Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2023/24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Alonso next :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭kalych

Lavinia wrote: »
    Alonso next :D

Considering the love for the 3-2 scorelines last season that could mean an own goal ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Fantastish

Whatta forwards when backwards are scoring lol

All part of Frankies master plan!

In Lampard we trust!

kalych wrote: »
    Considering the love for the 3-2 scorelines last season that could mean an own goal ...

Ahah
    Yeah well I wouldn't be too surprised :d

but hope not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Barkley has been good since he came on.

Well good to start the season with the three points, very interesting game to analyse this new team

#winisawinisawin #andilltakeit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

MartinTyler taking an absolute piss out of Kepa, rightly so.
    And to be honest I didnt really like what I have seen.
    Speed of Werner will cause some troubles to Epl defenders.
    First game in, so not gonna judge book by its cover, but I guess expectations were sky high.
    Lamptey sold for 3 mln £ its the worst transfer ever, best player on the pitch.
    But fcuk it, COME ON CHELSEA !!! COME ON LAMPARD !!!
    #KTBFFH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Watching Frank postmatch interview, this fella is mastermind, fingers cross players will match it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

This was one we had to get out with a win , F all preseason , a few looked well off the pace , RLC , Jourginho, havertz but that will come after a couple of games , need some of the big hitters fit for sunday, werner looked the business , speed kills and he's got it , also his link up play was excellent, suffered a dead leg at the end so needs to be wrapped up

a new GK is needed badly

onwards and upwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Played poorly but as Frank said lots of new players and a good chunk of those were away on international duty.

Make no mistake about it though, if w play like that against Pool we'll be beaten easily.

Werner, Kante, Zouma the best for Chelsea, James took his goal well but let a lot go down his flank.

Another good thing though is we have, once everyone is fit, a pretty big squad so should be able to compete a bit better this year as we've a bit more quality.

Kepa is still a major worry and even if post match Frank stuck with him and said if Mendy is signed its for competition, you gte the feeling hes fuming with Kepa.

The goal was on him but there was 2 or 3 times we let them shot from distance without closing down, 1 of those was a goal.

We're still weak as pi** at set pieces, we cleared the initial corner but Dunk had a free header to make it 2-2 and he should have buried it.

Lots to work on still but that will come down the line, not just for Chelsea but every team in the PL, I dont think we'll be up to speed until about October/November but keep chalking up wins and we should be top 4 in 8 months time.

• Advertisement

I think RLC has a massive season ahead of him and if he continues to underwhelm like he did last night and Barkley can look better in a 20 min cameo, even though he often gave the ball away too, RLC has big problems.

We've a lot of players to play #10 and I cant see him getting in on the wing once everyone is fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

A win is a win. The team will probably look very different in a few games time. Good to get things on the road again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭kalych

I think if RLC keeps up his ****e performance, he might keep Barkley at the club.

Bayern are sounding out Odoi again going off Twitter suggestions.

I wouldnt be surprised if he does push for a move either, if hes not going to play over 2 midfielders on the wings when 2 of the wingers ahead of you are injured, it must be a bit s**t watching it from the sidelines.

He'll want to make the squad for England in the Euros and with Greenwood, Sancho, Sterling all head of him at the moment, sitting on our bench isnt going to further his international career.

I think a lot of the English players will be pushing to start as many games as possible to make it to the Euros in the summer.

On that note, i really hope we don't go after Declan Rice.

I just don't see anything in him at all that would warrant such a massive outlay. For me, hes very like Eric Dier, a severely limited player but because hes home grown, he'll add about 20m to his price tag.

I'd prefer to keep Ampadu or Gilmour to play CM than sign Rice and blow £60+ m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Id have preferred to keep Ampadu for midfield as well but hopefully he can prove enough on loan at Sheffield to develop

If we play 4231 often like last night then we’re fine for midfield numbers really, i can see why Frank wants Rice as a dedicated holding mf for a 3 man midfield cause only Kante can do that for us atm realistically

Was disappointed not to see CHO start but he must be disappointing in training, we were narrow last night and while Reece James was good and the goal was a worldy, I saw a heatmap of him and he was infield far more than on the overlap of Havertz, maybe the intention was to suffocate Brighton idk but hopefully we see Ziyech make an impact when he’s ready

Lamptey had a better game than James but that goal was special and came at the very right time considering we just left in a soft goal.

