Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People's Democracy Christmas Card circa 1971

Options
  • 22-12-2010 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

I hope I've posted this in the right forum. I found this old christmas card/political ephemera piece recently. I've read a bit about People's Democracy. I'm mainly curious who is being lampooned in the the Nazi caricature?

The cover, which is presumably a drawing of Long Kesh.

5281134929_e7365206c6_b.jpg

The interior

5281735958_7437bb04bb_b.jpg

The back just says "Printed and Published By People's Democracy" in small writing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

I hope I've posted this in the right forum. I found this old christmas card/political ephemera piece recently. I've read a bit about People's Democracy. I'm mainly curious who is being lampooned in the the Nazi caricature?

The cover, which is presumably a drawing of Long Kesh.

5281134929_e7365206c6_b.jpg

The interior

5281735958_7437bb04bb_b.jpg

The back just says "Printed and Published By People's Democracy" in small writing.
    Very interesting. The person in the picture depicted as Hitler seems to be Brian Faulkner as in the picture below. He was PM of NI at the introduction of internment.

Brianfaulkner.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I think it looks more like William Craig, who had been Home Secretary in the Unionist Northern Ireland government and had in that capacity banned the march in Derry on October 5th 1968 which is traditionally seen as the spark for the Troubles.

By 1971 he was leader of the Vanguard movement which had held Nazi-like rallies and advocated a hard line attitude against Republicans and Nationalists. He had been expelled from the Unionist party for being too hardline and self seeking.

Advertisement