Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occasional leak from condensing oil boiler

Options
  • 26-02-2021 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Could someone tell me what the connection on top of my condensing oil boiler is ?
    I saw it leaking this week, when the boiler was off, and judging by the green coming from the top of this attachment, it must leak occasionally, I hadn't noticed it because it is in the garage.

Time to get it serviced anyway, so I was just wondering if this is a sign of something serious, or it's just to be expected.

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Just tighten that little cap on top and open it about once a month to see if any air comes out. If no air after about 3 tries, then leave it closed and only try it at annual service.

It's an automatic air vent.
    Get one and have it available and replace it if you need to drain down the boiler for any other reason.

PS. if cap is broken, one from a car tyre will do.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭John.G

Can you actually buy a purely manual air vent, ie not a AAV with the shut off cap, as apart from spitting out water the nozzle in these tend to get choked and you wouldn't have try and unblock it with sewing needle or whatever.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

John.G wrote: »
    Can you actually buy a purely manual air vent, ie not a AAV with the shut off cap, as apart from spitting out water the nozzle in these tend to get choked and you wouldn't have try and unblock it with sewing needle or whatever.

Not that I know of, but a leg of pipe with a valve on it would create a manual vent.

There are other types of AAV that claim to be better and have a built in valve that allows removal for replacement or cleaning.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 37 declan b

1/2 inch manual air vent brass can be bought. I do see radiator manual air vents in 1/2 inch fitted too

Advertisement