Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-07-2020, 22:24   #1
Adam9213
Registered User
 
Adam9213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 271
Reasons the British state would have orchestrated the Dublin Monaghan bombings

If the British state (at the highest level) was involved in the Dublin Monaghan bombings what do you think the reasoning was?

At the time of the bombings, Colin Wallace was a British Intelligence Corps officer at the British Army's Northern Ireland headquarters. Since his resignation in 1975, he has exposed scandals involving the security forces, including state collusion with loyalists. He gave evidence to the Barron Inquiry.

In an August 1975 letter to Tony Stoughton, chief of the British Army Information Service in Northern Ireland, Wallace writes:

There is good evidence the Dublin bombings in May last year were a reprisal for the Irish government's role in bringing about the [power sharing] Executive. According to one of Craig's people [Craig Smellie, the top MI6 officer in Northern Ireland], some of those involved – the Youngs, the Jacksons, Mulholland, Hanna, Kerr and McConnell – were working closely with [Special Branch] and [Military Intelligence] at that time. Craig's people believe the sectarian assassinations were designed to destroy Rees's attempts to negotiate a ceasefire, and the targets were identified for both sides by [Intelligence/Special Branch]. They also believe some very senior RUC officers were involved with this group. In short, it would appear that loyalist paramilitaries and [Intelligence/Special Branch] members have formed some sort of pseudo gangs in an attempt to fight a war of attrition against the PIRA by getting paramilitaries on both sides to kill each other and, at the same time prevent any future political initiative such as Sunningdale.

In a further letter of September 1975, Wallace wrote that MI5 was backing a group of UVF hardliners who opposed the UVF's move toward politics. He added:

I believe much of the violence generated during the latter part of last year was caused by some of the new [Intelligence] people deliberately stirring up the conflict. As you know, we have never been allowed to target the breakaway UVF, nor the UFF, during the past year. Yet they have killed more people than the IRA!

Colin Wallace was extremely high up in British intelligence and his claims are known to be highly credible, most of his claims were not made available until years and years after he made them, feel free to read up about him he also attempted to bring attention to the kincora boys scandal years before the RUC had ever even given it any attention.

This is only one person's word the evidence that the British state were responsible for these bombings would fill a history book.
Adam9213 is offline  
Advertisement
13-07-2020, 00:53   #2
riffmongous
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,508
What are the actual sources for any of this? Where was it written?
riffmongous is offline  
Thanks from:
13-07-2020, 01:00   #3
Adam9213
Registered User
 
Adam9213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
What are the actual sources for any of this? Where was it written?
It can't be found on any news sites of course as it's quite long, you'll have to download files on the Barron report it was submitted as evidence to that report.

I downloaded mine from the site CAIN a few months back and copied and pasted it from there, it's quite long it's an interesting read though you should read the whole thing.

Just find files on the "Barron report".
Adam9213 is offline  
13-07-2020, 01:26   #4
Adam9213
Registered User
 
Adam9213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
What are the actual sources for any of this? Where was it written?
Colin Wallace is extremely credible, he was at the top table of the intelligence services at the height of the troubles, he even tried to expose the Kincora boys scandal years before anything about it even appeared in a newspaper.

Just my opinion but likely the reason it was not acted upon is because "It quickly became clear that one man, William McGrath, the house-father of Kincora, who was heavily involved in the sexual abuse of young boys, was an intelligence source for MI5"

As well as being a paedophile, McGrath headed Tara, a shadowy loyalist paramilitary group, which provided a valuable way into both the loyalist underworld and unionist politics.

Also it's suspected that many high profile figures including lord Mountbatten would visit the Kincora home but none of that is fact.

A lot of the stuff Wallace claimed is not based on 100 percent fact but many of it had turned out to be true so I find him extremely credible.

Here's a link to his involvement in Kincora.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/kincora-the-man-who-wants-to-lift-the-lid-off-one-of-the-darkest-secrets-in-ulsters-past-30951854.html
Adam9213 is offline  
13-07-2020, 01:30   #5
Adam9213
Registered User
 
Adam9213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 271
As head of his intelligence unit whose job also included routine public relations work and placing disinformation stories in the press as part of a psychological warfare operation against the Provisional Irish Republican Army
Adam9213 is offline  
Advertisement
13-07-2020, 22:04   #6
paul71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,752
There is a reason the history forum died.
paul71 is offline  
13-07-2020, 22:13   #7
Adam9213
Registered User
 
Adam9213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul71 View Post
There is a reason the history forum died.
And
Adam9213 is offline  
13-07-2020, 22:15   #8
paul71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,752
Sein Fein Ultras posting tripe.
paul71 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
13-07-2020, 22:16   #9
LorenzoB
Registered User
 
LorenzoB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,987
A retired policeman in dublin told me he believed it was to influence the general election upcoming
LorenzoB is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-07-2020, 22:19   #10
Adam9213
Registered User
 
Adam9213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul71 View Post
Sein Fein Ultras posting tripe.
What about this is tripe? Is this the rubbish you write when you don't like what you hear?
Adam9213 is offline  
13-07-2020, 22:23   #11
Adam9213
Registered User
 
Adam9213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoB View Post
A retired policeman in dublin told me he believed it was to influence the general election upcoming
The guards actually called off the investigation after just a few months which was quite bizarre, it was alleged in the Barron report that the Fine Gael/Labour government caused or allowed the Garda investigation to end prematurely, for fear that the findings would play into the hands of republicans.
Adam9213 is offline  
14-07-2020, 17:51   #12
cj maxx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,359
I read in a book,I don't remember the name, that the person who actually planted the bomb was a Protestant man from mid-monagh aligned to the glenane ?gang. It seems feasible that British army/ intelligence was involved, as they were in so many of that fangs crimes .
cj maxx is offline  
14-07-2020, 18:22   #13
Del.Monte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj maxx View Post
I read in a book,I don't remember the name, that the person who actually planted the bomb was a Protestant man from mid-monagh aligned to the glenane ?gang. It seems feasible that British army/ intelligence was involved, as they were in so many of that fangs crimes .



Del.Monte is offline  
14-07-2020, 20:27   #14
paul71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam9213 View Post
What about this is tripe? Is this the rubbish you write when you don't like what you hear?
You are over in the politics forming spouting excuses for the murder of 2 English schoolboys. Yes there are things I choose not to listen to because they are beneath contempt.
paul71 is offline  
14-07-2020, 20:37   #15
Adam9213
Registered User
 
Adam9213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul71 View Post
You are over in the politics forming spouting excuses for the murder of 2 English schoolboys. Yes there are things I choose not to listen to because they are beneath contempt.
You're over there using it as some sort of excuse to prove your point spouting nonsense because you don't know what to say.

You were asking why the IRA thought killing these boys would help a united Ireland I merely just gave you your answer that they were exploding hundreds of bombs on economic targets every year almost all of which had no deaths but this particular bombing went wrong.

Just answering your question it's not my fault if you don't like the answer.

Last edited by Adam9213; 14-07-2020 at 20:40.
Adam9213 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet