the last week on this month, is this is a big step.

Keep posting guys..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Walek

Bad Santa how was the test, did you remember anything you can add up to the scenarios?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Trebor_1982

Hi there only Pass my cpc bus study yesterday
    Question was easy enough
    Will give you the question for case study nr 4
    Scenario 4
    Did Sean use correct light for the foggy condition
    What Sean forgot to check in morning check up
    Did Sean have a right to ask man with cane to move from designated area
    Who should secure wheelchair passenger
    Where Sean should leave angry passanger
    What's impact may standing passanger to Sean bus
    What is not every morning check out
    What impact have on standing passanger in upper deck drive through bend

I am wondering did anybody remember question for cpc practical test bus what I can be asked also what need to show
    Sorry for gramar 🖖

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Youcef

Hi every one does anybody have any sample questions & answers for the 6 CPC case studies for bus? I really appreciate that if any one help this my second time thanks .

Youcef wrote: »
    Hi every one does anybody have any sample questions & answers for the 6 CPC case studies for bus? I really appreciate that if any one help this my second time thanks .
    Hi the question are very similar like in the previous posts I put also the scenario 4 because that was no questions there and I have them
    All the best with your test
    I have my practical 11.06

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Not from here

Hi everyone. Got my CPC bus case study test on 30.5.
    Tnx to all of you for every additional help.
    I will try to remember as much as I can and write it here all of the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kilohotel

Hi everyone. Got my CPC bus case study test on 30.5.
    Tnx to all of you for every additional help.
    I will try to remember as much as I can and write it here all of the questions.

Same as myself! Tomorrow 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Not from here

Passed. 40/45. Questions were quite easy.
    Got 1,4 and 6 story and basically, what I manage to remember, everything what it's posted before (from Walek and Trebor) was in my exam.
    It is important to read slow and think about every question. 40 minutes per story is reasonably enough, even for somebody like me who is not Irish and english is not my native language.
    Only one question that I can remember know that was the hardest for me, was from
    Ashling story (6).

When she was turning right in the street, what was NOT impact to the front and rear overhang?
    Possible answers: hitting pedestrians, ground clearance, passing motorcycle and bus weight.
    Don't have an idea what is correct answer.

Anyways, best of the luck to all of you in the future. A final note from me: From 1st of June they will be updating some new stuff so you will probably need to buy fresh new cd for learning. It is even possible that they will add some new stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 spud 82

would any one have up dated questions and answers for the cpc case studies bus

Hi Folks
    Only Past my practical CPC test on Couch.Easy enough
    Unfortunately have to do driving again haha I am 1st in the history fail on observation when reversing
    Will text few question from exam:
    Driver CPC Questions + Answers Section 1

ABILITY TO ENSURE PASSENGER COMFORT AND SAFETY

Q1: What effect on your vehicle would an adverse camber to the left on the road have?

A1: Risk of hitting objects such as:

1) Trees,
    2) Signs,
    3) Buildings,
    4) Other vehicles,
    5) Poles on left,

Q2: If you were at or approaching a junction and you intend to turn left, what precautions would you take to avoid dangers to others?

A2: ​1) Watch for cyclists and motorcyclists close to the kerb in front of you,
    2) Watch for cyclists and motorcyclists coming up on your left,
    3) Avoid overtaking a cyclist as you approach a junction if you intend to turn left,
    4) Allow extra space to cyclists particularly on a wet or windy day,
    5) Be aware of amount of space needed and the way of the vehicle overhang,

Q3: In normal driving it is necessary on occasions to take additional road space (due to size), please give examples of manoeuvres where a driver needs to be aware of danger?

A3:​1) Turning left,
    ​2) Turning right,
    ​3) At roundabouts,
    ​4) Entering or exiting premises,
    ​5) Overtaking,
    ​6) Parking,

Q4: What are the key factors that would ensure smooth braking?

A4:​1) Braking should be controlled (not sudden or severe),
    2) Braking should be done in good time (scanning ahead continuously in order to allow you to stop safely within the distance that you can see to be clear),
    3) Breaking should only be done when travelling in a straight line where possible,
    4) Avoid braking while turning, unless at low speeds,

Q5: Please explain how you would deal with rear vehicle overhang?

A5:​1) Assess the distance between front and rear axle of the vehicle,
    2) Assess the width of the vehicle,
    3) Assess the height of the vehicle ground clearance,
    4) Assess the height of the kerb,
    5) Be careful to ensure there is adequate clearance to the right when turning left,
    6) Be careful to ensure there is adequate clearance to the left when turning right,

Q6: How would you deal with a bus lane?

