Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

tv advertising revenue stream will take a nose dive with covid. so dont know where tg4 are going to get any money.

they do good things:

-ros na run
    - kids animations that they can easily dub into gaeilge. harder to do this with real life actors
    -fiorsceal - easy to change the narrator for documentaries.

only thing that annoys me is they dont keep the legal rights to programs they show. they had some great programs over the year that arent on their tg4.ie online player. i recall there being harry potter in irish. but its vanished. That would be great for teaching kids irish.

and i love hector but seems every year they send him on another travel program. is he just waiting in dublin airport, passport in hand, for the call from tg4 boss to go somewhere for the 4th time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Rugbaí Beo is the only reason I'd ever switch over to TG4. Great for coverage of Connacht matches, though tbh, the mute button tends to get used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

My parents watch it and they are not Irish speakers.

But you are right, it does need a shake up.

Also my wife, like alot of people who have no interest in Irish, watches it a bit. That is a tribute to a little tv station run on a shoestring. They used to have good stuff of their own but I agree that sadly things aren't as good as they used to be. So much of the media, print, tv etc is taking a financial battering and Covid isn't helping.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Rugbaí Beo is the only reason I'd ever switch over to TG4. Great for coverage of Connacht matches, though tbh, the mute button tends to get used.

I watch Connacht too. I used to watch some rugby on the Welsh channel, S4C, not having a word of Welsh. I determined to pick up the rudiments of Welsh and then the bloody channel was pulled from me. S4C is also strapped for cash recently. I wonder if quality has also suffered.

You are missing Murder She Wrote on TG4 right now. Some more classic Irish culture.

Interest in Gaelic Irish culture doesn't have to compel one to close one's eyes to the rest of the world. We are not North Korea. France 24 fills TG4 for a good part of the late night giving a European and Francophone perspective. In looking elsewhere it's hardly surprising that Anglo-American culture features, since we are part of the English-speaking world.
    I remember a time when a number of Irish people regarded rugby as a foreign game and are probably choking on their cornflakes now in the great tv studio in the sky when they see TG4 showing rugby. But I'm confident that you, being a modern young Irishman, wouldn't go to those extremes in your ardent desire to see more indigenous Irish culture on TG4.

P.S. I'm still awaiting a reply to my original question. I'm almost embarrassed to keep mentioning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The Country and Western channel as I like to call it. Any time I flicked past it was either Wee Daniel crooning or some dated cowboy movie.

Country and Western isn't much to my liking either. I would prefer less of it. But do you remember comedian Frank Kelly's song from years ago? "There are 85,000 Country singers in Ireland." Give or take 5,000 he was there or thereabouts right.

Do you remember the RTE-collaborated series years ago that demonstrated the Irish origins of a great deal of American music? Compare the air of "The Bard of Armagh" with that of "The Streets of Laredo." The latter is very slightly jizzed up. Otherwise they are identical.
    Hated the children's stuff as a kid, no way was I going to bother watching cartoons in Irish.

Each to his own. If I had my way there would be nothing on tv except David Attenborough, history, GAA, rugby, soccer and quizzes. If Trigger Happy had his way there would be nothing to see on TG4 except a blank screen. It's impossible to please everybody.

The only time I ever watched TG4 is when RTE weren't showing Limerick in the hurling. Not a massive fan of sport in general, but I do like a good game of hurling, and really only interested enough to watch the big matches or Limerick playing, more for company for the father than anything. Does be a good family event with the 2 parents actually. Anyway, I can't speak/understand Irish aside from basic stuff to have passed a test 20 odd years ago, so it's extra annoying that the matches are in Irish. Sometimes, we watch it via Sky because of the delay, turn the tv audio down and listen to it on the radio. The delay via radio usually matches the delay with Sky, whereas if you were to watch it on Saorview the action is slightly ahead of the commentary on the radio.

I have the very same problem when I watch soccer on Spanish and Italian channels. The damn fellows just won't speak English.

