Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poundshop.com

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you a link to this actual law? stuff being seized does not necessarily mean its an illegal act to attempt to order it, like if you ordered fake ugg boots they can be seized.

Importation of medical products is governed by the various legislation relating to the formation of the IMB (Irish Medicines Board Act, 1995) with various amendments and SIs since then. S32 of the IMB Act gives the IMB power to ban importation without a licence (which they have) and allows for granting of licences. Attempting to import without a suitable licence is an offence.

As goes calling a legal notice from the IMB "mumbo jumbo", jesus.

The IMB needs reforming, our licencing process needs reforming, a huge amount of medicines need to be reclassified but the way to deal with that is political pressure, not buying medicines off some random website.

pjproby wrote: »
    MYOB
    you might answer the implied question. are you a pharmacist?
    do you currently work for a pharmacist?
    Why are you constantly warning us of the danger of customs finding the item-we can work out the risk ourselves.
    you might comment on the extraordinary difference between the price of paracetamol here and in the UK.
    I have bought 16 paracetamol tablets in a London Boots for 16p.
    Try comparing that with a ROI price.

You can buy generic paracetamol in Ireland too. Also, the 16p paracetamol is not coated. Also, boots are an awful company. A pharmacy should not be ran by a business manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

MYOB wrote: »
    The IMB needs reforming, our licencing process needs reforming, a huge amount of medicines need to be reclassified but the way to deal with that is political pressure, not buying medicines off some random website.
    I'm glad you concede that the IMB is not infallible. But you'll forgive me being a bit cynical about the prospects of bringing about the needed reforms via "political pressure" from Joe Public.

Some very vociferous and influential lobbies in the UK have been campaigning to have Dianette restricted since 2006, but it's still the first line of defense against PCOS, there and here. In Ireland, they routinely prescribe/dispense it to minors, which AFAIK is not technically legal. Should we maybe sue our GPs and colluding pharmacists for such criminal actions? Or just be grateful that women no longer need to have been married in a Catholic Church and have their GP's permission to even obtain contraception in the first place... :rolleyes:

Anyway, we're a long way off-topic. Time for my medecine...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As goes calling a legal notice from the IMB "mumbo jumbo", jesus.
    Jesus is right, its only a simple phrase I could have said

Not being a lawyer I am still wondering after all that legalistic talk is it actually an illegal act as suggested.

I am just looking for it spelt out in laymans terms, usually you see such stuff on the likes of revenue.ie clearly explaining importation of alcohol in clear everyday language. When you say "Both illegal to buy by post to Ireland" it gives the impression of serious connotations, what are the repercussions? fines? possible jail time? what happens when you go to court.

You had said "don't come crying when you're taken to court. The IMB treat illegal imports very seriously, it doesn't matter the volume"

are there any court cases you can point to which are detailed online? like people going to court for importing a pack of 5 lemsip?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When you say "Both illegal to buy by post to Ireland" it gives the impression of serious connotations

Nothing in that statement gives that impression.
    are there any court cases you can point to which are detailed online? like people going to court for importing a pack of 5 lemsip?

If someone imports a single 5 pack of lemsip on multiple individual occasions I'd be worried for their numeracy, as the postage costs would have far exceeded any cost savings. Thats not even a vaguely realistic suggestion and you know it.

The IMB took 11 prosecutions in 2012, they're district court level cases in most cases and hence pretty much never reported online. Those that have been in the past are generally four figure fines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Nothing in that statement gives that impression.

If someone imports a single 5 pack of lemsip on multiple individual occasions I'd be worried for their numeracy, as the postage costs would have far exceeded any cost savings. Thats not even a vaguely realistic suggestion and you know it.

The IMB took 11 prosecutions in 2012, they're district court level cases in most cases and hence pretty much never reported online. Those that have been in the past are generally four figure fines.

why dont you answer the question.are you a pharmacist?have you a vested interest?seems like you do.you seem to defend it to the last.
    i order stuff all the time from chemist direct.never a problem.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    why dont you answer the question.are you a pharmacist?have you a vested interest?seems like you do.you seem to defend it to the last.
    i order stuff all the time from chemist direct.never a problem.

I did answer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nothing in that statement gives that impression..
    I dunno how you can seriously say that. Pretty much all your posts smacked of scaremongering.

The very next post after you said it was
    phasers wrote: »
    Oh my God, really? I've ordered loads of that stuff online before from online chemists :eek:
    he did seem to think it sounded quite serious.
    If its found by customs you'll get a letter telling you its been destroyed and that you've been a bold boy/girl basically. Getting found more than once is the major risk.
    and then go on about more than once being a major risk. I know of a few people who have been caught numerous times with drugs which would probably be taken far more seriously than a few lemsip.

another comment which in effect said you were also scaremongering
    moodrater wrote: »
    Arra feck off, they hardly have the price of the stamp let alone the cost of litigation. There are bigger fish to fry.

Judging by all your posts in defence of pharmacies I would say you have some kind of vested interest you might declare.
    post gets a rake of thanks which you can presume are in agreement.

then even more scaremongering
    If you chose not to believe me, don't come crying when you're taken to court. The IMB treat illegal imports very seriously, it doesn't matter the volume
    You said volume doesn't matter. Yet when asked about lemsip (which was specifically pointed out in this thread, not just some drug I picked), and in a low pack of 5, volume doesn't matter -then you say
    What is not realistic, people going to court over importing some lemsip on 2 or more occasions, I certainly know that's not a remotely realistic possibility, and just wanted you to admit it and quit the scare tatics. The site has a minimum spend amount, it is very realistic that people would stick a £1 pack of lemsip in the basket to get above the £10 minimum limit on 2 occasions.

If there are any guidelines etc on the IMB site or anywhere else I would gladly add them to the charter in online buying & selling, the topic comes up occasionally. I would also like to see any reference cases with the actual amounts and drugs in question. If these were posted at the start I doubt there would have been half as many posts as there are in this thread. I suspect it was large "non-personal use size" consignments of steroids, or head shop drugs, or street sold prescription drugs like valium

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Who cares about medication laws.

Its not cocaine!!!

Just order it if ya want it .

Parcel motel .

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I thought this was supposed to be about pound land

• Advertisement

I dunno how you can seriously say that. Pretty much all your posts smacked of scaremongering.

No, they didn't. At all. The reactions you've cherry picked there are to the realisation something was illegal, that's all. There is zero scaremongering in my posts. I have no idea where you're going with this line of debate but it smells very funny. As for mentioning about people being in agreement with a post as if that actually has any basis - what on earth are you trying to argue here?
    You said volume doesn't matter. Yet when asked about lemsip (which was specifically pointed out in this thread, not just some drug I picked), and in a low pack of 5, volume doesn't matter -then you say

What is not realistic, people going to court over importing some lemsip on 2 or more occasions, I certainly know that's not a remotely realistic possibility, and just wanted you to admit it and quit the scare tatics. The site has a minimum spend amount, it is very realistic that people would stick a £1 pack of lemsip in the basket to get above the £10 minimum limit on 2 occasions.

Its not realistic that someone will have been caught importing 5 lemsip more than ones - that is absolutely clear. Unlike your baseless allegations of 'scaremongering'. There won't be a case to show of that being prosecuted because the chances of it having happened are nil.
    If there are any guidelines etc on the IMB site or anywhere else I would gladly add them to the charter in online buying & selling, the topic comes up occasionally. I would also like to see any reference cases with the actual amounts and drugs in question. If these were posted at the start I doubt there would have been half as many posts as there are in this thread. I suspect it was large "non-personal use size" consignments of steroids, or head shop drugs, or street sold prescription drugs like valium

There aren't any guidelines on the IMB site as the rule is as clear cut as it can be - you can't import medications without a licence.

The relative lack of cases is if anything down to the fact that very few packages coming from the UK are inspected and nothing else.

Simple line here is that it's illegal - absolutely any other discussion of illegal purchases on here gets shut down and now I have someone arguing semantics of how likely you are to get caught? Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

maryk123 wrote: »
    I thought this was supposed to be about pound land

Apparently not.
    Its turned into a battle of two laymen finding as much crap as they can copy/paste from google.:(

I have a poundland tshirt.
    There back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

That is extremely ignorant this was a pound land thread that people could happy dip in and out and you have turned it into an argument. Why not pm each other and give everyone else a break. I for one don't want to read your childish posts that have taken over this thread. Lots of posts here are ruined by people turning them into battles. Do it privately and the you can do it day and night. Thank you for last post very adult.

Poundland poundland poundland
    The shoppings where I want to be.
    Buying kicknacks or treasures
    Or just wanting some treats
    Poundland, poundland, poundland
    it's the shop just for me.
    You're so near to Russia
    So far from Japan
    Quite a long way from Cairo
    Lots of miles from Vietnam
    Poundland,poundland,poundland
    The shoppings where I want to be
    Eating breakfast or dinner
    Or snack lunch in the hall
    Poundland has it all.poundland has it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

seems a small bit cheaper than dealz
    i think i will stick with dealz, knowing my luck i would get carried away and get charged for a large delivery with parcel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Poundland poundland poundland
    The shoppings where I want to be.
    Buying kicknacks or treasures
    Or just wanting some treats
    Poundland, poundland, poundland
    it's the shop just for me.
    You're so near to Russia
    So far from Japan
    Quite a long way from Cairo
    Lots of miles from Vietnam
    The shoppings where I want to be
    Eating breakfast or dinner
    Or snack lunch in the hall
    Poundland has it all.poundland has it all.

Please state if you have a vested interest:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There aren't any guidelines on the IMB site as the rule is as clear cut as it can be - you can't import medications without a licence.

Therein lies the issue and problem for people with prescriptions that have already seen a doctor.

Person in NCT centre doesn't tell me where to get my car repaired so....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Anyone's order processed? Mines still pending.

Advertisement