A6:​1) Look for bus lane signage (times of operation etc.),
    2) Use mirrors, signal and manoeuvre (MSMPSL) to enter and exit bus lane,
    3) 3) Scan ahead for junctions and end of Bus Lane (broken down vehicles)
    4) Watch out for pedestrians crossing,
    5) Watch out for obstructions on bus lane (broken down vehicles),
    6) Give way to other vehicles when exiting Bus Lanes,
    7) Be aware that cyclists, taxis and emergency vehicles are allowed to use with flow bus lanes,
    8) In contra flow bus lane, watch out for traffic coming towards you,

Q7: Please give examples of activities that should be avoided while driving in the interest of safety?

A7: ​1) Should not use phone while driving,
    ​2) Should not use personal entertainment equipment through earphones,
    3) Should not use internal communication equipment while driving if not handsfree,
    ​4) Should not be distracted by TV/Video while driving,
    ​5) Should not attempt to look at a map or read directions while driving,

Q8: What are the key elements of good interaction between a driver and passengers?

A8:​1) Treat passengers in a courteous manner,
    ​2) Look directly at passenger when you speak,
    ​3) Provide assistance with luggage,
    ​4) Allow passengers to enter and exit safely from vehicle,
    ​5) Assist old or infirm passengers on and off the vehicle.

Section 1 (Continued)

Q9: Please explain how you would deal with a passenger with obvious physical disability?

A9:​1) Provide assistance if required, (stow away wheelchair securely if required),
    ​2) Allow extra time for passenger to be seated,
    ​3) Move off smoothly,
    ​4) Avoid fast concerning,
    ​5) Allow extra time for passenger to exit the vehicle and offer assistance if `​needed,
    6) Make sure you know how to use any passengers lifts, ramps and securing devices,
    ​7) Other.

Section 2

ABILITY TO LOAD THE VEHICLE WITH DUE REGARD FOR SAFETY RULES AND PROPER VEHICLE USE

Q1: What is the most likely outcome where sharp breaking is done?

A1: ​1) Passengers thrown forward,
    ​2) Undue stress on vehicle components,
    ​3) Risk of skid,
    ​4) Risk of loss of traction,
    ​5) Risk of vehicle overturning,
    ​6) Other.

Q2: Explain to me how you would use the gearbox ratios according to the vehicle load and the type of road?

A2:​1) Assess the speed and select appropriate gear,
    ​2) Assess the load and select appropriate gear,
    ​3) Assess the road level, uphill or downhill and select appropriate gear,
    4) Assess how the engine is responding to load and select the appropriate gear to avoid labouring or over-revving,
    ​5) Other.

Section 2 (Continued)

ABILITY TO LOAD THE VEHICLE WITH DUE REGARD FOR SAFETY RULES AND PROPER VEHICLE USE

Q3: Please show me where you would find the plate that indicates the Gross Vehicle Weight and please identify from this plate the Gross Vehicle Weight of this vehicle?

YOU MUST “SHOW” THE EXAMINER THE VEHICLE PLATE AS ASKED & THEN EXPLAIN THE GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT AS SHOWN

Q4: What safeguards would you take to prevent your vehicle from being overload?

A4:​1) Know the weight of your vehicle (GVW)
    2) Purpose of your trip,
    3) Give weight limit to each passenger,
    4) Check luggage weights yourself,
    5) Distribute load evenly,

Q5: What are the likely consequences of overloading your vehicle?

A5:​1) Less stable,
    2) Difficult to steer,
    3) Longer to stop,
    4) Strain on tyres,
    5) Insurance implications,
    6) Damage to bridges and roads,
    7) Increases fuel consumption,
    8) Unfair to other operators,

Q6: What would adversely affect the centre of gravity of your vehicle?

A6:​1) Violent steering
    ​2) Harsh acceleration,
    ​3) Sudden braking
    ​4) Braking hard while concerning,
    ​5) Wind forces,
    ​6) Other.

Section 3

ABILITY TO PREVENT CRIMINALITY AND TRAFFICKING IN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS

Q1: What are the most common forms of criminal damage suffered by bus and coach operators?

A1:​1) Slashed seats
    ​2) Graffiti​
    ​3) Missile throwing,
    ​4) Broken windows,

Q2: If travelling back across a boarder show me what measures/checks would you undertake to prevent struggling of goods & people?

