Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Remove Saddle Boards without Door Frames/Architrave

Options
  • 19-02-2021 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm putting down new floors (laminate) upstairs and want to remove the current saddle boards, without removing the door frames/architrave, which cover the saddle boards.

I'm not sure how they're currently fixed to the floor, no obvious nail holes. Possibly glued.

Will I need to saw the saddle board in half, and then remove it?

Photo attached.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If the frame is sitting on the SB, then there is a chance, small, that its nailed to the frame

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pull the carpet back wedge a chisel or pry bar under and lever it gently. That will tell you what you need to do

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

I had issues removing my saddle boards and when I eventually got them out, there were literally 20 nails on either side, holding it to the door frame.

I used a Multi tool with a plunge saw to first cut a section out of the middle and give me room to wiggle the board and see what was holding it. Once I discovered it was nailed, I used the plunge saw to cut underneath the frame and through the nails and then smashed it out with a hammer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I just belted mine in the middle with a wood chisel had them out in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

Multitool with wood and metal blades is a gift for jobs like that. I just cut mine in the middle and lifted both parts with a pry-bar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement