Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Removing a radiator

Options
  • 27-02-2021 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Hello folks, I have previously re-tiled the bathroom floor back home and am moving onto re-tiling the walls now. I will need to remove the radiator from the wall. I have no problem with the mechanics of removing the radiator itself and putting stoppers on as have done plenty of small plumbing jobs before. I know what to expect

However, I'm wondering if after removing the radiator will water need to be replenished to the central heating system through the boiler? Also can the heating be used ok with the radiator off? It is oil fired central heating with a Grant boiler (can provide the exact model if that's relevant).

Many thanks in advance for all constructive input and apologies if this question has being asked previously on the forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

In theory, you can remove the rad without draining down the system by just closing the valves on either side and breaking the connection between the radiator and the valve. You have to put something under the connection to collect the full contents of the radiator. I would prefer to drain down the fully system before I take off the radiator. If both valves are holding then you don't need to install blanks. If your system is vented (with a tank in the attic) then the system will automatically refill and make up for any volume loss. If it's a sealed system and if the autofill valve is open the the same will apply. If it's a sealed system with the autofill valve closed then you'll have to open it to top. Remember to add corrosion inhibitor if you drain down the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭karlitob

youtheman wrote: »
    In theory, you can remove the rad without draining down the system by just closing the valves on either side and breaking the connection between the radiator and the valve. You have to put something under the connection to collect the full contents of the radiator. I would prefer to drain down the fully system before I take off the radiator. If both valves are holding then you don't need to install blanks. If your system is vented (with a tank in the attic) then the system will automatically refill and make up for any volume loss. If it's a sealed system and if the autofill valve is open the the same will apply. If it's a sealed system with the autofill valve closed then you'll have to open it to top. Remember to add corrosion inhibitor if you drain down the system.

Good info here. I’m thinking about changing the type and position of my radiators in a few rooms. I’ve a sealed system (at least I think i do) and a flexicom 18k boiler. Is it straightforward enough to drain the system? I’ve no drain cock on the lowest rad. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭karlitob

karlitob wrote: »
    Good info here. I’m thinking about changing the type and position of my radiators in a few rooms. I’ve a sealed system (at least I think i do) and a flexicom 18k boiler. Is it straightforward enough to drain the system? I’ve no drain cock on the lowest rad. Thanks in advance.

Any advice on this? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

You'll probably need to repressurize after you out the new radiator back on.

Advertisement