A2:​1) Check overhead luggage compartments,
    ​2) Check under seats before boarding commences,
    ​3) Open and check the main luggage compartments,
    ​4) Open the bonnet and inspect the engine compartment,
    5) Open and check all EXTERNAL compartments, lock if possible
    6) Inspect the spare wheel compartment,
    7) Count the number of ACTUAL passengers on board,
    8) Check the ACTUAL passengers tickets,

Q3: What steps would you follow in order to ensure your vehicle is secure and safe while parked?

A3:​1) Secure parking place,
    ​2) Entry doors all locked,
    ​3) Set anti-theft device,
    4) Do not allow passengers to leave personal belongings on display or unattended,
    ​5) Lock luggage compartment,
    ​6) Do not allow passengers to board while driver is absent,
    ​7) Other.

Q4: With a view to prevent criminality and trafficking of illegal immigrants what areas of the vehicle would you check before starting your journey?

A4:​1) External compartments,
    ​2) Internal compartments,
    ​3) On board toilet,
    ​4) Seating area,
    ​5) Passenger luggage,

Q5: What are the penalties under the Illegal Immigrants (Trafficking) Act 2000 that may be imposed on a person who knowingly facilitates the entry into the state of an illegal immigrant?

A5:​1) Fine,
    ​2) Imprisonment (12 months),
    ​3) Fine and imprisonment for 10 years,
    ​4) Other.

Section 4

ABILITY TO PREVENT PHYSICAL RISK

Q1: Please demonstrate to me what measures/adjustments you would make before starting a journey in order to ensure your own comfort safety and efficiency while driving?

A1:​1) Correct seat adjustment and correct head restraint adjustment if fitted,
    ​2) Correct mirror adjustment,
    ​3) Correct adjustment of all controls,
    ​4) Steering wheel adjustment,

Q2: Please explain to me what movements, postures or activities that could result in a risk of injury to you?

A2:​1) Unnecessary presence in workshop,
    2) Lifting heavy suitcases,
    3) Lack of personal protective equipment when handling maintenance materials,
    4) Lack of knowledge while operating chair lifts or kneeling mechanisms,
    5) Lack of knowledge in the event of emergencies or breakdowns,
    6) Know the risk of working under a raised cowl,

Q3: Please demonstrate the on0going measures you would take to avoid the possibility of tiredness while driving?

A3
    1) Open window slightly for fresh air,
    2) Keep driver area at a temperature that is not too warm (heater controls)
    3) Avoid heavy meals,
    4) Regular breaks,

Good luck folks I am already reapply for test

Hi Folks
    Only Past my practical CPC test on Couch.Easy enough
    Unfortunately have to do driving again haha I am 1st in the history fail on observation when reversing
    Will text few question from exam:
    Driver CPC Questions + Answers Section 1

Q1: What effect on your vehicle would an adverse camber to the left on the road have?

A1: Risk of hitting objects such as:

1) Trees,
    2) Signs,
    3) Buildings,
    4) Other vehicles,
    5) Poles on left,

Q2: If you were at or approaching a junction and you intend to turn left, what precautions would you take to avoid dangers to others?

A2: ​1) Watch for cyclists and motorcyclists close to the kerb in front of you,
    2) Watch for cyclists and motorcyclists coming up on your left,
    3) Avoid overtaking a cyclist as you approach a junction if you intend to turn left,
    4) Allow extra space to cyclists particularly on a wet or windy day,
    5) Be aware of amount of space needed and the way of the vehicle overhang,

Q3: In normal driving it is necessary on occasions to take additional road space (due to size), please give examples of manoeuvres where a driver needs to be aware of danger?

A3:​1) Turning left,
    ​2) Turning right,
    ​3) At roundabouts,
    ​4) Entering or exiting premises,
    ​5) Overtaking,
    ​6) Parking,

Q4: What are the key factors that would ensure smooth braking?

A4:​1) Braking should be controlled (not sudden or severe),
    2) Braking should be done in good time (scanning ahead continuously in order to allow you to stop safely within the distance that you can see to be clear),
    3) Breaking should only be done when travelling in a straight line where possible,
    4) Avoid braking while turning, unless at low speeds,

Q5: Please explain how you would deal with rear vehicle overhang?

A5:​1) Assess the distance between front and rear axle of the vehicle,
    2) Assess the width of the vehicle,
    3) Assess the height of the vehicle ground clearance,
    4) Assess the height of the kerb,
    5) Be careful to ensure there is adequate clearance to the right when turning left,
    6) Be careful to ensure there is adequate clearance to the left when turning right,

Q6: How would you deal with a bus lane?

