Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is causing this ticking noise from pipes in hot press

Options
  • 24-02-2021 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Hi

Some irritating ticking sounds are coming from the pipes in my hot press and my head of my head is backed into the wall on the other side it's very distracting so need to get it sorted. The particularly annoying one is at 8 seconds in and the end again. Can someone with knowledge advise and if it's an easy/hard fix that I might someone to look at? Much appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LdwaRFoBta3uTMX87

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

henke wrote: »
    Hi

Some irritating ticking sounds are coming from the pipes in my hot press and my head of my head is backed into the wall on the other side it's very distracting so need to get it sorted. The particularly annoying one is at 8 seconds in and the end again. Can someone with knowledge advise and if it's an easy/hard fix that I might someone to look at? Much appreciated.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/UhCcLFe

Link not working
    Possibly pipes expanding/contracting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

Apologies. Updated with a different link which should hopefully work.

Yeah that is my feeling alright from Googling although hard to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. It doesn't look like any pipe is tight against timber unless it's where it's going in the ceiling but even then there is a little space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

henke wrote: »
    Apologies. Updated with a different link which should hopefully work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LdwaRFoBta3uTMX87

Yeah that is my feeling alright from Googling although hard to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. It doesn't look like any pipe is tight against timber unless it's where it's going in the ceiling but even then there is a little space.

Is your immersion switched on whilst this is happening. Sometimes the element is up against the cylinder coil causing a slight rattle

meercat wrote: »
    Is your immersion switched on whilst this is happening. Sometimes the element is up against the cylinder coil causing a slight rattle

No haven't used immersion since probably last summer as the heating provides sufficient hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've had similar issues, drives me demented. I think I traced it down to a particular radiator and switched it off and that seemed to have resolved it, but the sound radiates (excuse the pun) throughout the floor and I initially thought it originated from the hotpress.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    I've had similar issues, drives me demented. I think I traced it down to a particular radiator and switched it off and that seemed to have resolved it, but the sound radiates (excuse the pun) throughout the floor and I initially thought it originated from the hotpress.

Interesting. Do you know what the fault of the radiator was or did you just leave it off permanently since?

I left it off for months only for me to turn it back on again last month, it was in the en-suite so my wife got fed up with it being cold so I gave in. Because it was a relatively minor radiator I could get away without getting it looked at to make sure that was the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Im no plumber, but if you find the loosest pipes try installing rubber lined steel clips. Might solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Had this in my hot press too. Turned out it was down to pipes that were touching some wooden battens on the side wall that the shelves were sitting on, and also some of the shelf slats were touching the pipes too.

If it's a radiator causing the noise, it is often down to the little u-shaped plastic inserts that sit between the radiator itself and the bracket. If they're old, the plastic breaks down and crumbles and the radiator is then sitting directly on the metal bracket. When the radiator expands and contracts it doesn't run smoothly on the plastic but rubs against the metal. Easily solved, you can buy packs of replacement plastic inserts, just remove the radiator, remove the old cruddy inserts, put new ones in and replace the radiator, job done.

Something like this, although I think you should be able to get them here in a bricks and mortar shop too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-OF-12-RADIATOR-BRACKET-ANTI-VIBRATION-PLASTIC-INSERTS-/171216627429

Cheers Alun, I never knew such a thing existed.

I used to go around smacking them or pushing/pull them on their brackets, which occasionally, but momentarily, would resolve it. I had then put it down to an issue with the valves.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Had this in my hot press too. Turned out it was down to pipes that were touching some wooden battens on the side wall that the shelves were sitting on, and also some of the shelf slats were touching the pipes too.

If it's a radiator causing the noise, it is often down to the little u-shaped plastic inserts that sit between the radiator itself and the bracket. If they're old, the plastic breaks down and crumbles and the radiator is then sitting directly on the metal bracket. When the radiator expands and contracts it doesn't run smoothly on the plastic but rubs against the metal. Easily solved, you can buy packs of replacement plastic inserts, just remove the radiator, remove the old cruddy inserts, put new ones in and replace the radiator, job done.

Something like this, although I think you should be able to get them here in a bricks and mortar shop too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-OF-12-RADIATOR-BRACKET-ANTI-VIBRATION-PLASTIC-INSERTS-/171216627429

Thanks. My feeling is its not the radiator but seems to be coming from the hot press. I will inspect the battens again and see. Could it also be where the pipe travels through the ceiling or above? Although it looks like the opening isn't that tight on the pipe.

Alun wrote: »

Upon further investigation it might be an issue like this but any solution if your pipe is in behind the hot water cylinder and very hard to get near the timber. Also, it may be where the same pipe is going under the floor board. I think I have narrowed it to this area.

Advertisement