Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

xtal191 wrote: »

To be fair every club has its own share of obnoxious twats. The bigger a fanbase the more twats by default.

I know Liverpool fans who feel the same about the crap that can go on an Anfield from Pool fans as I do about the crap that goes on at old Trafford that doesn’t get reported. These are not family friendly environments and it’s assholes like those in that link who spoil it for everybody. It’s not funny, it’s just pathetic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"But if Liverpool and City are hitting 95/97/100 points and United finish 3rd with 80-85... I just don't think I could point at that and think 'Failure, disgraceful' at a base level (context may be important)."

Fair point.

I'd just personally rather we're setting the bar expecting an 80-85 point as a minimum with a title challange next season as the initial goal, than be going in already saying "we're comfortable with a top 4 finish".

I think a big issue we've had in recent years, for Moyes right through to Ole, is we set a "safe" minimum expectation which we always, always struggle to hit.

I had a teacher in school who drummed it in to us that it's better to aim for an A+ and "settle" for an A-, than to aim for the B+, because if the B+ is the most your aiming for, you'll never get beyond it.

It's time to expect the team to push for the A+. And then, this time next year, if we're sitting here with a comfortable Top 4 finish, I'd rather be disappointed and accepting it than allowing that standard to become the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

What is needed next season is more consistency in putting away mid to lower table teams. It has been a huge failing, and is the main reason we are struggling to even make top 4.

How many times this season did we get a good result against a top 6 club, or they dropped points only for Utd to go get a draw or lose?

Whatever about competing with City and Liverpool and getting 80+ points next season, the squad is more than capable of beating teams like Sheffield United 3 nil on a regular basis.

L'Equippe saying we're one of many teams interested in Matteo Guendouzi from Arsenal, who has asked to leave in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lord TSC wrote: »
    L'Equippe saying we're one of many teams interested in Matteo Guendouzi from Arsenal, who has asked to leave in the summer.

Ugh, please no. I can't stand the sight of him and McTominay is miles ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I don’t see 95 plus points as standard from here on. There was a time when I thought Mourinho’s Chelsea were never going to be reeled back in. Other teams step up, players move on or are just not hitting the same levels. It always evens out in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    "But if Liverpool and City are hitting 95/97/100 points and United finish 3rd with 80-85... I just don't think I could point at that and think 'Failure, disgraceful' at a base level (context may be important)."

Fair point.

I'd just personally rather we're setting the bar expecting an 80-85 point as a minimum with a title challange next season as the initial goal, than be going in already saying "we're comfortable with a top 4 finish".

I think a big issue we've had in recent years, for Moyes right through to Ole, is we set a "safe" minimum expectation which we always, always struggle to hit.

I had a teacher in school who drummed it in to us that it's better to aim for an A+ and "settle" for an A-, than to aim for the B+, because if the B+ is the most your aiming for, you'll never get beyond it.

It's time to expect the team to push for the A+. And then, this time next year, if we're sitting here with a comfortable Top 4 finish, I'd rather be disappointed and accepting it than allowing that standard to become the norm.

Higher expectations from fans won’t change a thing in terms of teams success if it doesn’t have any influence on how the team does , so I’m not really getting your point.

Who is setting these “safe” minimum targets you speak of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I don’t see 95 plus points as standard from here on. There was a time when I thought Mourinho’s Chelsea were never going to be reeled back in. Other teams step up, players move on or are just not hitting the same levels. It always evens out in the end.

The average over the last few seasons is 90+ or close to it.

Chelsea got 87 and Leicester 81.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I don't particularly disagree.

I thinkt he club should be aiming at 80points or so next season as the target. IMO the 81 gained by the Jose side saw a sh1t load of terrible, horrible, performances. Where we pulled out wins where we shouldn't have. We have gone backwards, even from there. We need to get back to that level of points, but with much better performances.
    100% agree with this. We over performed that season in terms of points and that simply wasn't sustainable. Didn't Jose himself say it was his biggest achievement?

I may be naive but right now it feels like the current team have a higher ceiling than that Jose team but this does not necessarily mean Ole is the one to deliver that next step.

Having the attributes to comfortably out perform our top 6 rivals should be the difficult part. Picking up the necessary points against the other 14 teams should be our bread and butter and I do think resolving this is within Ole's reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Yeah City and Liverpool have been racking up ridiculous numbers but it won’t go on for years. City are already miles off their last few seasons. It’s just not sustainable IMO.
    It’s possible of course, if the chasing pack continue to be as awful as they have been but I think it’s a massive ask to hit them heights for 3/4/5 seasons in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

S.M.B. wrote: »

Having the attributes to comfortably out perform our top 6 rivals should be the difficult part. Picking up the necessary points against the other 14 teams should be our bread and butter and I do think resolving this is within Ole's reach.

I think the current side, with pogba and Bruno both in gives us a much better chance vs packed defences. Add sanchoochoo in and I reckon we carve teams open with much greater success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Every team that wins the PL have one thing in common and thats a decent set of Centre Backs.