A6:​1) Look for bus lane signage (times of operation etc.),
    2) Use mirrors, signal and manoeuvre (MSMPSL) to enter and exit bus lane,
    3) 3) Scan ahead for junctions and end of Bus Lane (broken down vehicles)
    4) Watch out for pedestrians crossing,
    5) Watch out for obstructions on bus lane (broken down vehicles),
    6) Give way to other vehicles when exiting Bus Lanes,
    7) Be aware that cyclists, taxis and emergency vehicles are allowed to use with flow bus lanes,
    8) In contra flow bus lane, watch out for traffic coming towards you,

Q7: Please give examples of activities that should be avoided while driving in the interest of safety?

A7: ​1) Should not use phone while driving,
    ​2) Should not use personal entertainment equipment through earphones,
    3) Should not use internal communication equipment while driving if not handsfree,
    ​4) Should not be distracted by TV/Video while driving,
    ​5) Should not attempt to look at a map or read directions while driving,

Q8: What are the key elements of good interaction between a driver and passengers?

A8:​1) Treat passengers in a courteous manner,
    ​2) Look directly at passenger when you speak,
    ​3) Provide assistance with luggage,
    ​4) Allow passengers to enter and exit safely from vehicle,
    ​5) Assist old or infirm passengers on and off the vehicle.

Section 1 (Continued)

Q9: Please explain how you would deal with a passenger with obvious physical disability?

A9:​1) Provide assistance if required, (stow away wheelchair securely if required),
    ​2) Allow extra time for passenger to be seated,
    ​3) Move off smoothly,
    ​4) Avoid fast concerning,
    ​5) Allow extra time for passenger to exit the vehicle and offer assistance if `​needed,
    6) Make sure you know how to use any passengers lifts, ramps and securing devices,
    ​7) Other.

Section 2

Q1: What is the most likely outcome where sharp breaking is done?

A1: ​1) Passengers thrown forward,
    ​2) Undue stress on vehicle components,
    ​3) Risk of skid,
    ​4) Risk of loss of traction,
    ​5) Risk of vehicle overturning,
    ​6) Other.

Q2: Explain to me how you would use the gearbox ratios according to the vehicle load and the type of road?

A2:​1) Assess the speed and select appropriate gear,
    ​2) Assess the load and select appropriate gear,
    ​3) Assess the road level, uphill or downhill and select appropriate gear,
    4) Assess how the engine is responding to load and select the appropriate gear to avoid labouring or over-revving,
    ​5) Other.

Section 2 (Continued)

Q3: Please show me where you would find the plate that indicates the Gross Vehicle Weight and please identify from this plate the Gross Vehicle Weight of this vehicle?

YOU MUST “SHOW” THE EXAMINER THE VEHICLE PLATE AS ASKED & THEN EXPLAIN THE GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT AS SHOWN

Q4: What safeguards would you take to prevent your vehicle from being overload?

A4:​1) Know the weight of your vehicle (GVW)
    2) Purpose of your trip,
    3) Give weight limit to each passenger,
    4) Check luggage weights yourself,
    5) Distribute load evenly,

Q5: What are the likely consequences of overloading your vehicle?

A5:​1) Less stable,
    2) Difficult to steer,
    3) Longer to stop,
    4) Strain on tyres,
    5) Insurance implications,
    6) Damage to bridges and roads,
    7) Increases fuel consumption,
    8) Unfair to other operators,

Q6: What would adversely affect the centre of gravity of your vehicle?

A6:​1) Violent steering
    ​2) Harsh acceleration,
    ​3) Sudden braking
    ​4) Braking hard while concerning,
    ​5) Wind forces,
    ​6) Other.

Section 3

Q1: What are the most common forms of criminal damage suffered by bus and coach operators?

A1:​1) Slashed seats
    ​2) Graffiti​
    ​3) Missile throwing,
    ​4) Broken windows,

Q2: If travelling back across a boarder show me what measures/checks would you undertake to prevent struggling of goods & people?

A2:​1) Check overhead luggage compartments,
    ​2) Check under seats before boarding commences,
    ​3) Open and check the main luggage compartments,
    ​4) Open the bonnet and inspect the engine compartment,
    5) Open and check all EXTERNAL compartments, lock if possible
    6) Inspect the spare wheel compartment,
    7) Count the number of ACTUAL passengers on board,
    8) Check the ACTUAL passengers tickets,

Q3: What steps would you follow in order to ensure your vehicle is secure and safe while parked?

