Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angle grinder disc size

Options
  • 25-02-2021 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi
    Can you use a 4 and a half inch disc on a grinder that takes 9" discs with a disc bore size of 22.2mm???
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I don't know the answer. But, I have a 4 1/2" grinder and a 9" one. Frankly? It would never even cross my mind to put a disc made for the little one into that Beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Hi
    Can you use a 4 and a half inch disc on a grinder that takes 9" discs with a disc bore size of 22.2mm???
    Thanks

Strange question lad. If it was the other way around - can I use what's left of a 9" disc on a 41/2" grinder? - I'd understand.

Why would you want to put a 41/2" disc on a 9" grinder?

To clarify:
    100mm (4") disc 16mm bore
    115/125/180/230mm (4.5"/5"/7"/9") all 22mm bore

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Strange question lad. If it was the other way around - can I use what's left of a 9" disc on a 41/2" grinder? - I'd understand.

Why would you want to put a 41/2" disc on a 9" grinder?

To clarify:
    100mm (4") disc 16mm bore
    115/125/180/230mm (4.5"/5"/7"/9") all 22mm bore
    Hi. I have a kutzall 115mm grinding dish and the chap said it would work best with power of a 5" or 9" grinder

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Hi. I have a kutzall 115mm grinding dish and the chap said it would work best with power of a 5" or 9" grinder

I keep my good worn 9 inch disc and put them on my 4.5 inch grinder

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭steviebg

Hi
    Thanks

9 inch discs shouldn't be used on 4 inch grinders, and vice versa. They have different speed ratings and cann easily shatter and do you a bit of damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Don't attempt to use on the machine they're not made for!!!
    Can't stress it enough.
    9" grinder runs at 6500 rpm.
    4" runs at 13500rpm.

Mugser wrote: »
    Don't attempt to use on the machine they're not made for!!!
    Can't stress it enough.
    9" grinder runs at 6500 rpm.
    4" runs at 13500rpm.

But when the 9" disc gets down to 4" happy days, put it on the small grinder.

Recycling at it best :cool:

SCOL wrote: »
    But when the 9" disc gets down to 4" happy days, put it on the small grinder.

Recycling at it best :cool:

If you end up in your local A&E with a bit of shattered grinding disk stuck in your neck, for the sake of a few euro 4" grinder disk, then just remember, you were warned!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mugser wrote: »
    If you end up in your local A&E with a bit of shattered grinding disk stuck in your neck, for the sake of a few euro 4" grinder disk, then just remember, you were warned!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well I'm doing it for the last 25 years, I also have a dremel tool and cut disk up to use on it. :eek:

SCOL wrote: »
    Well I'm doing it for the last 25 years, I also have a dremel tool and cut disk up to use on it. :eek:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Ok so, for anyone who stumbles across this thread as a result of a google search, take it from a qualified tradesman with 30yrs on the job;

DO NOT USE A WORN DOWN DISK FROM A 9" GRINDER ON A 4" GRINDER!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

Any idea if you can get Kutzall grinding dishes in Ireland???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I went into a popular DIY shop on Baggot St. Dublin and asked the young lad working there for a 4" diamond cutting disk, he looks behind the counter through all the disks and says "Sorry, I only have round ones".

I buy them on Amazon now....

Kutzall have a store on there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Kutzall/page/FE806F7A-4CF8-4E9D-AFCA-A3A689513AD7?ref_=ast_bln

Advertisement