If we are only after 2 players a World Class CB would be preference for 1 slot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

After Liverpool winning the league yesterday we need a win tomorrow to lift the spirits, nothing we could do about them winning the league, they were miles more consistent than anyother team in the league this season, but now we have to look after ourselves and we need a win tomorrow to put us in the semi finals, winning trophies is infectious and we need to start doing this over the next couple of months, starting with the FA cup and then finishing off with the Europa League,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    After Liverpool winning the league yesterday we need a win tomorrow to lift the spirits, nothing we could do about them winning the league, they were miles more consistent than anyother team in the league this season, but now we have to look after ourselves and we need a win tomorrow to put us in the semi finals, winning trophies is infectious and we need to start doing this over the next couple of months, starting with the FA cup and then finishing off with the Europa League,

Not a thing wrong with my spirits anyway thank the lord.

/shrug

I expect us to absolutely hockey Norwich tomorrow tbh and will be annoyed if we don't put at least 3 or 4 past them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Not a thing wrong with my spirits anyway thank the lord.

/shrug

I expect us to absolutely hockey Norwich tomorrow tbh and will be annoyed if we don't put at least 3 or 4 past them.

So if we win 2-0 and put in a good performance you will be annoyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ugh, please no. I can't stand the sight of him and McTominay is miles ahead of him.

as much as i love mctominay, he isnt miles ahead of guendouzi, is guendouzi's contract up or is it last year ? id take him for less than 20-25 mill for sure, i highly doubt we are actually in for him anyways and most likely he'll end up back in france or maybe italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

It's 5 years and several changes of manager since Chelsea won it with 87. The level of quality at the very top of the league is much stronger now imo.

As for Leicester's title win, brilliant Roy of the rovers stuff it was - but it was a bit of a freak season for so many of the big guns to be so poor.
    To put it in context: City finished on 66 points that year. Identical to our points total last season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Every team that wins the PL have one thing in common and thats a decent set of Centre Backs.

If we are only after 2 players a World Class CB would be preference for 1 slot

There aren't too many really top quality centrebacks around in World football at the moment.We overpaid by around 30m for Maguire who would get in very few of the top 2/3 teams in the best leagues in the world.Really he needs to play in a back 3 so that someone else can cover for his lack of pace.Then we have Lindelof who isn,t dominant enough in the air to be trusted consistently in the
    Premier League and Bailly who can do something brilliant one minute and cost you the match 5 mins later.

The dearth of quality centrebacks is illustrated by fact Klopp...[wisely] waited to get VVD and Pep waited to get Laporte having seen tens of millions wasted on likes of Stones and Mangala.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Are koulibaly or de lijt particularly pacy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

https://twitter.com/MichealMartinTD/status/1276274151783903235?s=19

I didn't actually know Michael Martin was a Utd fan. Fair play to him being so magnanimous. I have similar feelings myself.

Populist ****e, Jesus congratulate them if you need to but take enjoyment? Me bollix I've congratulated every genuine Liverpool friend fan I have, I take absolutely zero enjoyment or happiness personally from their title success. Hopefully it's another 30 years before I have to give them their due again.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Feeling strangely optimistic and happy at the moment.

Just thinking of the Pogba and Bruno connection. I know with the lockdown a 13 game unbeaten run means little but still, I stupidly feel it will only get better.

With Chelsea playing well and Pulisic finding his feet getting top 4 is more difficult. Hope Leicester slip up.

But for reasons I can’t explain I’m feeling happy at the moment about United. More so looking forward to next season already but let’s hope it’s one that involves CL.

Not slow but imo would not consider either pacey. I reckon Koulibaly be just a shade quicker but not 100%

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Feeling strangely optimistic and happy at the moment.

Just thinking of the Pogba and Bruno connection. I know with the lockdown a 13 game unbeaten run means little but still, I stupidly feel it will only get better.

With Chelsea playing well and Pulisic finding his feet getting top 4 is more difficult. Hope Leicester slip up.

But for reasons I can’t explain I’m feeling happy at the moment about United. More so looking forward to next season already but let’s hope it’s one that involves CL.

I'm same, funny enough.

I think the 2 January signings along with Rashford contribution over Covid and the way club handled itself itself felt we came out so well.

We still have 3 things to play for

1. Top 4
    2. FA Cup
    3. Europa

But....

This can change quick. I think a failure to deliver any of these and I would consider it a failure. Top 4 or Europa would be much more important than FA Cup, but still even Cup would be something for Ole to cling to.

Again I will stress, failure to deliver 1 of these 3 things will mean 19/20 season was a failure.

Remember Ole said the squad was good enough and he was happy. Let's hope those comments dont come back on him

Hopefully we start a good term by beating a depleted Norwich side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Pogba, Bruno and a top class holding midfielder is the best midfield in the league

Rashford, Martial and Sancho is one the best and not far off liverpool or city

Maguire, Awb, a new CB is one of the best defences in the league I will admit lb is an issue

Vvd and Allison showed what two great signings can do in your weakest positions

If we got Sancho and a top class CB or holding midfielder we should be challenging for the title not for 4th

A top class manager with that squad would be pushing for the title

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

There was a time that watching Utd was a chore and was something that I didnt look forward to, all the side ways passing, slow play, but since January and the arrival of Bruno the team has got its first proper leader in a long time, his attitude has definitely rubbed off on the squad,

Take the build play for the third goal midweek, ball fizzed into Bruno with one flick he opened up Sheff Utd if that was any of our other No 10 options that would have controlled the ball, probably played it out wide and we would have probably ended up either going backwards or won a corner

You can see the CM's are confident enough to play the ball to Bruno.