A3:​1) Secure parking place,
    ​2) Entry doors all locked,
    ​3) Set anti-theft device,
    4) Do not allow passengers to leave personal belongings on display or unattended,
    ​5) Lock luggage compartment,
    ​6) Do not allow passengers to board while driver is absent,
    ​7) Other.

Q4: With a view to prevent criminality and trafficking of illegal immigrants what areas of the vehicle would you check before starting your journey?

A4:​1) External compartments,
    ​2) Internal compartments,
    ​3) On board toilet,
    ​4) Seating area,
    ​5) Passenger luggage,

Q5: What are the penalties under the Illegal Immigrants (Trafficking) Act 2000 that may be imposed on a person who knowingly facilitates the entry into the state of an illegal immigrant?

A5:​1) Fine,
    ​2) Imprisonment (12 months),
    ​3) Fine and imprisonment for 10 years,
    ​4) Other.

Section 4

ABILITY TO PREVENT PHYSICAL RISK

Q1: Please demonstrate to me what measures/adjustments you would make before starting a journey in order to ensure your own comfort safety and efficiency while driving?

A1:​1) Correct seat adjustment and correct head restraint adjustment if fitted,
    ​2) Correct mirror adjustment,
    ​3) Correct adjustment of all controls,
    ​4) Steering wheel adjustment,

Q2: Please explain to me what movements, postures or activities that could result in a risk of injury to you?

A2:​1) Unnecessary presence in workshop,
    2) Lifting heavy suitcases,
    3) Lack of personal protective equipment when handling maintenance materials,
    4) Lack of knowledge while operating chair lifts or kneeling mechanisms,
    5) Lack of knowledge in the event of emergencies or breakdowns,
    6) Know the risk of working under a raised cowl,

Q3: Please demonstrate the on0going measures you would take to avoid the possibility of tiredness while driving?

A3
    1) Open window slightly for fresh air,
    2) Keep driver area at a temperature that is not too warm (heater controls)
    3) Avoid heavy meals,
    4) Regular breaks,

Good luck folks I am already reapply for test

Pass my test with great score and working now as Bus driver
    All the best for further students🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pdstck

Hi.
    Are these multiple choice question or are they written, where can you find study material for these questions, the examples in theory book just give senarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kundalino1986

Hi Bud, do you have answers on these questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KeithMacbeth182

Hi all, I wanted to write a post here about the Bus Driver CPC Case Study Theory Test to help those who have theirs upcoming. This page helped me a huge amount so I wanted to pay it forward. I had mine today and passed thankfully!

As you will know, you will have 6 Case Studies to read over and the exam will examine your knowledge on a randomly generated 3 of the 6.

You will have 40 mins per Case study which is plenty of time. The case studies are there in front of you to read as you answer the questions.

The questions are multiple choice and to be honest are fairly grand overall. If you read the Case Study and the information above from Walek's post, you'll be absolutely grand.

The questions are pretty straight forward and the majority of answers are found within the Case Studies. Walek's post will have you well prepared for the test.

Any questions, let me know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Passed my CPC Bus Case Study Today. Overall I found the test extremely easy and straightforward, nothing to worry about at all and far from complicated. I will post some study notes I created in relation to the test. These are not the questions and answers to the test. They are simply study notes I made for each story. See Below:

CPC Case Study - Scenario 1 – John

Paragraph 1:

·      Vehicle walk around check should also include:

Cab access steps and rails, exhaust, body work, oil, water, windscreen washer, fuel cap, wheels, tax, insurance, PSV plate. Should not be “quickly” checked as paragraph says…Should be comprehensibly checked.

·      Needs to look directly at hearing impaired person and speak in normal tone and speed of voice.

Paragraph 2:

·      John should have also have engaged the secondary break – hand break when parking to let women and wheelchair users on the bus.  

·      Wheelchair user should have boarded the bus first and then the women and children after.

·      The other passengers in the docking area of the bus should be asked to move. Paragraph does not mention this.

·      Webbing should be applied to wheelchair for correct storage in docking area.

·      John should have been more careful of his manual handling when lifting wheel of wheelchair.

Paragraph 3:

·      What were the benefits of keeping the revs in the green area? Lower fuel consumption, less wear on engine, better passenger comfort, passenger safety.

