Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Thunderstorm July 25th/26th 1985

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Damn. Between epic snow and thunderstorm events it seems the Eighties was the time to be around if you were a weather enthusiast. I would like to be able relive something like that - ah i remember the winter of 2008 well... there was two foot of lying snow which took several weeks to melt!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Indeed the eighties were interesting, but I was quite young and can only remember the July 1985 storm as my first weather memory. I do recall that every summer from 1985-1989 was crap with the exception of the first week of April 1988 or 1989 which was pure class for sunshine and heat.
    The winter floods of 1989 were awful.
    The winter snow of 1987 was mega, being 4ft high and trundeling through 3ft difts was quite a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Here are the charts posted ealier in slideshow format on youtube. Gives a good account of the synoptics leading up to the storms of July 25th/26th 1985. Get to know them, and know them well, because this is what we are looking for in the future! ;) (well, all us mad one's anyway!!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI84mfQtRVU&fmt=18

Original can be downloaded here:

slideshow...wmv (678.4 KB)

A thousand thanks to Trodgor who organised both the above. Nice one!!

Snowbie or Supercell, the second link there won't work as it needs to be attached (it is a better quality view altogether! Is there any chance you could do this as we haven't foggiest idea how to do it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Great work guys, the link for the slideshow ain't working Deep Easterly, just taught I'd let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Here are the charts posted ealier in slideshow format on youtube. Gives a good account of the synoptics leading up to the storms of July 25th/26th 1986. Get to know them, and know them well, because this is what we are looking for in the future! ;)

Good to see you got it working in the end Paddy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Here are the charts posted ealier in slideshow format on youtube. Gives a good account of the synoptics leading up to the storms of July 25th/26th 1985. Get to know them, and know them well, because this is what we are looking for in the future! ;) (well, all us mad one's anyway!!!!)

Snowbie or Supercell, the second link there won't work as it needs to be attached (it is a better quality view altogether! Is there any chance you could do this as we haven't foggiest idea how to do it. Thanks.
    No probs:)

Here you are paddy;)
    http://www.brayweather.com/videos/slideshow.wmv

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

Thanks Trogdor excellent work!! There was a cold front which came across from the west I think and merged with the low from the south . Are there any charts from the past that would show the front.

ps I used to work in eircom and i have some hair raising stories about that night from customers in the finglas area which I will post here soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I remember fondly both the 85 and 86 storms. The period leading up to the 85 storm was humid and thundery. The week before it happened, I was in the attic replacing some coaxial cable when there was a thunderclap that nearly made me jump through the bedroom ceiling! For the next few days you just knew that the weather was spoiling for a fight and boy did we get one. The afternoon before the storm, I was in a car outside the old Gateaux factory in Finglas. It was warm, muggy and seriously overcast, yet you couldn't make out an individual cloud. There was a massive singular flash of lighning accompanied by and explosion of thunder. No rain, no wind, nothing else giving the game away. This weather system was just clearing its throat. Later that evening, I listened to 2FM (radio2 in those days) and the headline at 11pm was that "a massive thunderstorm was affecting two thirds of the country". What followed was the most unforgettable night (in meteorological terms anyway!!) I can remember. Constant lightning & thunder and hailstones like house bricks. There was massive flooding, no electricity, dead birds and animals. Even the air after the storm smelt weird! The reports on RTE TV news afterwards were poor. Some still pictures of lightning with the sound of canned thunder dubbed on top were the best they could procure by way of evidence of the previous nights events. Charlie Birds footage of dead crows down around Moone (I think) made up for it a little.

The 86 storm kicked off on a Friday morning with the most spectacular lightning and thunder imaginable. Whilst the 85 storm was very violent, prolonged, and intense, this one started out of almost nothing. The morning was humid and misty and the mist obviously hid a growing army of Cumulonimbus. Come 11am, the sky exploded with what seemed like a slightly greater ferocity that the 85 storm. Yet part one of 86 event was over in about 90 minutes after about 3 inches of rain and a bit of hail started drying up. The afternoon was muggy, fairly bright and dry.

