Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even Historians like Christmas - but what are Irish Traditions.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MarchDub wrote: »
    My two favourite parts of Christmas - plum pudding and crackers - came over from England. According to info on my crackers box [how about that for original source material] the tradition of crackers started with Tom Smith in Clerkenwell in London in 1847 who wrapped up small cakes in twisted packages and put two strips of thin card pasted with saltpetre in the package to make a sparkle when they were pulled apart to open the twisted package. And the rest - as they say - is history.
    No idea if this is true - but it makes a great story. :D

Another note - in Dublin there was a tradition of preserving eggs for Christmas. I remember both my grandmothers had large vats of eggs in a saline? solution being preserved because the price of eggs soared at Christmas and eggs were needed for all the Christmas baking.

My afore mentioned brother in law would always nip to the chipper when he came to our house in England. He grew up on pickled eggs and every chipper (or chippy as we say) sells them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

My afore mentioned brother in law would always nip to the chipper when he came to our house in England. He grew up on pickled eggs and every chipper (or chippy as we say) sells them.

I'm not sure that what my grandmothers had were pickled eggs [they're cooked right?] in those large tin vats because the eggs would remain fresh - I mean uncooked - and ready for breaking and putting into cakes. But they set down the eggs in August or thereabouts so it was over some time that they were preserved. No idea how it was done. No one got food poisoning that I know of, so it must have worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

More food history but I am on the search for the first shop Santa in Ireland and panto's too if anyone has any ideas

Christmas Food - Where Our Christmas Dinner Comes From

turkey.jpg
    In our podcast for this topic we spoke with Regina Sexton, food and culinary historian from University College Cork
    She is also the author of A Little History of Irish Food. The discussion was wide ranging but I thought it might be interesting to share the origins of two of the mainstays of christmas food traditions in this article, the turkey and the mince pie.
    The "big bird" has been influenced by the work of Victorian writers like Charles Dickens and the ideals of family, luxury and comfort that informed Victorian traditions. However as Regina makes clear, the big bird was not a new invention of the 19th century and in fact during medieval times, what would now seem exotic were staples of the Christmas table, the swan, the heron and even the peacock. The driver for the exotic birds was to ensure fresh meat was served at Christmas, both to display wealth and luxury and to celebrate the turning of the year from a time when days grew shorter to a time when day began, slowly to lengthen.
    The modern mince pie displays only some of the attributes of the very old traditions that saw its creation in the middle ages. Where our mince pies are fruit laden and almost exclusively sweet, the mince pies of the 1500s were actually made with meat, mutton or beef according to Regina and were heavy with animal fat. like the desire for birds, the rarity of meat served in any form in the depths of winter made the mince pie, with its spice and meat quite the luxury.
    But mince pies were introduced very early. Selden says that the coffin shape of the crust is an imitation of the cratch or manger wherein the "infant Jesus was laid," but we must turn to Misson for a description of its contents. He says:
    Every family against Christmas, makes a famous pie, which they call 'Christmas pie'. It is a great nostrum; the composition of this pasty is a most learned mixture of neats' tongues, chicken, eggs, sugar, raisins, lemon and orange-peel, with various kinds of spicery.
    On inquiry in the kitchen, we have learned that neats' tongues and chickens have been replaced with beef, but that "perhaps the old fashion was a good one." Misson, however, tells that the English, in addition to their Christmas pie, made "plum porridge," which was served up to table in bowls, and eaten with a spoon. This was the original Christmas pudding, and there are some in England who even unto this day have their bowl of plum porridge. Brand mentions that on Christmas Day, 1801, he dined with the Royal Chaplain at St. James's, "and partook of the first thing served up and eaten on that festival at that table: i. e., a tureen full of luscious plum porridge."* There is no accounting for tastes, but for ourselves we prefer to have it in the reasonable form of pudding.

http://www.historyjournal.ie/archives/nine-years-war/158-christmas-food-where-our-christmas-dinner-comes-from.html