Paragraph 4:

·      Should have reduced speed, taken foot of accelerator and applied gentle breaking when approaching the right hand corner to prevent passengers being thrown to the outside of the bend.

·      John should have asked / made sure that all passengers were wearing their seatbelts.

·      John and his company should have ensured that he took his scheduled mandatory break periods. Minimum 15 minutes break and minimum 45 mins break after 4.5 hours driving time.

Paragraph 5:

·      Potentially engage retarders or endurance breaking systems for steep decent ahead.

·      John should be prepared to approach the roadworks at the foot of the hill with extra caution and slower speed expecting a signal man, reduced lane widths or potential hazards up ahead.

·      Taking foot of accelerator and applying gentle breaking was the correct thing to do. Good driving decisions.

Paragraph 6:

·      Maximum speed on the dual carriageway is 100km, not 120km. John should have driven slower.

·      First item John should show to the Garda is his driving licence.

·      John should have checked his wheel condition prior to driving during the vehicle walk around test.

Paragraph 7:

·      Vehicle inspector was called and he was the one who grounded the bus for repairs. Several faults noted on inspection.

·      John should be able to answer questions in relation to the company`s vehicle maintenance records and fault reporting procedures.

·      John represented his company poorly and now will be prosecuted.

CPC Case Study - Scenario 2 – Alan

Paragraph 1:

·      Correct procedure checking his mirrors for cyclist oncoming on inside.

·      Cyclist should not have been in the contra flow bus lane in the first instance.

·      Cyclist glanced over right shoulder – Driver done well to anticipate the cyclist was about to do something by double checking his mirror.

·      Did not see motorcyclist probably because distracted with cyclist on left.

·      Rear overhang of bus should not have swung into motorcyclist path. Driver should have moved to right before turning to left to create more space ??

Paragraph 2:

·      Alan should not have driven when angry.

·      He should have not driven faster to make up more time.

·      He should have decelerated and gently braked prior to taking the corner.

·      He should have checked the mirror to see if passengers on the upper deck were okay and recovered from the harsh cornering.

Paragraph 3:

·      Alan done the right thing taking a firm grip of the steering wheel when the tyre blow out occurred.

·      He shouldn`t have crossed two lanes of traffic to get to the hard shoulder. He should have pulled in as far to the left as possible!!

·      What should he have done before leaving the bus to inspect the tyre? Hazard warning lights, parking break, switch engine off, inform passengers.

·      Should not have been flagging down traffic by hand. This is a job for the Gardai only.

Paragraph 4:

·      Alan should have informed the passengers about the emergency prior to getting off the bus to inspect the tyre blow out.

·      He dealt with the passenger effectively who wanted to leave the bus – Explained that it is a hazard and not possible to leave.

Paragraph 5:

·      Alan dealt with the passenger effectively in relation to managing safety. He explained the potential for a hazard to occur if the passenger went off the bus for a smoke and represented the company well in this instance. He was also polite which was appropriate.  

Paragraph 6:

·      He should not have needed to recount passengers on board? He should already have a tally in his head before he rang the depot the first time.

·      Alan should not have moved all the luggage completely by himself as this is a manual handling hazard.

CPC Case Study - Scenario 3 – Michael

Paragraph 1:

·      No notes of interest.

Paragraph 2:

·      Unladen weight calculation plus passengers seems correct? (To find the unladen weight, check the driver's side doorframe for a plate named "Title and Loading Information)

Paragraph 3:

·      Bus Vehicle Weights:

Two Axel Bus: 19.5 Tonnes

Three Axel Busses: 25 Tonnes, 26 Tonnes,

Three Axel Articulated Bus: 28 Tonnes

·      Swept area of the bus is the line / angle covered for the bus to move out making a turn and then back into road position again. (The envelope swept out by the sides of the vehicle body, or any other part of the structure of the vehicle).

·      Good observation of rules of road….Times of bus lane openings, 4 second rule in wet weather. (Tracking a vehicle past a fixed point for 4 seconds)

Paragraph 4:

·      School bus should have also been equipped with a first aid kit and high vis vest.

·      Interior lights should be left on to allow passengers to see inside, not just turned on when necessary.

Paragraph 5:

·      ABS lights should go out on takeoff when driving. Michael should not have continued to drive with the ABS lights still on.

Paragraph 6:

·      Should Michael anticipated the route where the diversion was sent by the Gardai?

·      Important here to know the vehicle height, width, stability, ect…because of the unforeseen hazards.