I think it needs to move online.

They will find money from all the yanks and brits who want to learn irish. It will be annoying as **** but it will bring in money.

And would you advocate Israeli tv going online and finding money from all the Yanks and Brits who want to learn Hebrew?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

33 million every year pissed away on Michael D's wet dream. A ludicrous waste of money. Only things anyone ever watches are in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I watch the GAA in Irish, and the programs they show every five minutes were they go out wesht to talk to trad musicians and the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Does it still have the talented weather ladies?

Who's everyone's favourite weather lady?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭saabsaab

feargale wrote: »
    I have the very same problem when I watch soccer on Spanish and Italian channels. The damn fellows just won't speak English.

Quite so Mr Cholmondley-Warner. I say, is it too much to ask them to speak the King's?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

RTE have X amount to spend, maybe they want to show popular programs on rte1 or 2, many people never watch tg4 as most of the shows are in Irish,
    In my experience 95 per cent of people outside the Gaeltacht cannot understand Irish.
    Things have changed on sky and cable TV,
    There's 300 plus channels.
    I don't think tg4 gets big ratings unless there's live sport on.
    I think tg4 is old fashioned, like old Nokia phones, VHS vcrs etc
    It was probably a lot more popular 10 years ago than it is now.
    I can't remember going to see a friend and seeing someone watch tg4 for any reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Its a quango.
    Jobs for a few politicians friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Murder she wrote of a Sunday night does be good.
    Also there was an article in last weeks Connacht tribune Saying tg4 had its highest ever ratings this year but that’s probably down to more people at home with the covid lockdown

The Irish rm is very good aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Do you remember the RTE-collaborated series years ago that demonstrated the Irish origins of a great deal of American music? Compare the air of "The Bard of Armagh" with that of "The Streets of Laredo." The latter is very slightly jizzed up. Otherwise they are identical.

What?

The Irish rm is very good aswell

Stage Irish unfunny comedy. Woedious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Ah....i only watched it cos of Sile Ni Bhraonain. Gorgeous.

• Advertisement

What?

What what?

What what?

You obviously don't know that doesn't mean what you think it means... ok, just go back to sleep...

Stage Irish unfunny comedy. Woedious.

It’s very good.go and watch the second episode trinkets colt and come back and say it wasn’t funny.one of the best shows I’ve seen in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

enjoy the westerns on a friday night

It’s very good.go and watch the second episode trinkets colt and come back and say it wasn’t funny.one of the best shows I’ve seen in ages

No.

You obviously don't know that doesn't mean what you think it means... ok, just go back to sleep...

I know what it means but I'm not as pedantic as your good self. Did you find fault with any relevant part of my post?

Its grand for a bit of GAA that other channels are not showing other then that meh!

TG4 saw a niche while other stations turned up their noses. More power to TG4.

At the end of the day its built around basically a dead language so its not gonna be everyone's Cupan Tae.

You need to do a bit of study of the differences between endangered, dead and extinct languages. Google Ethnologue.

"In linguistics, language death occurs when a language loses its last native speaker."

Irish is not a dead language. Irish is an endangered language.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

riclad wrote: »
    RTE have X amount to spend, maybe they want to show popular programs on rte1 or 2, many people never watch tg4 as most of the shows are in Irish,
    In my experience 95 per cent of people outside the Gaeltacht cannot understand Irish.

In my experience 90 % of Irish people outside the gaeltacht can understand spoken irish but not speak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think we need to talk about the elephant in the room here.

That is the people who are happy to take the money into their pocket and produce nothing for it leaving gaelgoirs with nothing and making the Irish language scene look bad.

There are some scammers in this. It makes the Irish language look like a black hole.

• Advertisement

I love TG4. Great for the GAA and also the GAA nostalgia. Wonderful little channel. Is what it is and im glad it didnt change and evolve into a 'woke monster' like that overpaid Frankenstein RTE.

Advertisement