Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Magna Carta gives rights to all or the rich few ?

Options
  • 09-12-2010 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

Magna Carta is sometimes refered to as the foundation of modern freedom and liberty. But I've wondered since it was forced onto to the King primarily by his wealthier and powerful subjects (the barons) in an attempt to protect their privileges.

But did it do much for ordinary people ?
    ( or serfs if you want to call them that )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Magna Carta is sometimes refered to as the foundation of modern freedom and liberty. But I've wondered since it was forced onto to the King primarily by his wealthier and powerful subjects (the barons) in an attempt to protect their privileges.

But did it do much for ordinary people ?
    ( or serfs if you want to call them that )

To specifically answer your question, Magna Carta was not initially concerned about serfs but was directed at 'freemen'. The quote is that it is about the rights of 'all free men of our realm'. This was later extended to bishops, abbots, archbishops, earls, barons.

Nor was it a unique document. There were many other similar laws or ordinances being issued across Europe at the time. The Ordinances of Leon in 1188 declared rights for 'all the realm, clerical and lay' and in Aragon there was Privigelio General of 1283 giving rights to 'nobles, knights and citizens and every man'. In Sicily Pope Urban IV laid down rights for citizens there.

Primarily these documents - and there are many more than those I listed - were primarily concerned with the aristocracy and freemen but they did extend rights to those beyond the monarchy.

Also these documents are cited by Canon Law historians to have been influenced by Canon Law which was peeling privilege away from the idea of an all powerful monarchy.

I'll try and find some references about the Canon Law connection.

One of the best historians on this period of Magna Carta is J.C. Holt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

How did the Magna Carta affect the position in Ireland.

Advertisement