·      Maximum Vehicle Lengths:

Two Axel Bus: 13.5 metres

Bus More Than Two Axels: 15.0 metres

Articulated Bus: 18.75 metres

Bus Maximum Heights: 4.75 metres

Bus Maximum Width: 2.55 metres

·      Other double decker bus should have checked the height restrictions of the bridge prior to driving and planning his route.

·      How should Michael deal with the children who were standing on the bus and not wearing seatbelts? Ask them to please sit and wear seatbelts. Stop vehicle first for safety reasons? Physically check afterwards to see if children correctly restrained before pulling off again?

Paragraph 7:

·      Who is the governing body for international transport? National Transport Authority.

·      What is a tri axel coach? (A tri-axle vehicle is a truck, tractor, or trailer with three axles grouped together at the rear. Tri-axle vehicles are primarily used to haul heavy loads. The multiple axles and wheels allow for better weight displacement and stability).

·      European Community Licence is a licence to make international journeys for hire or reward within the 27 EU countries and 5 other countries.

·      As Michael was sleepy and thinking about these things, he was most likely distracted whilst at the wheel driving.

Paragraph 8:

CPC Case Study - Scenario 4 – Sean

Paragraph 1:

·      Sean should not have rushed through the walkaround check of the vehicle.

·      On the Walk Around Vehicle Check, He forgot to check:

Tax and Insurance, exhaust, vehicle body work, steps and rails, air suspension, windscreen washer, fluid levels.

·      On the In Cab Checks He forgot to check: Windscreen washer, demister, tachograph, ABS lights,

Paragraph 2+3:

·      Sean should have ensured his lights were correctly set to dims before pulling off on the journey.

·      Unsure how Sean should have coped with the extra passengers at the stop ??

Paragraph 4:

·      Sean should keep the passengers informed about the further delay due to picking up the wheelchair passenger.

·      Sean should not have “bent” over to pick up the suitcase, rather adopting a correct manual handling stance or allowed the wheelchair passenger to act independently and bring the suitcase on themselves. He should not have proceeded to continue lifting the suitcase after he felt a pain in his back. The suitcase should not have been placed under a seat closest to the door, rather put in a correct storage area within the bus.

Paragraph 5:

·      Sean did the correct thing asking other passengers to move from the wheelchair space.

·      Sean did the correct thing asking the man with the cane to move and asking another passenger to give up a seat for the man, especially considering the bus was designed for standing passengers also.

Paragraph 6:

·      Sean should not have allowed the wheelchair passenger to secure one of the straps when securing the wheelchair to the bus, Sean should have done this himself as he is trained to do so and the passenger is not.

·      Sean should have checked his interior mirrors before pulling away from the stop to ensure all passengers were seated or holding to overhead rails prior to pulling off. This would have prevented the young man from stumbling.

Paragraph 7:

·      Speed on the motorway is too high as it should be max 65km/ph on a bus with standing passengers.

·      Sean should reduce speed when leaving motorway to smaller road and match the speed recommendation of the joining road.  

·      Can a bus carry more passengers than seats?? I think it can. I think it has a capacity for sitting and standing.

·      Sean should make sure to show constraint and patience even though the truck overtook him above the speed limit. Should make sure to leave enough room for the truck to pull back into lane after overtaking also.

·      Sean should have slowed, taken foot off accelerator and gently braked before going around the blind corner, especially considering how erratic the truck was driving. Should be anticipating hazard ahead.

·      Sean should not have quickly turned left on to adjacent street to avoid delay. Should have stopped, turned off engine, used hazard warning lights, called emergency services, ect??

·      Sean should have taken more due care and attention to avoid standing passengers falling.

·      Sean should have kept the passengers informed of the diversion prior to them mentioning it.

·      Sean should have most likely reported the articulated lorry at the scene of the accident, rather than later back at the station.

Paragraph 7:

·      Sean should not have pulled into a place with yellow lines to let the irate passenger off the bus. He should have explained that this was not possible due to safety issues.

·      Unsure why Sean went off the bus to do an inspection of the busses exterior at this time??

CPC Case Study - Scenario 5 – Ciara

Paragraph 1:

Paragraph 2:

·      Should Ciara wait to be asked by the elderly and special needs passengers for help getting on and off the bus….or should she offer first?

·      Ciara should offer assistance for the visually impaired passenger finding a seat on the bus.

·      Should Ciara use the kneeling facility of the bus for passengers with effected mobility without being asked?? Yes I believe so.

