Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building new House - any cost saving tips??

Options
  • 24-02-2021 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I am in the early stages of planning to build a new story and a half style house. Builder has suggested from the drawings that overall it will prob cost approx 250k. I am hoping to have an air to water with underfloor heating system.

Just wondering for anyone who has been through the self build option - any tips/recommendations on where cost savings can be made.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi welcome to the forum. There are years and years of posts/threads from people who have self-built their homes. Best to use the search function / keyword search. You’ll find info on just about any type of building project.

As regards cost saving tips. Do a passive house course, and try to research this philosophy - it will in theory give you an understanding of the ‘fabric first approach’, that will if followed, cut your heating energy bills once you’re in the house. Also whatever your house size/floor area is, you can shave 5% of it (sometimes a lot more). Design design design, when you’re on site, all decisions should be made.. next to impossible, but if you want to save money, that’s the way to do it..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

start with this
    https://www.gilleducation.ie/secondary-construction-studies/secondary-construction-studies/construction-technology

Best 30 lids you will spend.

Whats the breakdown of the 250k, if its house only, it might get you 100 sq m

I agree with BF re a grounding in PH, however following it does not mean you need to pay to get the house PH certified.
    Your builder need to buy in to the PH idea day one and many builders, especially those with casual/subbi labour, will not commit to PH level airtightness and thermal bridging levels so check that out first.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Some decisions to be made as you progress and will be a factor on your spend.

- natural or man made slates

- natural stone or stick on cladding

- if you have any zinc finishes, plx or pvc options available

- flooring and tiling finishes. Can do this really budget friendly or can spend lots

- concrete or wood stairs

- hollow core or timber for first floor

- pvc or aluclad windows

These decisions depending on which way you go on each could amount to a significant portion of your budget.

However, I'd advise to look at your house as a 30-50 year investment. What may seem like a cheaper option now may cost you more in the long run so put money into the long term items where you can. Interiors and finishes can be changed over time.

Finally invest in insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭trafficlight

Thanks for the info... appreciate it. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Excel is your friend
    Don't forget the VAT!
    How are your stress levels and do you have good medical insurance?!!
    Painting parties and lots of patience
    Don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Make all rooms divisible by 600x600 and have no curves. The reason for this is all sheet material comes in 2400mm x 1200mm sheets.

So if you make a room 4.8 x 4.8m you fit exactly 8 sheets of insulation on the ground, 8 sheets of plasterboard on the ceiling and then 8 sheets of OSB/PLY on the first floor/attic above that room and absolutely no waste and removes cutting from the labour cost so you also save time which saves money.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

There's three good ways to save cost.

1. Tender to as many local builders as possible (recommended builders, try avoid cowboys)
    2. DYI or getting help from professional/trades friends.
    3. Reduce specification (cheaper items). Unfortunately the biggest money savers are making your house less aesthetically pleasing.

Cheaper internal doors & ironmongery (Denta or similar)
    Cheaper Sanitary Ware (shop around)
    Cheaper Kitchen is a big one. A Kitchen could cost 5k or 30k.
    Choose roof tiles vs slates
    Choose cheaper floor & wall tiles. Tiles can be as cheap as €15/m2 or €50/m2.
    PVC windows & doors over Aluminum or Aluclad.
    Basic stairs design
    Basic or no Wardrobes (can also be added later).
    No upstairs flooring in the bedrooms (just varnish the T&G flooring).
    No landscaping. You can also do these in a few years.
    Gravel drive over tarmac

Furniture (Ikea or similar)

For me personally I'd chose really good insulation (walls & flooring), really good windows & doors and a really good heating system. Everything else above can be done or replaced later without much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭trafficlight

thanks - appreciate the tips and advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

dont cut corners on things that are perminant.
    dont skimp on windows and doors or insulation etc. they are very hard and expensive to replace

save money by living without a finished sitting room or box room or the 3rd bathroom. these can be added later
    put in laminate instead of real wood floors
    cheap furniture is grand to start out but replace them with good stuff as you move forward
    buy a good kitchen

saving money isnt about spending less . allowing for future changes while you build can save a lot in the long run.
    if you are planning to put rooms in the attic then design with that in mind , frame out for the stairs but cover it off so you are not ripping everything apart to do it later.
    i know a guy who designed his house so he could build on in the future. he even have the lintels in for the door so all he had to do is knock through, he had heating pipes in and ducts for wires. simple thing but saved ripping the whole place apart later

dont bother with painting parties unless you have a lot of profetional or very good painters in your life . i have seen the results of this and its shocking. loads of wasted paint, loads of paint trays , terrible finish, no prep work done etc. diy it or pay for it. way cheaper in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

lemonkey wrote: »
    There's three good ways to save cost.

1. Tender to as many local builders as possible (recommended builders, try avoid cowboys)
    2. DYI or getting help from professional/trades friends.
    3. Reduce specification (cheaper items). Unfortunately the biggest money savers are making your house less aesthetically pleasing.

Cheaper internal doors & ironmongery (Denta or similar)
    Cheaper Sanitary Ware (shop around)
    Cheaper Kitchen is a big one. A Kitchen could cost 5k or 30k.
    Choose roof tiles vs slates
    Choose cheaper floor & wall tiles. Tiles can be as cheap as €15/m2 or €50/m2.
    PVC windows & doors over Aluminum or Aluclad.
    Basic stairs design
    Basic or no Wardrobes (can also be added later).
    No upstairs flooring in the bedrooms (just varnish the T&G flooring).
    No landscaping. You can also do these in a few years.
    Gravel drive over tarmac

Furniture (Ikea or similar)

For me personally I'd chose really good insulation (walls & flooring), really good windows & doors and a really good heating system. Everything else above can be done or replaced later without much hassle.
    This is the way most irish people could afford to build a house before the Celtic tiger.
    Build the shell and basic spec.
    Then renovate each room as you go when they had savings.
    My wife's parents didn't have a kitchen when they moved into their house!
    I had a family member who was in their new home 8 years before they got around to even flooring their 'good' front room and clearing out all the junk which had built up in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

How many builders did you get to price the house by the way? And how many square foot is the house?

You should also ask for a cost breakdown and you'll see what elements look expensive and you could do value engineering then.

Advertisement