The squad just needs a few clever additions, solid buys are needed, players who have the right attitude to play for the club and who will work like dogs when they are on the pitch no matter who we are up against

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Be interesting to see what team plays today. I think we will see Pogba on bench and possibly Rashford too. 3 games in 6 days both after coming off injuries is a lot to ask and Tuesday is more important.

• Feeling confident about today again but yes agree with resting players.

Would like McSauce, Fred and James to get starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think there FA cup is a good chance for silverware this season and we should be taking it as seriously as possible.
    I do agree to an extent that Tuesdays game is more important. We could finished top 4 this season but just as easily finish 6th.

Even if the City ban is upheld we are a long way from cementing 5th place never mind top 4.

I’d envisage changes but would like to see not too many and play a strong team.
    It’s where we are at that the FA cup is a huge opportunity to bring some success to the club.

• Advertisement

Our second string should be capable of beating Norwich.

• Is Dalot available for selection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

adox wrote: »
    I’d envisage changes but would like to see not too many and play a strong team.
    It's a real test for Ole and his back room staff. By all accounts fitness levels are in a good place and we appear to be in a better place than last year relative to other teams right now.

Ole needs to balance rotation with momentum which Fergie always had a knack for. It would not be wise to name the same team again today so let's see what he does.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's a real test for Ole and his back room staff. By all accounts fitness levels are in a good place and we appear to be in a better place than last year relative to other teams right now.

Ole needs to balance rotation with momentum which Fergie always had a knack for. It would not be wise to name the same team again today so let's see what he does.

Id say at least 4 changes. Mata williams fred mctominay all in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Feeling confident about today again but yes agree with resting players.

Would like McSauce, Fred and James to get starts

My brain read "McShane" in there.

• My brain read "McShane" in there.

Now there is a name I haven't read in a while!

For some reason when I see McShane I also see Steve Staunton

I can't actually remember why :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I dont see him mentioned here much but Upamecano from Leipzig should be a CB United are looking at.

Hes unbelievably quick ,he would put plenty of strikers and wingers to shame ,good with the ball and although not the tallest he looks like he'd be well suited to EPL.

The other big plus is he only has one year left on his contract and rumoured in Germany is he won't be signing a new contract.

Leipzig probably have to sell him this summer and hope to start a bidding war but he could be a great signing for relatively small money.

Hes had 4 years at RB playing regularly and still only 21.He missed a decent chunk of last season with a knee injury but seems to be back to his best again.

IIRC he has spoken positively about United in the past.imo there is no doubt about this lad making it to the very top and could be a huge signing without breaking the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

A fully functioning midfield is more important than improving the defence. How many CBs do we actually need. Call back Smalling if we need more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Is todays game on TV anywhere ?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Xenophile wrote: »
    Is todays game on TV anywhere ?

BBC One.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    I dont see him mentioned here much but Upamecano from Leipzig should be a CB United are looking at.

Hes unbelievably quick ,he would put plenty of strikers and wingers to shame ,good with the ball and although not the tallest he looks like he'd be well suited to EPL.

The other big plus is he only has one year left on his contract and rumoured in Germany is he won't be signing a new contract.

Leipzig probably have to sell him this summer and hope to start a bidding war but he could be a great signing for relatively small money.

Hes had 4 years at RB playing regularly and still only 21.He missed a decent chunk of last season with a knee injury but seems to be back to his best again.

IIRC he has spoken positively about United in the past.imo there is no doubt about this lad making it to the very top and could be a huge signing without breaking the bank.

Utd have been looking at him as have city, will probably make a move this summer

A fully functioning midfield is more important than improving the defence. How many CBs do we actually need. Call back Smalling if we need more options.

Smalling looks well off the pace in Italy. His performance v Sampdoria was poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Can we not have both?

We have lots of CBs but most of them aren't good enough.We need quality not quantity.
    Could sell 4 of them and they wouldn't be missed.

If a good option is available at CB and they improve the first 11 then id hope United are in the market.

Ideally I'd like to see a RW,CM and CB bought this summer with about 6 players leaving the club .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Smalling looks well off the pace in Italy. His performance v Sampdoria was poor

Smalling is getting great reviews in Italy. He's starts every week for Roma and they want to keep him.

Smalling is getting great reviews in Italy. He's starts every week for Roma and they want to keep him.

Ac Millan and Roma want Jeff Hendrick. He been doing fine but Italian football is not lat level once was bar Juve.

Was always a Smalling fan but he has lost that yard. You can get away with that in Italy much more than England

Good to see most of the team rested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

ugh Lingard starting. I really have no time for him in a UTD shirt

• Advertisement

Tippex wrote: »
    ugh Lingard starting. I really have no time for him in a UTD shirt

Need to get the best price possible for him come summer

This discussion has been closed.