Paragraph 3:

·      Ciara should waited for the visually and hearing impaired passenger to be seated and assisted her with finding seating if needed before pulling off despite trying to make up for lost time.

Paragraph 4:

·      Ciara done well to check the bus for unauthorised passengers prior to the beginning of the trip. Should Ciara of called the Gardai also??

Paragraph 5:

·      Ciara done the correct action in calling the Garda to investigate the passenger digging through the luggage.

·      Ciara should not have “quickly” unloaded the luggage. She should have taken more care and attention to manual handling.

·      Ciara should not have interfered with the Garda`s intention to question the passenger.

Paragraph 6:

·      Ciara should not have brought the bag into the station during a stop. This should have been done at the beginning or end of the working day to avoid causing passengers delays.

Paragraph 7:

·      She should not have necessarily changed her speed to match the speed limit. This would suggest she increased her speed from 90km/ph to 100km/ph.

·      The responsiveness of the bus in high winds can be a dangerous occurrence since there was less weight on board, the bus would be more likely to sway in the wind and potentially topple over.

Paragraph 8:

·      She should not have taken a sharp turn, rather taken her foot off the accelerator, applied gentle breaking and slowed gradually, reading the road up ahead and this would have prevented luggage from overhead compartments falling.

·      There is clearly an issue with the overhead compartment in the bus. This needs to be reported to the company and the vehicle grounded for repairs if necessary.

CPC Case Study - Scenario 6 – Aishling

Paragraph 1:

·      Where to find information about vehicle weights, dimensions, ect?? Vehicle Manufacturers Specification.

·      Calculation for gross vehicle weight? (To find the unladen weight, check the driver's side doorframe for a plate named "Title and Loading Information and then add weight of passengers and baggage)

Paragraph 2:

·      Aishling should take care to drive slowly and with due care and attention, especially considering the route has many hills and she will need an increased stopping distance having a full bus load.

Paragraph 3:

·      Aishling should be fully familiar with the vehicle including the use of hand operated retarders and holding gears before operating the vehicle. Overuse of the foot break will cause excess and unnecessary wear.

·      She should ensure taking corners more slowly, releasing accelerator, applying gentle breaking, looking out for passenger comfort.

Paragraph 4:

·      She should also make sure to check mirrors, indicate, then move out before turning left.

Paragraph 5:

·      Aishling should make sure that she checked the height of the bridge on the new road before departing on the journey.

·      She should have checked her mirrors before signalling and moving off.

·      She should have waited for the passenger to take her seat prior to taking off from the stop.

·      She should have ensured that the passengers luggage was correctly stored before moving off.

·      She should not have turned into Barrow Street as there were Bollards at the entrance to the street.

Paragraph 6:

·      Aishling should not only have stopped the bus but also used her hazard warning lights, then opened the emergency exit. 

·      Should she used more than one fire exit door on the bus?

·      She should have directed the passengers to remain calm when exiting the bus and instruct them to exit in single file also. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Whats the craic with the cpc tests and practical test, Passed the bus test last year but haven't bothered with anything since.

I'm excempt from the CPC at present driving wise both trucks &buses, How much extra does it cost for the tests and what's involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Malcolm X

I recently passed my Bus CPC theory test and wanted to give something back here to the community. The questions posted here helped me preparing for it.

The test questions are randomly generated by the system and some can be repetitive (e.g. same answer to slightly different question).

I had passed the Truck CPC theory test a few months earlier and the Bus CPC test is much easier in my opinion.

Here are the most challenging questions from my test and correct answers.

Case Study 1

John

Why did passengers and John had to wait at road side?

Correct answer: Because flat tyre had to be replaced

(there was another answer option: waiting for replacement bus -

because the bus was confiscated in the end I was not sure which of the two would be correct)

What action to take when going over steep hill?

Correct answer: Lower gear ratio

(there was another answer option: change gears in lower ratio quickly - during the test I was not sure if this would be the answer)

When to change to lower gear when going over the hill?

Correct answer: Before going downhill

(there was another answer option: while driving downhill - during the test I was not sure if this would be the answer)

Case Study 3

Michael

Who issues international insurance certificate?

Correct answer: insurance company

(there was another answer option: C.I.E. or something like that - I did not know what it was but went for insurance company anyways)

Most of it is common sense and a lot of the answers can be found in the case study text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 afunnyguy134

Hi guys just wondering, is CPC test questions multiple choice based answers? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 s.p

Doing my truck case study Cpc in few weeks. Just wondering could anyone help with Questions and answers. Appreciate it