Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long does paint last?

• 28-02-2021 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭

My shed is full of external and internal paint containers? Some of them are half full. How long does paint last before it's unusable?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

My shed is full of external and internal paint containers? Some of them are half full. How long does paint last before it's unusable?

General rule of thumb would be smell it, if it smells bad, get rid of, if it smells ok then use away. Paint should last a couple of years, even if previously opened and used some already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

General rule of thumb would be smell it, if it smells bad, get rid of, if it smells ok then use away. Paint should last a couple of years, even if previously opened and used some already

This paint is there for 10 years. Opened previously. I haven't smelled it but I will dispose of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

This paint is there for 10 years. Opened previously. I haven't smelled it but I will dispose of it.

Ya 10 years is too long. Even unopened paint will likely be bad after 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I put a load of work into a ceiling there recently (stripping paint, filling sanding etc) and painted after with a primer from my garage which looked and smelled absolutely fine.

Got an uneven, bumpy, orange peel effect and think its starting to crack now too - Its so demoralising!

I will never keep paint any length of time again and am 1000% throwing out all the tins I've been hoarding over the last while......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

where do you dispose of paint? Can you throw them in the general waste bin or have to bring them to recycling facility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Remember that paint is classified as a hazardous and polluting substance. Unwanted paints should be disposed of responsibly - it's usually possible to bring them to a local recycle centre. They should absolutely not be thrown in the general waste bin.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

spakman wrote: »
    where do you dispose of paint? Can you throw them in the general waste bin or have to bring them to recycling facility?

Recycling centres should take them.

awec wrote: »
    Recycling centres should take them.

I dropped them to a recycle centre today. 2.50 a can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That's one of the non joys of recycling in this country. Different recycle providers in different areas have different policies about what they take and different charges that they apply. Here in Wicklow, you would not have to pay to dispose of paint.

There should be a national policy of providing the same standard of service and range of options throughout the country, but unfortunately recycling is treated as a national requirement that is managed (or mis-managed) locally.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm surprised you had to pay too, I use the Bray recycling centre and it's all free there.

IMO things like this should always be free to dispose of responsibly to remove any incentive to do the wrong thing.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I'm surprised you had to pay too, I use the Bray recycling centre and it's all free there.

IMO things like this should always be free to dispose of responsibly to remove any incentive to do the wrong thing.

It might have been because there was some old paint in the cans. It was a recycling centre in Galway.

Advertisement