Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil boiler replacement

Options
  • 26-02-2021 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

How long is a piece of string question but looking for ballpark figure.

Current oil fired boiler is located under stairs. Want to move outside literally to opposite side of wall it’s currently located. New oil line required.

Standard 3 bed semi, 10 radiators. I’ll do the wiring. Been quoted 4K for grant boiler. Does that seem ok?

I’ve no idea what spec of boiler that is or what size I need,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

sounds a bit excessive based on a grant vortex module 15/26 new circulating pump and remote acting firevalve

but i dont know exactly whats involved can you not pick up the existing oil line outside

3k i would have expected nearer the mark

worth getting a few more quotes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

jimf wrote: »
    sounds a bit excessive based on a grant vortex module 15/26 new circulating pump and remote acting firevalve

but i dont know exactly whats involved can you not pick up the existing oil line outside

3k i would have expected nearer the mark

worth getting a few more quotes
    New tank?
    Power flush?
    Hard to know with such little detail.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Wearb wrote: »
    New tank?
    Power flush?
    Hard to know with such little detail.

Tank is fine no need to replace. I suspect a system flush as it will be drained anyway.

Appreciate it’s difficult just wanted to get ballpark idea. I’ll grab a few more quotes either way,

That was actually the cash price, the quote was 4.8k plus vat

Tank is fine no need to replace. I suspect a system flush as it will be drained anyway.

Appreciate it’s difficult just wanted to get ballpark idea. I’ll grab a few more quotes either way,

That was actually the cash price, the quote was 4.8k plus vat

oh jesus tis worse its getting

jimf wrote: »
    oh jesus tis worse its getting

Lol, I thought so!

I’ll get a few more quotes so. What’s the general size I should be looking at?

• Advertisement

Lol, I thought so!

I’ll get a few more quotes so. What’s the general size I should be looking at?

you dont want to oversize

i would think a grant vortex 15/26 should be ideal for your requirements

you say you are doing the wiring yourself so no need to tell you you will need to run 4 core as the new boiler will need a permanent live for the factory fitted frost stat

another consideration is you will need to be able to run a condensate waste pipe from the boiler as well

Tha lad for that Jim, I’ll grab a few more quotes and let you know how I get on!!

Yep have a permanent live for the frost stat and all that jazz!!

Appreciate the comments gents

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I replaced and moved my own and my dad's over the last 5 years. My own needed to be moved about 15 foot back and I had to use double insulated pipe. Dads was similar to yours. 10 rads in my house and the 50/90 20kw unit I have comfortably heats them.
    Straight up being robbed with the quote you got.

Now I'm a pipe fitter/maintenance tech by trade and not having fitted a boiler before each one i did was done in less than a day including some ground work. Pay someone to come in and commission it just to check the exhaust mix levels on a meter. Your plumber wants €2500/€3000 for max two days work., Ah it's straight bio robbery. Ive never seen things as bad as they are now for trades over pricing jobs. I've dealt with grant a few times and they are very helpful if you want to accurately size a boiler for your needs

the vortex 15/26 comes factory set at 70000btu

it can be ranged up to 90 or dropped down to 50

as for dealing with grants its a pleasure

im old fashioned and tend to rate a company on their ability to get back to you be it phone or e mail and they always do

Got another quote there 3.3k seems a bit more realistic!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement