Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eco friendly coffee cups

• 07-11-2020 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Do shops allow you to use your own eco friendly coffee cups for a take away tea/coffee instead of using their own disposable cups?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

That's a very interesting question indeed, and I suppose... to answer it - we must first look at how eco-friendly coffee cups came to be. The exact origins of the eco-friendly cup seem to be unknown, therefore the inventor of the handy disposable beverage holder may never be known, although there is evidence that they were used as far back as Imperial China. What is known is that around the beginning of the 1900’s, eco-friendly cups gained popularity when people began to realise that sharing the same tin or ladle, to drink from water barrels, also meant sharing germs.

In 1907, a Boston lawyer named Lawrence Luellen, developed the “Health Kup” (which later became known as the Dixie Cup in 1919). Lawrence did this to help improve public health and hygiene due to the concerns of shared-use cups. But Lawrence didn’t perform this mammoth task alone. He worked for the American Water Supply Company, whose founder, Hugh Moore, developed a water-vending machine with disposable cups and together Lawrence and Hugh embarked on an advertising campaign to educate the public and market the machine.

During the great American flu epidemic of 1918 eco-friendly cups rapidly grew in popularity as a way of avoiding infection. In the century since, the eco-friendly cup has evolved from simply a health solution to an everyday convenience object. Each day, millions of eco-friendly cups are used so that people can take their drinks with them whilst they go, something that is necessary in today’s busy world. Another great use of the eco-friendly cup is at large events, for example festivals and concerts due to the fact that they can just be recycled at the end of the day instead of 1000’s of cups having to be washed. Now... with this mind do shops indeed allow you to use your own eco friendly coffee cups for a take away tea/coffee instead of using their own disposable cups?

Well... to find out if shops allow you to use your own eco-friendly coffee cups, for a take away tea/coffee - instead of using their own disposable cups, we must ask the shop in question... - one would assume it is perfectly fine to do so, but in order to remove all doubt - asking the shop in question will be the most reliable way to find out whether you can indeed - commendably - use your own eco-friendly coffee cups, for a take away tea/coffee - instead of using their own disposable cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Make your own coffee and use your own cups. Problem solved.

That's a very interesting question indeed, and I suppose... to answer it - we must first look at how eco-friendly coffee cups came to be. The exact origins of the eco-friendly cup seem to be unknown, therefore the inventor of the handy disposable beverage holder may never be known, although there is evidence that they were used as far back as Imperial China. What is known is that around the beginning of the 1900’s, eco-friendly cups gained popularity when people began to realise that sharing the same tin or ladle, to drink from water barrels, also meant sharing germs.

In 1907, a Boston lawyer named Lawrence Luellen, developed the “Health Kup” (which later became known as the Dixie Cup in 1919). Lawrence did this to help improve public health and hygiene due to the concerns of shared-use cups. But Lawrence didn’t perform this mammoth task alone. He worked for the American Water Supply Company, whose founder, Hugh Moore, developed a water-vending machine with disposable cups and together Lawrence and Hugh embarked on an advertising campaign to educate the public and market the machine.

During the great American flu epidemic of 1918 eco-friendly cups rapidly grew in popularity as a way of avoiding infection. In the century since, the eco-friendly cup has evolved from simply a health solution to an everyday convenience object. Each day, millions of eco-friendly cups are used so that people can take their drinks with them whilst they go, something that is necessary in today’s busy world. Another great use of the eco-friendly cup is at large events, for example festivals and concerts due to the fact that they can just be recycled at the end of the day instead of 1000’s of cups having to be washed. Now... with this mind do shops indeed allow you to use your own eco friendly coffee cups for a take away tea/coffee instead of using their own disposable cups?

Well... to find out if shops allow you to use your own eco-friendly coffee cups, for a take away tea/coffee - instead of using their own disposable cups, we must ask the shop in question... - one would assume it is perfectly fine to do so, but in order to remove all doubt - asking the shop in question will be the most reliable way to find out whether you can indeed - commendably - use your own eco-friendly coffee cups, for a take away tea/coffee - instead of using their own disposable cups.

You know... I always feel bad after a little while, for posting something hilarious (in my head) - but a little insincere, so I'm sorry OP. I would say most shops do not mind at all, it's probably best to ask though! I don't think they would like to see you coming with one of these for example!!!

b4a5266220afdb1cfaf614f483fbcd28.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You know... I always feel bad after a little while, for posting something hilarious (in my head) - but a little insincere, so I'm sorry OP. I would say most shops do not mind at all, it's probably best to ask though! I don't think they would like to see you coming with one of these for example!!!

Maybe they would. You'd be paying dear to have that one filled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭gipi

owlbethere wrote: »
    Hello,

Do shops allow you to use your own eco friendly coffee cups for a take away tea/coffee instead of using their own disposable cups?

Many did, before Covid - they won't touch them now.....
    Starbucks wouldn't even serve sit-in coffee in china mugs (when we were allowed to sit-in), had to be in takeaway disposables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

It could be just a normal-sized cup in a little baby's hand.
    Perspective!

Maybe they would. You'd be paying dear to have that one filled.
    Can you imagine lugging this one in though - totally straight faced, a little... normal-closed-mouth-how-are-you-doing-we're-all-in-this-together type smile to anyone who looks at you funny - and proceeding to fill it up, go up and pay - and drag it off out into the world, with not a bother on you? I'm just asking you to imagine it by the way!! You don't have to answer that! :) !

confident-young-businessman-shirt-posing-giant-cup-coffee-portrait-handsome-isolated-white-background-studio-149002552.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It’s so woke eco friendly cups

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's a standard container with graduations so they'd know how much it takes.

Or they could weigh them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That's a standard container with graduations so they'd know how much it takes.

Or they could weigh them.

Not a fan of buckets of coffee tbh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Make your own coffee and use your own cups. Problem solved.

The fashion is to dash around like a Manhattannite, branded cup in hand, pretending you don't have time for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭blackbox

The cup is only part of the problem. If you're really concerned about the environment, don't consume coffee (unless you live where it grows locally).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

blackbox wrote: »
    The cup is only part of the problem. If you're really concerned about the environment, don't consume coffee (unless you live where it grows locally).

See, this is why I just don't bother... Recycling plastic? Most of it goes into landfill anyway. I heard the other day that hill walkers were littering the countryside throwing away banana skins and orange peel. Apparently it takes the skin of an orange the same amount of time to biodegrade as a cigarette butt...
    Don't feel so guilty flicking away my cigarette butts now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

We need a coffe cup tax, their a blight on the landscape. If only we had a political party in government who would prioritise the environment.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Channelling some real Dom Jolly circa 99/2000 vibes in this thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

See, this is why I just don't bother... Recycling plastic? Most of it goes into landfill anyway. I heard the other day that hill walkers were littering the countryside throwing away banana skins and orange peel. Apparently it takes the skin of an orange the same amount of time to biodegrade as a cigarette butt...
    Don't feel so guilty flicking away my cigarette butts now

I heard it takes the same amount of time for Chinese takeaway containers and general household waste the same amount of time to degrade as it does cigarette ends.

Don't feel so bad fly tipping all my rubbish now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was in a coffee shop at the weekend where a punter at the counter was loudly exclaiming his joy at being charged 30 cent less for his coffee because he brought his own cup.

Mad things is, I get charged the full whack and some quare looks when I bring my own syringes to the doctor or dentist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Advertisement