Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

You could be right, he has made a strong start, added to the fact that I have just backed Wilson at 6-5, McGill should be well in it . Also could have been 7-1, I saw the easy blue he missed. Best of 33 is a long slog

It seems to be a trait of his this tournament to get off to a flying start.

Even after the missed blue in the 7th frame he dusted himself down and made a great break in the next.

He certainly oozes calm.

The big question is can he stay calm the closer he gets to the prize.

At the moment the way he has performed in pressure situations so far this tournament the answer is a resounding yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

What was Ronnie saying to the ref just before Selby broke off in the this frame, the 5th? I tried turning up the volume but just missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

tinpib wrote: »
    What was Ronnie saying to the ref just before Selby broke off in the this frame, the 5th? I tried turning up the volume but just missed it.

Didn't hear his exact words but it was about all the kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The bang of the cue would suggest that Ronnie does care about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Fairly poor standard from both players so far

• Advertisement

Ronnie need to keep his cool, especially against Selby. If he does, he'll win this match I've no doubt. Kicks aren't helping in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

You'd miss Denis mentioning Vicky every 5 minutes all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Anyone have any info about pocket sizes down through the years? I was watching some snooker from the 80s on YouTube and the pockets looked massive. These pockets this year look a little bit more generous too compared to a few years ago.

No info, just observation but these pockets look to be playing a bit tighter this tournament, certainly compared to recent years when they were getting generous to a near ridiculous degree (number of centuries a bit lower this year than last which gives one indication).

Lot of mentions of table conditions which both players, particularly Selby, seem unhappy with. Table is playing heavy, in part because of humidity, which in turn could lead to pockets playing tighter, more kicks, uneven bounces etc. Wouldnt be surprised if we see the Selby glove at some stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

You'd miss Denis mentioning Vicky every 5 minutes all the same.

She was up in the balcony the other day but DT wasn't covering the match. Give him a chance there's plenty of time left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tinpib wrote: »

They replayed it on Eurosport with the sound up, basically Ronnie saying he's never experienced kicks like that in his life, and the ref saying it's the same balls as earlier and everything, and that it's a bit weird alright.

Presumably the humidity and the static caused by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

they changed out the balls

if Ronnie gets a sizable lead he wont give it up that easily i suspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,696 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ronnie playing very well..

It's funny, after Ronnie talking down his long potting so much yesterday, he's nailing them today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Game over

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Game over

Ronnie needs 13 more frames, there is a looooooooooong way to go.

Ronnie needs 13 more frames, there is a looooooooooong way to go.

Yeah, it's nuts how these long games can twist and turn literally overnight. That break, going away and sleeping on it, has seen plenty of players fall apart, and plenty more come back with renewed vigour.

Totally open still.

Ronnie seemed to rush that pot on the last red.

Selby doing well to be only 2 frames behind with the way he's playing.
    His highest break is 35 so far

Ronnie seemed to rush that pot on the last red.

He did.

edit: One think I notice about Ronnie over the years is he's a bit rash at times when that's the last attitude you need at pivotal moments.

Need to rewind but did ronnie assume red to middle didnt go? Very odd he'd miss something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

How come they don't have a fake audience laugh for Ken and Dennis's bad jokes?

Need to rewind but did ronnie assume red to middle didnt go? Very odd he'd miss something like that.

Not sure myself either, but I think he just didn't want to be bothered with it and went for the long one instead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Selby so close to a good snooker there.

Some good safety play in that frame

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The fact O'Sullivan excels at safety play seems to be a surprise to the commentators on the BBC. Baffling.

Selby the curmudgeon trying get inside Ronnie's head by chasing a hopeless cause there. Hopeful he'll get blown away by dynamic and exciting snooker, the antithesis of turgid safety battles.

Yeah, you get the sense that Selby just wanted to drag it out there.

Big chance now FOR Selby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

The commentating on Eurosport is shocking.

The commentating on Eurosport is shocking.

Joe Johnson: "It's in...it's out...it's on...it isn't on". First rate punditry.

Selby getting away with murder here. 5-3 would be an injustice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Joe Johnston is comical on Eurosport.

It was annoying my yesterday but today I’m just being entertained by his complete lack of an iota about what’s happening.

In the last 51 break he called Ronnie going into the pack off the green only for him to play for a clearly available red, quickly followed up by the declaration of a plant being on that he must be playing for only for Ronnie to go into the pack, and then telling us twice as the red was rolling for a miss at the green pocket that it was in.

Is actually entertaining how fawkng terrible he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

If Selby can nick this one he'll be delighted, going into tomorrow 5 - 3 down the way he's played is a serious result.

Bottler.

Selby the curmudgeon trying get inside Ronnie's head by chasing a hopeless cause there. Hopeful he'll get blown away by dynamic and exciting break building, the antithesis of turgid safety battles.

Is 3 snookers that big a hopeless cause, one good safety shot could make that up, he's struggling against a player who has made a better start, don't blame him for giving it a shot.

Ronnie does play those red pots from pink area to the baulk pockets a bit on the cavalier side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Have they increased the volume on the fake crowd noise this evening?