In a few weeks we'll be up to speed and hopefully that type of game becomes more of a formality.

Those are the types of games last year that we would have dropped points so a good win really.

Based on how the game was up to that point I wasnt fancying us at 1 all, would have needed a sub to make an impact really but Reece picked a good time to get his first PL goal

I do hope Pulisic and Ziyech are available for Liverpool but unlikely they’ll start just 6 days after not making a matchday squad, hopefully Thiago Silva is up to speed by then though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Israel Echoing Hairdressing

ive a feeling if someone offered 20 mill for RLC they'd probably take it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I would, he's 24, let someone else take the punt on him now I think. If his attitude was better I'd want to show more patience with him after the injury, but there's nothing in him. I would have thought he would have enjoyed being behind closed doors tbh but he looks even more quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Not in today's market being an English player

i'm giving benefit of the doubt to rlc he's an amazing player just got out of massively long injury

yes that run was unbelievable but c'mon :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Is Mendy any good? Seems to like to push the ball out in front of him, Pickford style. Is he going to be an upgrade? I know his stats are better, but maybe he's playing behind defenders who defend adequately and only really faced genuine quality maybe 6 games a season? Kepa isn't helped by a defence that never looks properly organised.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I dont think Mendy has to be much better as long as hes at least as good and offers competition or fires a rocket up Kepa.

One of our biggest issues seems to be conceding from distance and being easy to pin in from set pieces, Kepas not physical enough in those situations.

Th goal the other night wasnt a great hit, it was a good effort but you'd hope your GK saves that nearly every time.

Once we've Chilwell and Silva fit and ready I'm confident we'll see a more organised back line.

We still need a commanding CB to take us into the medium term, 3 years or so and none of the current CBs are able to do it, unless Silva magically finds the fountain of youth, that is. :D

• Advertisement

I reckon once we get Mendy in, our business will be done this window.

I still feel Rice would be an absurd waste of money.

He doesnt seem to be pushing for a move, probably not to burn bridges at WH and thats going to force WH to dig in and ask for 60/70/80m for him.

We might go after him next summer if theres no move now, best case scenario for that potential deal would be WH getting relegated, would make a deal much easier to do as you'd imagine Rice would want out.

i'm giving benefit of the doubt to rlc he's an amazing player just got out of massively long injury

yes that run was unbelievable but c'mon :P
    very glad to see the boss is backing me up <3:D
    great minds and all tha jazz :pac::D

w5pehcrijfn51.png
    The aggregated ratings from Reddit disagrees
    very glad to see the boss is backing me up <3:D
    great minds and all tha jazz :pac::D

duploelabs wrote: »

He was woefully bad.

It was a good ooportunity to fore Lamps hand to give him more game time but as soon as Kovacic, Pulisic, Zieych are all back, RLC is out.

Actually the fact RLC started at all was a mystery, Odoi really should have started that game.

Odoi has 2 main competitors on the wing, both were injured and Lampard picked 2 CMs over him. :pac:

you cant judge him or any player based on one game or even on one portion of the game. if that would be the criteria wed have no players at all

• Advertisement

you cant judge him or any player based on one game or even on one portion of the game. if that would be the criteria wed have no players at all

That's an aggregate score over the whole game, as you can see he's so far below the rest of the team. Exactly when did he have a good game for us last?

RLC this season is either a put up or shut up.

Hes 25 in a few months, the talent is there but hes never really reached any of his potential.

Hes arguably 5th choice for CM and if we play a 2 man pivot, hes screwed, if we go 4-3-3 he might get some minuites. he shouldnt even be in the discussion to play out wide, whatever LaHpard was thinking, it failed miserably, so thats on Lamaprd.

Havertz had an equally ineffective game but RLC couldnt even pass the ball.
    That's an aggregate score over the whole game, as you can see he's so far below the rest of the team. Exactly when did he have a good game for us last?

He performed well in the end of Contes days but never really for a run of games, nothing you'd go, oh remember that game?