Nyom nyom nyom

And
    The Christmas book

christmasbook.jpgThe Christmas book: Christmas in the olden time, its customs and their origin : the holly and ivy, sports of the eve, Yule log, boar's head, the dinner, mummers, Lord of Misrule, Saturnalia, carols, mysteries and plays, boxes, &c. &c
    Free on Google Books (to stream of download)
    A really wonderful book that contains just about anything one might need for researching Christmas traditions. The beauty of the Google Books platform makes it searchable and open to investgation too, which really helped for this topic It also opens the eyes to other works that might be of use and for that alone it is worthwhile.

http://www.historyjournal.ie/book-reviews/69-christmas-traditions-book-reviews/161-the-christmas-book.html

Can anyone find a link for this ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

MarchDub wrote: »
    I'm not sure that what my grandmothers had were pickled eggs ...
    No what your Granny had were I believe "glassed eggs" or "glass eggs" preserved raw by dipping them in a water glass (sodium silicate) solution.

Details here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate

(it seems correct and ties in with the best of my recollections)

Panto has its origans with Mummers.

The Origins of the Christmas Pantomime

A medieval Christmas celebration called mumming

Mumming was a form of folk entertainment, performed in silence by groups of masked and costumed merrymakers.They would sing and dance in the streets, acting out stories. These performances may have originated from earlier pagan winter celebrations but by the 12th century these masked plays had become a feature of Christmas at Court. These plays largely revolved around death, resurrection and the victory of good over evil, and retained their popularity up until the mid-19th century.
    Pantomine in the 16th century

A new form of theatre was to surface in Italy in 1560 and spread through France into Britain. The commedia dell'arte (comedy of art) featured extravagant costumes, beautiful masks, and intricate scenery and the typical storyline was based around the characters of Harlequin, his love interest Columbine and her father Pantaloon. Other characters were Pierrot, Clown and the father's servant Pulchinello. These performances evolved into comic chases and slapstick comedy of modern day pantomime and circus.
    The "father" of modern pantomime

In 1714, John Rich inherited, from his parents, a share in Lincoln's Inn Fields Theatre and also went on to open Covent Garden Theatre in 1732. He found great prosperity with both these theatres, by playing the role of Harlequin in "ballet-pantomimes" or harlequinades. Seeing Rich's success with his pantomimes, his rival David Garrick began to produce his own performances at his Theatre Royal in Drury Lane.

Read more at Suite101: The Origins of the Christmas Pantomime http://www.suite101.com/content/the-origins-of-the-christmas-pantomime-a318066#ixzz18Q49pANZ

History Of Panto

The traditional pantomime has been influenced by many things over its almost five hundred year history. Pantomime as we know it can mainly be traced back to the 1500’s where it emerged from the Italian tradition of ‘Commedia Dell’Arte’. Commedia dell’Arte was a popular type of travelling theatre performed by wandering actors and it travelled through Italy to France to the UK in the sixteenth century.
    Commedia dell’Arte generally featured actors improvising their way through a story involving characters such as Harlequin and his true love, Columbine. Other characters that often featured were the overprotective father, Pantaloon and his servant, Pulchinello (who would later be known as ‘Clown’). Although the character of Pulchinello has vanished from the modern pantomime, he still exists as Mr. Punch, the puppet who along with his wife Judy can still be seen in English seaside towns and parks today.

The main problem with the travelling Commedia dell’Arte shows was that the main actors did not speak very good English. This meant that the scenes from their shows had to be mimed as the audience couldn’t understand the language and more singing and dancing was introduced to the shows. Rather than telling jokes, the actors also had to make people laugh with funny actions, chases and mimes. The Harlequin character would carry a wooden sword during these shows with which he would comically ‘slap’ fellow actors, and this is what became called ‘slapstick’ humour.
    The first actual ‘pantomime’ was staged in 1717 when the ballet-pantomime The Lovers of Mars and Venus was produced at John Rich’s Lincoln Inn Fields Theatre. These pantomimes became extremely popular during the 18th century and in 1773 the Theatre Royal in DruryLane, London staged the first pantomime story that we would recognise today – Jack The Giant Killer.
    Aladdin and his Wonderful Lamp followed in 1788, the characters of Clown, Harlequin and Pantaloon now being firmly established. Pantomime continued to grown in popularity in the 1800s as the original pantomime clown, Joseph Grimaldi, wowed audiences with his performances. His shows included comic songs and slapstick humour and he also introduced another pantomime tradition – the Pantomime Dame.

http://www.ballinasloepanto.com/history-of-panto/history-of-panto-2

The innuendo and the Dame

It would kind of stand to reason that given that in Shakespeares time the lead female roles were done by men and boys.