Part 2 of the 86 storm got going the following evening (Saturday) as Simple Minds were wrapping up in Croker. There was pink, green and blue lightning - yes I kid you not - and even the spider "crawling" variety. There was little or no rain with it until after midnight. The thunder was very unnerving, and one house in Dolmen Court, near where I lived at the time took a direct hit. My siblings and I all jumped out of bed with the "blast" from that particular strike. The remnants of the chimney stack were in the front garden, and apparenty there was a crack in the chimney breast in one of the bedrooms where the lighning made its path to earth. The occupants had a very lucky escape. This is the one and only time I have been close to a CG strike and it was spectaclar and frighening in equal measure.

I can't remember storms like those 85/86 offerings in this country since for sheer violence or spectacle. I've seem similar in Spain and France whilst on holidays but they didn't match our two home-brewed offerings. They were truly unforgettable and even today, they are unmatched by anything since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Danno wrote: »
    Indeed the eighties were interesting, but I was quite young and can only remember the July 1985 storm as my first weather memory. I do recall that every summer from 1985-1989 was crap with the exception of the first week of April 1988 or 1989 which was pure class for sunshine and heat.
    The winter floods of 1989 were awful.
    The winter snow of 1987 was mega, being 4ft high and trundeling through 3ft difts was quite a treat!

i remember 89 being a fantastic summer , not as good as the summer of 95 overall but a few days in the summer of 89 were warmer than anything in 95 , i was only 6 in 1983 but i think i remember (those 3 days as the older generation refer to them ) a particulary sweltering period

anyway the storm of 85 and 86 , the one in 85 lasted longer but i remember the storm of 86 being incredibly violent also where i live , the phone in one of my neighbours ( live in the country ) house was mounted on the wall and blown to smithereens or so the legend goes
    i was often told about a storm years ago where 2 horses who lived in a field close to my house were incinerated , all you could see was the marks in the field from there hooves

i dont remember a storm from 1990 but i do remember one from around august of 91 , along with my parents i came across a traffice accident involving a lorry around 4.30 pm and by the time we got through and got home around 5.30 pm ,. the storm began , it only lasted about 2 hrs but was a good un , that one may only have been in a relativly localised area though ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

1990 was a fantastic summer, not 89 if I remember correctly. Could be wrong on that though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

1990 was a fantastic summer, not 89 if I remember correctly. Could be wrong on that though.

1990 was a fantastic summer as the world cup was on and ireland done well

as regards the weather here , you have it back to front

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

We still talk about a savage thunderstorm around late June 1986, around the time my brother was born. I only very vagyely remember it.
    Our phone line at home was hit and phone blasted off the wall! My parents say the lightning was so intense and bright that during the night it was possible to almost count the animals in a neighbouring field.

Also remember that one in August 1990. Was scared sh!!less!

Oh wow, I remember the thunder snowstorm, it was my first one as well, but I didn't know when it was. I was living half way up a tower block in Ballymun at the time and it was very scary. For some reason I remember the sound of trees falling over - don't ask why - could have been a door creaking somewhere in it.

Weirdly enough, I don't remember the 85 storm!!! I do remember the 86 one, though, as it kept us awake all night and there were two hits in our part of the Mun. Scary as hell. I remember how hot an humid it was that evening before it started and looking out at the lightning jumping across the sky.

Must have been some view of it all looking out of one of them!

Anniversary of the '86 storm coming up now. God be with the days.....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I was 11 at the time in '85 and i'll never forget seeing those menacing clouds at around 5pm at the start of it. Even the first raindrops were huge!!
    The hailstones were huge like tennis balls, never to be seen again in this country since then.

It was a truly frightening 24hr event with non-stop thunder and lightening, and never want to experience it again.
    The '86 one was a repeat but not as severe, so the '85 one will always be remembered for its violence!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Flash flooding in Donegal, Any pix?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Am not sure of the conditions which lead to either the 1985 or 1986 storms, so I can't even guess if it would happen again, however I am of the mind that if it can happen once, it can happen twice. but the 86 one is the one I remember most. The day started off sunny (around 0630) and started to cloud over around 0845-0900. the first strike came at around 1000 hrs and after that all hell broke loose.

