Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whereto get local air pressure reading

Options
  • 15-12-2014 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Can someone please give me a site where you can get local air pressure? I am setting up this. It says to get a local reading

Is hectopascals the same as millibars

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Here: http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp
    Yorker wrote: »
    Is hectopascals the same as millibars

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

Thanks
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    Thanks . The county is there but not the town. i found the town in the meantime on another site.

This unit i have says the pressure needs to be entered the first time but i see it is the same as the local reading.How would this be?.
    It synchronises time with a radio transmitter MSF but that does not include pressure does it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yorker wrote: »
    This unit i have says the pressure needs to be entered the first time but i see it is the same as the local reading.How would this be?.

Possibly just pure luck!

Might be best to compare with your nearest Met E station as you never know, your local source may not have adjusted/set their station accurately!!! :)

What town you in? Possibly then somebody could direct you to an accurate source?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

I try to calibrate my weather station when there is a HP over the country. I am about half way between finner and knock airport, so when they are about the same I choose that pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

kkontour wrote: »
    I try to calibrate my weather station when there is a HP over the country. I am about half way between finner and knock airport, so when they are about the same I choose that pressure

You'd probably be nearer Markree Castle then for a pressure reading (considering Finner is at sea level and Knock Airport is about 600 feet ASL).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

You'd probably be nearer Markree Castle then for a pressure reading (considering Finner is at sea level and Knock Airport is about 600 feet ASL).
    But dont they give relative pressure readings, which take in to account the ASL factor?
    I never noticed markree listed before:confused: DoH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭tphase

kkontour wrote: »
    But dont they give relative pressure readings, which take in to account the ASL factor?
    the ME pressure readings will be corrected to sea level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

My waether pressure is still keeping track with a local one i found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

All barometric pressure readings given by Met Eireann is based on sea level. Local air pressure could be slightly or substantially lower depending on how high the ground is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Pressure generally drops by 1 hPa (mBar) for every 8 m (27 ft) rise in altitude, but the exact drop varies slightly, depending on the virtual temperature of the airmass. But for our purposes it's accurate enough.

Use this hourly chart to set your sea-level pressure.

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?date=0&lang=en&area=uk&size=standard

• Advertisement
Advertisement