Irish panto and who was the best Dame ever - theres a thought.

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    ... Irish panto and who was the best Dame ever - theres a thought. ...
    The one and only, the magnificent Jimmy O'Dea. As a kid, I enjoyed him at many pantos originally in the old Theatre Royal (where I made my own thespian debut in a little farce produced by the late great Tomás MacCanna) and latterly in The Gaiety in South King Street.

There was none better than Jimmy - it's a shame he died so young with so much still to offer.

mathepac wrote: »
    The one and only, the magnificent Jimmy O'Dea. As a kid, I enjoyed him at many pantos originally in the old Theatre Royal (where I made my own thespian debut in a little farce produced by the late great Tomás MacCanna) and latterly in The Gaiety in South King Street.

There was none better than Jimmy - it's a shame he died so young with so much still to offer.

is there a youtube of him doing his thing.

An aside. The slapstick comedians were soo good and it was an art form. I read somewhere that Benny Hills sidekick from Northern Ireland choreographed the Teletubbies drawing on vaudeville and trained the actors on the moves.

CDfm wrote: »
    is there a youtube of him doing his thing. ...

Extreme rarities I'd say outside of the RTE sound / video archives. Here is all I found a video of a 78 rpm record with Jimmy (pupil) and Harry O'Donovan (the first voice you hear, the schoolmaster) talking and singing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpFOVxjIVBA

I only remember one film Darby O'Gill and the Little People by Walt Disney Pictures with Jimmy playing Brian, the King of the Fairies. If memory serves me right, it was every bit as bad as it sounds, definitely not poor old Jimmy's finest hour. :(

mathepac wrote: »
    I only remember one film Darby O'Gill and the Little People by Walt Disney Pictures with Jimmy playing Brian, the King of the Fairies. If memory serves me right, it was every bit as bad as it sounds, definitely not poor old Jimmy's finest hour. :(

i read a bit about him and given his background acting was a strange choice of occupation -but then -Frank Kelly was a barrister. :)

panto is probably really music hall - i used to hate it when the male lead was a girl

Santa Claus is a big thing in Ireland and along with St Valentine whose remains are in Dublin the fat guy in the red suit also may be here
    Santa Claus buried in Ireland?

Kilkenny Abbey may be final resting place of Saint Nicholas

By JAMES O'BRIEN
    , IrishCentral.com Staff Writer

Published Sunday, December 20, 2009, 8:37 AM
    Updated Tuesday, February 9, 2010, 12:15 PM

Irish historians say there is evidence St. Nicholas' remains were brought to Ireland.

Santa2Dec20_CMS.jpg

The body of the heart-of-gold man later known as Santa Claus is buried in Ireland, according to a new report.
    St. Nicholas, who lived during the 4th century and was Bishop of Lycia in Turkey, was canonized soon after his death in 346 AD.
    He was known for his good deeds and generosity, and the Santa Claus legend sprung up around him. He was known for giving anonymous gifts to the poor and to have placed coins in the shoes of people who left them out for him.
    Now, historians in Ireland say they have evidence that his remains were brought to Ireland and buried in Jerpoint Abbey by Irish Norman crusaders.
    According to local historians and stnicholascenter.org, the church there was "an unusual grave slab with an image of a cleric, thought to be a bishop, and two other heads. The cleric is said to be St. Nicholas and the heads, the two crusaders who, so the story goes, brought Nicholas' remains back to Ireland.
    "Though the church dates from 1170, the grave slab appears to be from the 1300s. The tale tells of a band of Irish-Norman knights from Jerpoint, traveling to the Holy Land to take part in the Crusades. On retreat, as they headed home to Ireland, they seized St. Nicholas' remains, bringing them back to Kilkenny, where the bones were buried.
    "Evidence lends some possible credence to this tale as the Normans in Kilkenny were keen collectors of religious relics – possibly even more so than the Italians. And it is known that Norman knights from Kilkenny participated in the Holy Land Crusades.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Santa-Claus-buried-in-Ireland-claim-79753782.html