Injuries havent helped, clearly but theres only so much you can blame on that.

well i remember when lot of ye here were saying ollie is terrible we should sell him, but frank also saw a potential of him and unlike sarri that let him rot on the bench actually gave him game time and look how it went.. he showed hes a great player and lad for the team

i suppose frank also see great potential in rlc and hopefully he will show that he can be the beast on the pitch..

stays to see

well i remember when lot of ye here were saying ollie is terrible we should sell him, but frank also saw a potential of him and unlike sarri that let him rot on the bench actually gave him game time and look how it went.. he showed hes a great player and lad for the team

i suppose frank also see great potential in rlc and hopefully he will show that he can be the beast on the pitch..

stays to see

Giroud played more games for Sarri than he did for Lampard. :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Giroud played more games for Sarri than he did for Lampard. :pac:
    did he?
    he was mostly subs for sari if i recall it well and i think i do

so checked that with stats and he played 828 mins for sarri vs 988 for frankie
    scored 2 goals for sarri and 8 for frankie

just shows the impact of when boss believes in you i suppose : )

Must of those Lampard minutes came post lockdown when Tammy was awful.

Giroud nearly left in January.

Thankfully he didn't because between himself and Pulisic, we scraped 4th.

Must of those Lampard minutes came post lockdown when Tammy was awful.

Giroud nearly left in January.

Thankfully he didn't because between himself and Pulisic, we scraped 4th.
    yes i know but he showed great spirit once he got to the pitch and really steeped up
    i'm glad he stayed with us too he's a class and was so happy for him

Thiago to Liverpool is a game changer.

Great player.

Well maybe not a game changer, just the addition needed to keep Liverpool at the top

Top class player though and can allow Liverpool to play in many different ways, was hoping they wouldn't sign him and maybe suffering from post title syndrome we could get close to them, wouldn't be banking on either of those things now

• Advertisement

Well maybe not a game changer, just the addition needed to keep Liverpool at the top

Top class player though and can allow Liverpool to play in many different ways, was hoping they wouldn't sign him and maybe suffering from post title syndrome we could get close to them, wouldn't be banking on either of those things now

Hes like Kovacic but all round, hes much better.

I think hes a fantastic player anyway.

I'm not pushed about getting close to the PL title because I think we're still weak as piss in some areas but consolidate top 4 and it'll be another step closer to fighting for a PL next year.

I'm not pushed about getting close to the PL title because I think we're still weak as piss in some areas but consolidate top 4 and it'll be another step closer to fighting for a PL next year.

I wouldn't be pushed about a proper title challenge, but we need a decent points improvement this season and if Liverpool were to drop into the mid 80s in points like a normal title challenger not in the past 2 years, we should be close to that in an ideal world

Barring Laporte getting injured I don't see City dropping much this year, wouldn't be surprised to see a Liverpool drop though

I don't rate Thiago that highly at all, he's a good squad addition to pool who are weak outside their 11, but he only excels going forward and would be very light to be expected to do half the defensive work an all-round CM would do in the prem. He's a good fit for Liverpool though, drop Keita and have Henderson and Fabinho holding deep, then you take away the issues Thiago brings defensively and physically.

hots wrote: »
    I don't rate Thiago that highly at all, he's a good squad addition to pool who are weak outside their 11, but he only excels going forward and would be very light to be expected to do half the defensive work an all-round CM would do in the prem. He's a good fit for Liverpool though, drop Keita and have Henderson and Fabinho holding deep, then you take away the issues Thiago brings defensively and physically.

I'll politely disagree, his stats prove hes gets through more or less the same amount of tackles and interceptions per game as Kante, who's regarded one of the best in the business at CDM.

Throw in his attacking flair and you've got a seriously good hybrid who's got no real weakness to his game.

Hes a player I'd definitely have had at the Bridge in a heart beat, hes exactly the kind of CM that City need given Fernandinho is about 60.

Winner of Chelsea v Barnsley plays the winner of Leyton Orient v Spurs away in the 4th round of the league cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Winner of Chelsea v Barnsley plays the winner of Leyton Orient v Spurs away in the 4th round of the league cup.

I'd love to get a chance to go to the orient. First football i went to in the UK was at brisbane Road.

I'd prefer Leyton Orient too because it means Jose has one less chance at a trophy, of which he only has 3 real chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

hots wrote: »

Most interceptions and most tackles completed for Bayern last season. On top of being usually near the top of the list when it comes to distance covered.

• Advertisement

Most interceptions and most tackles completed for Bayern last season. On top of being usually near the top of the list when it comes to distance covered.

He has less tackles won than Muller going by fbref, it's a funny stat when you're looking at a barca/bayern-esque team. I think he's a good signing for pool, but only because they'll have him backed up by fabinho and henderson.

Advertisement