Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Theory Test Increase

Options
  • 23-01-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Driver Theory Test Fee will increase from €35.60 to €40.60 from 1st February.

If you are thinking of doing this for any category license apply quickly and save yourself €5.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

Thanks for the heads up - must get my sister going with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Just got the CD today, will book it before then, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

How is this rise justified?

Thieving b0lloxes

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

do you have to have the actual exam before that date or book it before that date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Never mind this increase - be sure to pass your theory test and get your permit before April! (I think April 4th is the date) Major changes i.e. new requirements and restrictions coming in then for new learner drivers....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

Esel wrote: »
    Never mind this increase - be sure to pass your theory test and get your permit before April! (I think April 4th is the date) Major changes i.e. new requirements and restrictions coming in then for new learner drivers....

Ive done my theory and passed. However I turn 17 in June. Can I apply before April and avoid those rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Sprrratt wrote: »
    Ive done my theory and passed. However I turn 17 in June. Can I apply before April and avoid those rules?

Nope, you can't apply for, or be issued a permit for the category before you reach the minimum age for that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

luketitz wrote: »
    How is this rise justified?

Thieving b0lloxes

Its the government. They don't have to justify anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

cython wrote: »
    Nope, you can't apply for, or be issued a permit for the category before you reach the minimum age for that category.

iirc I can apply now but it will only be issued on the date of my 17th birthday. A friend did this, I think. I was just wondering if this is the case and ive applied before that date then I may bypass the changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

One of the changes is that learner driver must have 12 hours of driving lessons with a registered instructor.

Not that its a bad thing, just that it could set you back 360 euro, since most charge around 30 an hour. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Do you know if this applies to having to update your learner permit after that date? (I think it only lasts 2 years.)

I have my provisional already but dont plan on going for the full for a good while yet and it'll probably be gone out of date by the time I do get round to it?

clonadlad wrote: »
    Do you know if this applies to having to update your learner permit after that date? (I think it only lasts 2 years.)
    I don't know the answer to that.

I would think, however, that anyone who has/had a permit before the April change should remain under the old system.

Best to research this yourself to be sure. Let us know the result! :D

Not your ornery onager

One of the changes is that learner driver must have 12 hours of driving lessons with a registered instructor.

Not that its a bad thing, just that it could set you back 360 euro, since most charge around 30 an hour. :(
    Another big change is that if/when you pass the driving test, you will then be on R plates for two years. R = Restricted (probably similar restrictions to those that apply to existing R plate holders in the UK).

Also, while learning, you will have to keep a 'driving log'.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Could anyone recommend a book or DVD as a learning aid?

For the Theory Test, there is at least one good DVD available. Don't know the title, but it costs about €35. Check Eason's or any other good bookshop.

I don't know of any DVDs for the Driving Test itself. There could well be some available. I'm sure there a number of books on both tests. Again, Eason's etc.

There is a 'cheap' bookshop on George's St, D2 (just up from the George on the other side of the street) which has a small book on the Driving Test reduced from €10 to €2. It goes through all the items on the Tester's sheet.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

There's a website that a boards member set up a few years back. It might be this one (but I'm not 100%) http://www.drivingtesttips.ie/ and it was a great site at the time of my test.

I also bought a DVD called How to pass your Irish driving test sponsored by bridgestone. Here's a copy on ebay (not mine now, I don't know where that is at this stage): http://cgi.ebay.ie/Bridgestones-PASS-YOUR-IRISH-DRIVING-TEST-DVD-/130432887655

I found the DVD okay, but the website was better. I'm nearly sure that is the website actually. Here's the video page from it: http://www.drivingtesttips.ie/Irish-Driving-Test-Video-Tutorials.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Many thanks Looder and Esel!

Advertisement