When is the first recorded Irish Santa and when did Santa staert in Shops ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Ulsteryank

Good thread guys, and what better way to spend a snowed in Sunday ;) Well something of a modern tradition, not necessarily one that many partake in, but one occurring in Ireland this time of year is the lottery to be inside Newgrange to see the sun on the solstice, even though it will probably be cloudy, or rain anyway biggrin.gif Grianstad an Gheimhridh being an ancient native observance without the influence from the Scandinavians or Anglo-Saxons.

Although a pre-Celtic observance, the solar imagery must have been acknowledged by the ancient Gaels to place Daghdha, the great god who received solar characteristics, at the tumulus, the same one he nailed Bóinn in, where Aonghus was popped out. Also being the same place our other god with solar designations Lugh, did the same thing with Deichtine, to bring us Cú Chulainn.

Dáithí Ó hÓgáin says in his The Sacred Isle: Belief and Religion in pre-Christian Ireland, that the art work on the agrarian neolithic monuments bares a striking resemblance to the sun's rays, and being a burial site, possibly indicates a belief in the souls being taken away with the Midwinter sunset. A belief that could be the root of the still present Irish folk tradition of carrying a coffin sunwise around a graveyard before depositing it, and possibly an even older one of the oldest member of the family to sleep in the western position of the house, accepting their potential role of being next in line to depart with the setting sun.

Aside from that, an Irish teacher of mine that grew up in Gortahork with Irish being his first language, told me on a winter coffee break that there's plenty of lore his Gaeltacht around the this solstice involving the same spooky stuff you usually hear around Samhain, with the taboo of not being out after dusk.

Modern traditional ones that I like, even if having Christian or Germanic influence, is the Bloc na Nollaig, and the midnight mass. I was at a funeral of my wife's great aunt in Ballinderry, and thought it was interesting that the Church had a candlelit Christmas service, without electric or anything.

Here is a piece about the traditional days of Christmas and the "Official" names for them.

The Irish Twelve Days of Christmas

By Bernd Biege, About.com Guide

You all know the twelve days of Christmas, from Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" to a partridge in a pear tree. But what happens during those twelve days in Ireland? I'll try to give you a short run-down, day by day. Actually for fourteen days, from Christmas Eve to the feast of Epiphany.
    December 24th - Christmas Eve

The Christmas tree was only imported quite recently into Ireland - but Christmas Eve was the time when candles were lit. After sundown several candles, one for each member of the household, were put into the windows. Either as a modernized pagan tradition or "to guide the Holy Family". The largest candle was known as coinneal mór na Nollag ("the great Christmas candle"). Then it was off to church ... And a drink with the neighbors afterwards.
    December 25th - Christmas Day

If you are in search of peace and quiet, this is your day - Ireland is virtually dead to the world on Christmas Day. The day is spent with close family, barricaded into the home, eating Brussels sprouts and watching the annual re-run of "The Sound of Music" on RTÉ. Only around 11 AM do the streets become crowded, with even the unbelievers heading for mass. Maybe the most boring day of the Irish year for visitors. Head for natural attractions, everything else is closed.
    December 26th - St. Stephen's Day (or Boxing Day)

The day of the "Wren Boys" - except in northern Ulster disguised young men go around, reciting nonsensical poems, begging for treats and carrying a dead wren (these days generally in effigy). Similar traditional activities, though at a slightly more sophisticated level, are connected with the mummers. They are active in Ulster, Dublin and Wexford, keeping folk theatre alive.
    December 27th -The Sales

This is the day shops go into overdrive - the post-Christmas sales start and queues begin to form as early as seven o'clock in Dublin. Avoid Brown-Thomas, Arnott's and Clery's around opening time ... unless you want to be amongst the mob hunting for the best bargains. By the way, December 27th is also the feast day of John the Evangelist.
    December 28th - Feast of the Holy Innocents

On this day Herod apparently ordered the slaughter of all first-born - making "childermas" one of the unluckiest day in folk custom. Don’t start any business ventures or journeys, to be sure don’t start anything. The "boy bishops" were de-throned on this day. But this medieval tradition has died long ago, in today's Ireland you find no young adult taking over a bishop's throne over the Christmas period.]
    December 29th
    December 30th

There are no specific traditions connected to these days - today they are used for shopping (mostly stocking up on alcohol) or taking the kids to the zoo, also a time-honored tradition, especially in Dublin.
    December 31st - New Year's Eve

Ireland doesn't do New Year's Eve in a style to rival New York's Times Square, London's Trafalgar Square or Edinburgh's Hogmanay - parties and celebrations are a scattered affair. And very alcohol-fuelled. If you are visiting over this period it might be a good idea to pre-book one of the organized festivities. Unless you want to join the masses trying to get a pint at the pub ...
    January 1st - New Year's Day

"All is quiet on New Year's Day" ... U2 were right - the morning starts of with a deathly quiet. Mainly due to the revels of the night before. Nobody remembers that this is the "Feast of the Circumcision of Our Lord Jesus Christ". As in Roman times this was also was the feast of Janus, the two-faced god of doors and openings. Why not visit the ancient Janus-like figures on Boa Island. You'll be most likely the only person there.
    January 2nd - Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus
    January 3rd
    January 4th

These are days generally used to visit more distant friends and relations, mopping up the left-overs so to say. There is no set agenda.
    January 5th - Twelfth Night Eve and Twelfth Night

Twelfth Night was traditionally the time when Christmas proper ended - hence the "Twelve Days of Christmas" (starting on December 25th). It was a night of feasting, merriment and also practical jokes. These days school starts again around this time, marking the end of the "Christmas holiday" for everyone. The last wild party will, however, more than likely be thrown on a convenient weekend, not necessarily on 12th night.
    January 6th - Epiphany

This day is the Feast of the Epiphany of Our Lord Jesus Christ, traditionally connected to the Adoration of the Magi, or Old Christmas Day (according to the Gregorian Calendar and still observed by some orthodox churches). In Ireland it is better known as Nollaig mBan - Little Christmas or "Women's Christmas". This was the day when women were cherished, could put their feet up and (after twelve or more days of slaving away to keep the menfolk happy) and enjoy. An almost forgotten tradition.
    Handsel Monday

We must not forget the Irish tradition of Handsel Monday, the first monday in January - when children would get small gifts, called (you guessed it) "handsels"

http://goireland.about.com/od/irelandalivealiveoh/qt/christmas_12day.htm

Anyone know what this "boy bishop" thing was about - it seems very superstitous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Here are a few more customs/ stories regarding Christmas, I particularly like the goose being plucked story -
    If it snowed on Christmas Eve, Irish children were told that geese were being plucked in heaven. A new moon was a lucky omen. And cold, frosty weather was welcome, because this meant a mild spring and an absence of illness. On the other hand, mild weather on Christmas Eve was cause for concern because, according to the old Irish proverb, "A green Christmas makes a fat churchyard."

Regardless of the weather on the day before or on the day itself, the weeks preceding Christmas were spent in great preparation.

In the old days, the menfolk would be responsible for cleaning everything outside of the house and the women everything else inside of it. All of the structures would receive a fresh coat of whitewash, and linens, furniture, pots and pans would be washed, scoured, scrubbed or polished until they were spotless. It was up to the children to scout the countryside for appropriate decorations to be cut and brought home on Christmas Eve. Holly was especially prized because of its bright red berries and so were long tendrils of ivy and boughs of laurel which could be made into garlands. Mistletoe was rare in Ireland, but a child lucky enough to live near Limerick or in South Co. Wicklow, might have been able to add this ancient symbol of good fortune and fertility to the gathering of the greens.

http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/acalend/XmasthenNow.html

An aside - having red berried holly is not only seasonal but it indicates a nicer winter as little birds have alternative food supplies to the red berries -this winter red berried holly will be in short supply.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Putting rushes at the door for the Holy Family to rest on,on Christmas Eve , rushes are then considered to be blessed.

The tall Christmas candle is always lit by the youngest in the house.

People who die just before Christmas are said to have had "Cuireadh na Nollag"(The Christmas invitation) and are thought to go straight to heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Manach wrote: »
    Good thread here.
    Just to re-iterate some of the other posters, in Cork there is the tradition of the Wren Boys, Lighting the Christmas Candle, and spice beef (though the latter I've never had a taste for).

Not just Cork, in South Kerry the Wren and Lighting of Christmas candle is there as well

Popular Music is an indicator of a society and I did not know that the carol "Once in Royal Davids City " was Irish from the 1850's
    #
    Irish Christmas Songs

Various Irish Christmas Songs
    St Patrick introduced Christianity to the Irish Isles and Irish people embraced Catholicism with fervor. Christmas is celebrated with the greatest of religious and social reverence. Irish Christmas songs hark back to the middle ages when the Wexford Irish melody was first performed in the 13th century. It was the most famous of the Christmas carols sung by ancient Irish people and was borne from the cultural heritage of the Irish.
    This Irish song originated from a region in Ireland called Country Wexford, hence the name given to the Christmas melody. Irish Christmas songs of old include ‘Curoo, Curoo’ which is a holiday song of birds. This particular song was first sung in the 19th century. The Clancy Brothers popularized this song in recent times.
    Certain Irish Christmas songs that have survived to contemporary times have royal elements in them, such as ‘Once in Royal David’s City’. Cecil Alexander was a famous Irish singer and songwriter who composed and sung this song in the early 1850s. Henry Gantlet did the musical arrangement for this Christmas song.
    One of the Irish Christmas songs that has been translated into various languages and sung by non-Catholic sects is ‘The 12 Days of Christmas’. This song is a hit among children who enjoy singing them as Christmas carols. It commemorates the larger festival of Christmastide, which lasts for 12 days.

The hymn writer

Cecil Frances Alexander

cfalexander.gif

Hymn Writer
    1818-1895
    image of Cecil Frances Alexander Location of PlaqueBlue Plaque to Cecil Frances Alexander

Cecil Frances Humphreys was born in Dublin, but spent a good part of her later life in Londonderry and Strabane; her husband, William Alexander, himself a Derry man, was appointed Church of Ireland bishop of that city in 1867. He later became Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland.

Cecil Frances was a keen supporter of the Oxford Movement, and in 1848 published Hymns For Little Children, which include three of the most popular hymns in the English language: "Once in Royal David's City," "All Things Bright and Beautiful" and "There is a Green Hill Far Away." Charles Gounod, the composer of Faust, said that some of her lyrics "seemed to set themselves to music."

A further selection of her works - hymns, tracts and poems - was published a year after her death.

http://www.ulsterhistory.co.uk/cecilfrancesalexander.htm

And the pre Christian Sol Invictus tradition.

Happy Newgrange Solstice anyone ??

Ancient Irish Christmas Celebrations
    The worship of the natural world was the basis of ancient, pre-Christian faiths practiced by Irish Druids and important festivals revolved around the seasons. When Christian missionaries attempted the conversion of Northern Europeans into the Christian faith, the date of 25 December was chosen to mark the birth of Christ, or Christmas, as it corresponded with the winter solstice, a powerful pagan celebration of nature. The date also coincided with Sol Invictus, a Roman solar holiday on which solar deities were worshipped as the Sun advanced northward.
    Christmas is the focal celebration of the Irish. Irish Christmas songs have survived through the ages to present times and are delightful melodies energetically sung during the Christmas season. Christmas carols of Irish songs are a favorite among all denominations of Christians and certain songs have been translated to a variety of versions.

http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/articles/article/Ireland/Irish-Christmas-Songs/2641

So here are versions of the traditional Irish Song Curoo Curoo.

This by the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem

And this by the Wiggles

In the Battle of Kinsale 1601 - O'Neill (below)did not want to engage in a fixed battle but use skirmish an guerilla tactics whereas O' Donnell wanted a decisive fixed battle and this lead to the Flight of the Earls.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056123430

redtop.jpg

In 1914 the war was not over by Christmas
    August 4, 1914 saw the outbreak of World War 1. Four Months later the hopes of many were dashed, however, one flicker of light shone like a beacon - that of the Christmas day truce between the German and British armies. However, events in Ireland that Christmas could not have been more different. One week earlier, on 19 December, the radical nationalist newspaper The Irish Volunteer listed what it referred to as 'Acceptable Christmas Presents'. These included a list of everything that was required 'to equip the Soldier for the Field'. The newspaper was not talking about the soldier in Flanders but here in Ireland where the National Volunteers were expected to take up the defence of Irish shores the following January, under the command of the British war office.
    Writing on the issue on 22 December, Liam de Roiste a radical nationalist and diarist believed that the use of the volunteers by the British government was a clever move. De Roiste believed 'they (the government) probably hope, a German force will be up against national sentiment'. On 23 December, the Cork Examiner voiced the concern of many, which was how long the war would last? However, the editorial did not give any dates or time when it expected the war to end, but it did state that many of the guesses forwarded by experts have come and gone and there was still no sign of an end. Nevertheless, the editorial believed it would depend on the number of men and materials that were required to fight. In other words, the war would end when the warring nations could no longer put men and materials into the field.
    Another concern was the growing sense of loss that many people had experienced since the war began, a concern expressed in the Christmas Eve edition of the Freeman's Journal. It believed that Ireland should now be celebrating a Christmas that restored the national rights of the nation (several months earlier Ireland had received Royal Assent for Home Rule). However, this would not now be the case due to the 'awful effusion of blood, of suffering and death', that had visited many Irish homes that Christmas. And instead of a 'prayerful Christmas' the major issue that would concentrate the minds of many that Christmas was their loved ones that were fighting in the battlefields of Europe, dead, never to return.
    The same day, the Cork Examiner's editorial mirrored the editorial in the Freeman's Journal, with one marked difference. The Cork Examiner concerned itself with how the French and Belgian peoples would now celebrate Christmas with a war raging in their lands. As if, to emphasise that Christmas was in itself a season of peace and Christian ideals, the Cork Examiner suggested that, Christmas was now a 'time of blood-lust, of slaughter, of poverty and horror'. Another was the plight of the poor and those who supported them. This was something that also concerned Liam de Roiste. He felt that the war did not offer any greater opportunities to Ireland's growing numbers of unemployed and the poorly paid workers who lived in towns and cities, only a higher cost of living.
    Two days later, on 26 December, the Cork Examiner editorial could not hide its disgust at the dropping of a bomb on Dover on Christmas Eve. It suggested that instead of terrifying the people of Great Britain and Ireland with such attacks, the only thing Germany got out of it was a 'waste of good petrol'. Five days later, on 31 December, Liam de Roiste writing his last entry for that year, expressed his belief that the Great War was like the tower of Babel, when man and his pride tried to storm heaven itself, but were humbled by God - something that may happen to men again matter what achievement man - made. Strangely, though the tower of Babel that Liam de Roiste wrote about would continue for another four years before finally come to an end on November 1918 with the loss of ten million men and countless numbers wounded, maimed and shell shocked, something that no one expected or believed four years earlier on Christmas Day 1914.

http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org/exhibit/web/Display/article/190/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

A lost tradition for me as a Dublin kid was going into town with parents on Christmas Eve and being fed Fish and Chips in the old Woolworth's cafeteria - Christmas Eve used to be a day of 'fast and absence' so no meat at meals.

Now, I'm off to enjoy mince pies, and tea [tomorrow is even better with Christmas pudding] - you know, there were some things that the English got right. :D

Advertisement