On the subject of the 80s being the best for extreme weather, I would agree. It seemed to go all boring until the 1997 december storm, which in my opinion was more violent than Hurricane Charley in '86

The 2000s have been worse than the 1990s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It was terrifying and I don't want to experience it again.

We (my father, sister and I) were up the fields bringing in the hay, we were 10 and 11 years old, it was after 4pm.
    It came quite suddenly and it was like lightning everywhere in the field, I have never seen lightning as close as that since then and it was extremely close, we ran and got into the tractor for safety, it was terrifying, absolutely frightening. It wasn't a big field but it had several lightning strikes within no time at all.
    We got home and we still had electricity, my father went out to bring in the cows to milk. Inside our mother had us all praying the rosary as the lightning raged outside.
    He got through that ok but the electricity then went, I think a blessed candle was gotten out then, we went to bed and still it went on.
    It was a bad experience.

My uncle had 8 cattle killed by the lightning and I remember at the time it was on the news that the lightning killed a number of people.
    We don't want that type of thunderstorm again, way too dangerous and extreme.

Thanks for sharing your experience, fascinating stuff. Imagine it was that intense that there were strikes so close. Is that the 85 or 86 you refer to Min?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I can remember the July 1985 storm very well. I'd never experienced a thunderstorm like it (I was 12). It rained all day in Dublin, plenty of activity in the afternoon & evening, but I was woken by a huge bang sometime that night (early hours of the morning). I thought it was great fun! Not everyone would agree of course.

In fact, until the storm in October 2003 I can't remember a thunderstorm that was as bad here (although I have experienced a few big ones abroad).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

mfitzy wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your experience, fascinating stuff. Imagine it was that intense that there were strikes so close. Is that the 85 or 86 you refer to Min?

I can't really remember, it could be '85 and probably was given it was July and probably more likely hay was being brought in as we didn't make hay till July - had to ask my father that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

i'm too young to remeber that but i remember my parents telling me about it, it sounded like scary stuff, they can recall the day after it finished jehova's witnesses called to door saying the storms were a sign that the rapture was imminent:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Wonder what StormVue radar would have been like during that storm....

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

I remember it too (1986). I was only 6 at the time but was in Skerries on holidays. that day (Saturday) was a scorcher. I've never seen or heard a thunder storm as violent since. Is it my 6 year old's memory or was the weather beautiful again the next day?- As if nothing had happened the night before.
    Actually, I'm a bit muddled about the 85/86 storms. I do remember 'the adults' discussing the colour of the lightning (yellow and blue) which they had never seen before

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Nope it was '89 that was a long hot summer. 1990 was the usual schlock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

yes, 1989 was a hot one. The year I sat the Leaving Cert and saw The Cure in a boiling RDS Simmonscourt on 15 July.
    Lots of mascara running.

Best summers that I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

Yes I also remember this well! Our house in Dundrum had its TV aerial hit and it knocked out the electricity, cable,etc. I remember our neighbour across the road telling us she saw a ball of lightning rolling along the roof. All the electric equipment in the house fried. I remember putting a Heaven 17 record on and it had sparks coming out of the needle. My dad was interviewed on radio the next day with I think, Marian Finucane. The fire brigade arrived but really there was no fire, just smoke damage. Have been afraid of thunder and lightning ever since. My overriding memory is that the sky was very green in colour that night, not sure why that would be? Mad night though!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

loup wrote: »
    I remember putting a Heaven 17 record on and it had sparks coming out of the needle.
    i heard reports of fingers of static electricity crawling up peoples internal walls and I saw what can only be described as bullet holes in peoples hearths and fireplaces where the lightning came down the chimney:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

1990 was a great summer just after the world cup no rain for weeks and every day a scorcher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Best summers that I remember

I'd put 2006 on your list as well. That was another scorcher iirc

Advertisement