• Advertisement

Joe johnson.......sweet jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Selby will beat Ronnie. Poor standard of snooker and Ronnie simply too reckless. Selby safety play to win the day.

Enthralling session of snooker, enjoyed every shot of it. Ronnies only 5-3 up and I'm struggling to figure out why that is, kind of classic Selby i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Peter File wrote: »
    Have they increased the volume on the fake crowd noise this evening?

It sounds a bit better today with the one table. It was a bit muffled up to now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Selby should definitely be very relieved that he's only two frames behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Augme

Typical Selby really. He should be 6-2 or 7-1 down. That kind of session will play on Ronnie mind I feel and it will bring back all the worries he has facing Selby. He's like a a dog that just keeps snapping at your ankles and won't go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ronnie should have put that last frame away to go 6-2. Still played the better snooker but Selby won't make the same mistakes tomorrow (I would imagine.)

There's still a lot of twists and turns with this one, I'll be glued to every frame tomorrow.

weemcd wrote: »
    Ronnie should have put that last frame away to go 6-2. Still played the better snooker but Selby won't make the same mistakes tomorrow (I would imagine.)

There's still a lot of twists and turns with this one, I'll be glued to every frame tomorrow.

Did Selby make a break over 50?

Ronnie lost at least 2 frames he should have won.

Selby won't be that happy overnight I don't think, despite that manageable looking scoreline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Augme

AllForIt wrote: »
    Did Selby make a break over 50?

Ronnie lost at least 2 frames he should have won.

Selby won't be that happy overnight I don't think, despite that manageable looking scoreline.

He won't be happy but he will be very relieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Joe Johnston is comical on Eurosport.

It was annoying my yesterday but today I’m just being entertained by his complete lack of an iota about what’s happening.

In the last 51 break he called Ronnie going into the pack off the green only for him to play for a clearly available red, quickly followed up by the declaration of a plant being on that he must be playing for only for Ronnie to go into the pack, and then telling us twice as the red was rolling for a miss at the green pocket that it was in.

Is actually entertaining how fawkng terrible he is.

What I'm going to say about Joe is funny in a calamitous way, kind of tragi comedy. He played Steve Davis in 2 successive World finals, won the first and lost the second, I'm not quite sure of the time line, but some time around then, Joe was making a fitness video, and had a heart attack :) thankfully he survived to entertain for many more years, I always remember his white suits years ago, cool out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I can't help thinking Ronnie will be the more dissppointed player tonight. It kind of reminds me of the final between them when Ronnie was on top and looked like finishing the second session by leading 11-6 but Selby somehow managed to win the final frame and limit the damage to 7-10.

Ronnie said it in his book that it effected him badly and he didn't sleep well that night even with a three frame lead. And he only needed eight more frames to win back then. Now he still needs 12 more frames and it is eerily similiar to that last frame of that session all those years ago.

That last frame tonight was sickening as a Ronnie fan. I'm sure all posters that support him on here will agree so imagine how he feels himself? Especially as he revealed all about how Selby mentally derailed him in that final.

6-2 was looking like a good lead and i was sure he was going to do it. But Selby the torturer supreme found a few bamboozling snookers and has no doubt sewn a few seeds of doubt in Ronnie's vulnerable mind. I hope Ronnie has Steve Peters or some other wise men in his ear now because it's easy to see him grimacing with regret already in his dressing room.

I look forward with a little trepidation to tomorrow's session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Ronnie is hammering Selby 5-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

For the first time in many years I think he's almost unflappable in this tournament. He seems to be able to put the bad frames and the bad shots out of his mind almost immediately. There's been no pushing the boat out even after quite a few straightforward misses in the earlier rounds. I can only remember maybe one or two times where he didn't play the right shot or took on a pot with too high a risk/reward ratio. I think today's play by and large was good enough to get beat The Torturer if he can maintain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

What I'm going to say about Joe is funny in a calamitous way, kind of tragi comedy. He played Steve Davis in 2 successive World finals, won the first and lost the second, I'm not quite sure of the time line, but some time around then, Joe was making a fitness video, and had a heart attack :) thankfully he survived to entertain for many more years, I always remember his white suits years ago, cool out

At least he never went into coaching, because if a young player was taking advice from him they wouldn’t get far! His ability to read the table isn’t great to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Out of all the BBC/ITV and Eurosport snooker pundits and commentators i find most of them are good, many are entertaining and some are exceptional. The only two i don't particularly enjoy are Dennis Taylor and Joe Johnson. Dennis just talks a lot of childish nonsense, embarrasing people in the crowd like Patsy Fagan and Selbys wife every single time, waffling about golf and repeating the same stats and stories over and over. Joe Johnson just never shuts up. There is an art to sometimes staying silent and letting the viewer follow whats happening in peace. Clive Everton was a master at it. Most snooker fans are fairly knowdgeable but the likes of Joe Johnson sounds like he's commentating to a new audience of school kids who only tuned in for the first time. Usually if Dennis is on BBC you might be lucky with Johnson not on commentary on Eurosport at the same time but ive been caught with that most dreaded choice a few times over the course of this championship and once or twice the mute button came to the rescue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement