Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWII Willys Jeep/Dodge WC52 - anyone own or got experience?

• 12-06-2013 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

I'm thinking of taking on either of these as a project....not a total novice, I have done some car restoration work but I would be a military vehicle novice for sure

I've never seen either locally in Ireland...just wondered if anyone could offer advice on the basics of taking one in from the UK/continent - like does it have to be VRT'd, whats the craic with making it road legal...am I better off looking for a driveable/untouched example needs attention or would it be feasible to put one together starting from a frame/engine onwards

I would eventually love to do the likes of D-Day commemorations/reenactment if good enough...

bit clueless but up for it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Mike brewer wheeler dealers did one

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

good start thanks,

must have missed that one...didn't know they did a jeep!

still would like to talk to someone with actual experience tho and based on this island, if there is anyone

thanks a mil will get studying in meantime!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I take it you have very deep pockets!

Best bet for getting an idea of what's available look at www.milweb.net and the HMVF forum. Also if you are on fb, keep an eye on MVCI, IMVG and UMVC.

There are a few WW2 Jeeps in Ireland but I know of nothing for sale at the moment. You are more likely to get something from the UK but even a project is big money, parts are very easy to obtain though. You can even build a new one if you wanted! Be careful you don't get sold a post war Hotchkiss M201 masquerading as a WW2 example, they look identical.

WC54 ambulances seem to be more common than the utility WC52s, probably because Norway had lots in storage for years.

WW2 stuff doesn't float my boat but I'd love a 50's Austin Champ :D

Importing shouldn't be a problem if you have all the paperwork and VRT will be €200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I've no experience of Willys (I'm a MUNGA man myself) , there's a tidy one on Leboncoin.fr at the moment if you fancy bringing one from France.
    I'd advise using someone who can speak/write French if you contact the seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

If you want to look at some vehicles and talk to re-enactors the IMVG show is on at Naas racecourse Saturday and Sunday 21/22 June.

Unfortunately I'm stuck in the UK working so won't be there :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

thanks a mil for the replies and advice!

gotcha on the Hotchkiss jeeps, for me provenance is key so I won't be going that direction or newbuildy type options either
    and yeah, the money is steep I agree....I'll be selling off all my VW hardware to fund hopefully a large portion of the costs. I am hoping a good jeep with provenance will hold it's value when the project is done but as long as long as the value doesn't completely disappear the pleasure of the job will outweigh the pitfalls I reckon

I have looked at the German hardware side of things as it's normally my preference in the regular car world but apart from the bikes (or a Panzer :) ) nothing really rings my bell, it has to be allied hardware for me...plus if I ever wanted to bring to Normandy for the 6th sometime down the line I'd prefer not to have a lukewarm reception

If I ever get going on this I'll put a page up and keep y'all informed

Advertisement