Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What musical instrument would you love to play?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

How about the tambourine..surely that's a sinch?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

frosty123 wrote: »
    If you have rhythm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Usually a job for the lead or backing singer. You won't see too many bands hiring a tambourinist :D

The people who want to learn bass guitar would get a gig very easily, bands always seem to be looking for a bassist

Usually a job for the lead or backing singer. You won't see too many bands hiring a tambourinist :D

The people who want to learn bass guitar would get a gig very easily, bands always seem to be looking for a bassist

I play bass and guitar and playing bass in a band Is hard as it’s precise , guitar is more expressive

The Hendrix of the tambourine is Liam Gallagher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I play bass and guitar and playing bass in a band Is hard as it’s precise , guitar is more expressive
    And I suppose too if you are playing rock guitar your effects and overdrive can cover a multitude of sins whereas the bassist is naked so to speak ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Depends on what bands you hang out with! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Hendrix of the tambourine is Liam Gallagher

only thing he's good at..that and "actin" hard

fryup wrote: »
    only thing he's good at..that and "actin" hard

he caught jonathan ross a nice one "when are you guys getting back together? i've never seen oasis....bla bla"

"we were only together 20 f**ing years jonathan, it's your own fault"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was a very good clarinet player and played in an orchestra but the thing about that instrument... you literally have to practice, practice, practice the fûck out of it to just ‘maintain’ your proficiency, never mind improving. A minimum of one hour to ninety minutes a day.... it’s a difficult instrument to be able to play well and it’s very easy for a good proficient player to fuûck up. You can’t hide mistakes like a guitar player....It’s a very unforgiving instrument if you are not playing well it sounds horrible .. despite become a really good player, playing solos at concerts I got bored of it eventually and when work got too busy ie. going full time I couldn’t commit to the orchestra and it’s sitting in its box ever since... I don’t miss it...

I decided to self teach myself guitar which I’m decent at now. Best advice for anyone learning that instrument is get yourself a decent guitar to start... I had a piece of shît Samick starting off but when I upgraded to Ibanez Artwood things really fell into place... incredible sound, build quality and the action is perfect..beautiful looking instrument too..but I just love the sound.

I tried to learn the piano but despite paying a great teacher for a year, no, just couldn’t get my head around it, I’ve a serious amount of respect for anybody who can master that instrument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

mandolin.Love the sound.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd love to learn to play lots of instruments, unfortunately my musical talents are limited to the doorbell...

I'ld love to be able to play the harp, the cello, the glockenspiel and the kalimba, one of these hang drums. A friend of mine from Senegal plays the kora, a harp-lute. It has such a gorgeous sound... Any and all of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Jack Cooley is yer man for Irish trad anyway accompanying his brother Joe. I play tambourine or should I say tambodhran and the bodhran at sessions myself.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement