Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on Microsoft Office

Options
  • 04-12-2018 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Code by email

Six Family licences, good for a year with a TB of OneDrive thrown in & the codes are stackable so if you go in with six friends, you've got six years worth of Office with all updates/upgrades for just £70

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Aurora Starstreak

Why pay when you can get it for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Careful now

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

75 euro in Argos...probably a few euro cheaper then Amazon when sterling is converted.

Picked up the same from Amazon on Black Friday for just over £51.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Libre office. Free and just as good as office.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭garyfleming7

How?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Note, you can pay for this via Google Play using your spare phone credit (sign up via the One Drive app)

€7 per month but it's credit that would otherwise be wasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

s_carnage wrote: »

For exel and word maybe but access is far superior imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

mrcheez wrote: »
    Note, you can pay for this via Google Play using your spare phone credit (sign up via the One Drive app)

€7 per month but it's credit that would otherwise be wasted!

And works on desktop? Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

TallGlass wrote: »
    And works on desktop? Interesting.

yip... handy thing alright. Haven't used the storage yet, but I reckon I'll need it fairly soon as I'm running out of space on my HDD!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Use one drive as my cloud storage and get office for free. Great value and service to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

s_carnage wrote: »

Libre Office is a fine free application, but it is a million miles away from the quality of Office. Excel in particular has no real rival, and it gets better and better every year (So does Google Sheets, imo, but it has serious performance issues with large spreadsheets).

If you don't want to spend money, and your use is casual - use Google's free office suite.

If your needs are more complex, and you will be sharing / sending files in a professional environment, you should be use Office.

sioda wrote: »
    Use one drive as my cloud storage and get office for free. Great value and service to be honest.

I agree. I pay €100 a year for 1tb storage and the full office suite on my 2 pcs, my macbook, my ipad and my android phone. To me, that's excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Not sure why would anyone pay a yearly fee for this...

When its only 15 pounds to own the equivalent outright.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MICROSOFT-OFFICE-2016-Digital-License/dp/B07GN3FQGC

The 1TB space might sound useful, but dont forget it goes away once you stop paying for it -
    using dropbox, onedrive and google drive you can get a useful amount of cloud storage for free

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Plenty of 365 Office 2016 licence 6X installs for less than a tenner on ebay, used them for years without any issue

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

ozmo wrote: »

The 1TB space might sound useful, but dont forget it goes away once you stop paying for it -
    using dropbox, onedrive and google drive you can get a useful amount of cloud storage for free

Are they legit?

How can Microsoft be selling €100-a-year subscriptions to Office on their site while you can buy it outright for a fraction of that price on Amazon? Smells fishy.

Standman wrote: »
    Are they legit?

How can Microsoft be selling €100-a-year subscriptions to Office on their site while you can buy it outright for a fraction of that price on Amazon? Smells fishy.

They are probably not legit, but probably will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

They are probably not legit, but probably will work.

Yep, check out one of the 1-star reviews:
    OFFICE KEY WAS BLOCKED SO I WAS NEVER ABLE TO BE USE.
    MICROSOFT HELPLINE ADVISED MAYBE STOLEN OR FRAUDULENTY OBTAINED.
    DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER!!!!!
    Proceed with caution.

ozmo wrote: »

Office 365 gets more regular updates and gets features that Office 2016 will never get. Office 2016 owners will eventually need to buy Office 2019 to get those features.

If you use things like Power Query and Power Pivot on a regular basis, then €10 per month is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Standman wrote: »
    Are they legit?

How can Microsoft be selling €100-a-year subscriptions to Office on their site while you can buy it outright for a fraction of that price on Amazon?

Its Amazon and they are usually very trustworthy at keeping everything legit - if you think its fraudulent you can let them know - but he has 100% positive feedback and I can see one bad review and nearly 200 good ones - maybe that reviewer worked for a computer shop lol.

That said I have not bought one from that particular seller myself -
    discarded/scrapped e-waste laptops might be another good source of second hand legit licences - use the free 'jellybean' utility to get the serial from the old laptops registry :)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Office 365 gets more regular updates and gets features that Office 2016 will never get. Office 2016 owners will eventually need to buy Office 2019 to get those features.

If you use things like Power Query and Power Pivot on a regular basis, then €10 per month is well worth it.

Power Query was renamed to

Get & Transform in office2016

Available as a download for excel 2010/2013

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39379

Should be free addons anyway - what kind of a yoke can't import a bit of data these days ?

• Advertisement

I paid the 7€ and you get a free month if you never had it before. However I am going to query with my manager as they have Office 365 that if the licensing covers home usage. Which could be an option for people in a large corporate getting 'free' office.

To be honest, I think 7€ a month is reasonable for what I am getting. Think I will start to move stuff to that cloud for some storage SSD is getting full.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Should be free addons anyway - what kind of a yoke can't import a bit of data these days ?

Power Query / Get and Transform doesn't just import data. It's how it transforms and cleans up Data in a way that can be reproduced as data is refreshed. It has both a complex language (M) behind it and a simple-to-use GUI. It is a remarkably adaptable piece of software.

You say they should be free, that's fine to have that opinion, but they are probably the biggest enhancements to Excel in 20 years and have replaced a lot of Visual Basic programming for a lot of people. For an awful lot of people that is worth paying for.

Power Query alone saves me hours every month by automating reporting, paying for itself many times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Picked up the same from Amazon on Black Friday for just over £51.

does the UK version work ok in Ireland?

If you have an existing monthly subscription, can you cancel that and then use the new annual sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Luff123

You could find a better deal with a bit of research. I'm new here so don't really want to link anything to not make it appear as I'm a spammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Luff123 wrote: »
    You could find a better deal with a bit of research. I'm new here so don't really want to link anything to not make it appear as I'm a spammer.

Legit deals?

That storage is brilliant. Can't believe I never done it before, freed up nearly 13GB on the SSD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

TallGlass wrote: »
    That storage is brilliant. Can't believe I never done it before, freed up nearly 13GB on the SSD!

What storage? Does OneDrive not store a copy on your SSD too

Synode wrote: »
    What storage? Does OneDrive not store a copy on your SSD too

No it has an option for online only. If you right click it and select free up space it moves it to online only, then removes the local copy. Just make sure to empty the recycling bin as it seems to move them over there too.

I'm just moving everything over for now and will sort it out tomorrow. Might move anything important back or just encrypt it with 7zip or something leave it online.

Bargain to get all this for 7€ if you ask me. Office, and a fairly sizeable place to backup. Seemingly you can set it up so it stores your photos and frees up the space on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I use the online option too and have it shared out to 2 other people also.
    I could acquire a copy for it on ebay or amazon but you're locked into an email provided by the seller. They're normally university licenses hence why they're cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement