Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20 #Mod Notes First post [Updated 24/07/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Decent little vid this, great channel too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Other people get stopped, therefore there is no possibility of bias in the volume or circumstances of stoppages by race?

I don't have enough experience of the UK to know whether there is a similar bias against black drivers there as there is in the US, but the fact other people get stopped too isn't exactly proof of anything...

It's not proof either way though,

Out of intrest was Ibe driving ? didn't he drive his car through the front of a Café only a couple of months ago ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

CL hopefully back Aug 12th:

Lisbon is set to host the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final of the Champions League between August 12-23.
    The UEFA Executive Committee will hold a meeting on Wednesday, when they are expected to approve a condensed new Champions League tournament played across 12 days.

any word on the europa league?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

CL hopefully back Aug 12th:

Lisbon is set to host the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final of the Champions League between August 12-23.
    The UEFA Executive Committee will hold a meeting on Wednesday, when they are expected to approve a condensed new Champions League tournament played across 12 days.

any word on the europa league?

Europa league final will be on 2 days before the champions league final in Cologne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,981 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Out of intrest was Ibe driving ? didn't he drive his car through the front of a Café only a couple of months ago ?

That’s my point.

(For the latter question, can’t tell who’s driving since the camera stays on the police, so we just hear voices of the lads in the car. Though if that was the reason, it would have been a very easy answer for them to just say.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

Incredible. Massive well done Marcus Rashford.

https://twitter.com/skynewsbreak/status/1272862350715105286?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

A class act in every sense of the word. It's great to see someone acting with such compassion and integrity.

I thought this interaction he had with a Tory MP summed it up

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1272796257111756800?s=20

She was so dismissive of what he was saying, and he rose above it. Fair play to him.

Lots of footballers in UK have done great things socially over the years, particularly fronting & funding foundations etc but I’m struggling to think of any that have made the political & social impact Marcus Rashford has over the last 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭jacool

In Ibe's defence, it said "drive-thru" on the sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

steve_r wrote: »
    A class act in every sense of the word. It's great to see someone acting with such compassion and integrity.

I thought this interaction he had with a Tory MP summed it up

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1272796257111756800?s=20

She was so dismissive of what he was saying, and he rose above it. Fair play to him.

Fair play to the lad, obviously clued into what's going on around him, lots of lads make it big and never look back, fair play to him for identifying the problem and using his profile to highlight it.

Says a lot about society in Britain today when there is what 1.4 million kids relying on these handouts! What an inequitable **** hole it is becoming, and getting more divided by the day with Boris and the boys swilling on the trough. That's for another debate perhaps, kudos to Rashford as I say for using his profile for the good of others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Happy Premier League return day bitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

its-coming-back.jpg

I'm like a small boy on Christmas Eve:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Happy Premier League return day bitches.

A sad day for the null and void brigade right enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The day finally arrives! Delighted. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭irelandrover

This is just sad. Premier league returns and your first thought isn't to just enjoy it but to use it for some point scoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As much as I have enjoyed watching Bundesliga last month or so and good see few La Liga games last couple days, its good have PL back now. Always felt this be earliest it would come back and great that been no delays.

Watching The Bremen game last night I do rather have the Crowd noise on, than not personally. It's funny how it seems make difference even though you know no fans are there.

Will be interesting to see how much advantage being at home is now with no fans.

I will go for draw in first game and City by goal tonight. Plus get watch 2nd half of Osasuna v A Madrid after tonight's action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Who??

As much as I have enjoyed watching Bundesliga last month or so and good see few La Liga games last couple days, its good have PL back now. Always felt this be earliest it would come back and great that been no delays.

Watching The Bremen game last night I do rather have the Crowd noise on, than not personally. It's funny how it seems make difference even though you know no fans are there.

Will be interesting to see how much advantage being at home is now with no fans.

I will go for draw in first game and City by goal tonight. Plus get watch 2nd half of Osasuna v A Madrid after tonight's action.

Will there be crowd noise for prem matches on Sky? I heard we might be able to choose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Rock77 wrote: »
    Who??

New centre half pairing at Norwich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Will there be crowd noise for prem matches on Sky? I heard we might be able to choose?

As far as I know I think there will be yes. Open for correction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's explained here, but not very clearly.
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12004035/crowd-noise-available-for-sky-sports-premier-league-games-how-it-works

But it seems (for those with the full sports package obviously) that Main Event will be with crowd noise included, as will any games on Sky One and Pick.
    Games will be shown at the same time on Sky Premier League without noise.

Hopefully the first game tonight will clarify it.

I'm really hoping I can turn off the crowd noise. It's just white noise and irritating imo. I'd much rather listen to the players talk to each other (amplified so I could properly hear them if i had a choice).

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12004035/crowd-noise-available-for-sky-sports-premier-league-games-how-it-works

But it seems (for those with the full sports package obviously) that Main Event will be with crowd noise included, as will any games on Sky One and Pick.

Cheers.

I was kinda hoping to be able to hear the players to be honest. Would be something different and quite interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It is far better viewing experience with crowd noise.

rob316 wrote: »
    It is far better viewing experience with crowd noise.

Yeah I watched a few mins of German football and it is better with the noise pumped in however I would like to watch one game to hear the players as it would be quite interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Imagine it took a footballer,a unelected kid,to get children fed in the UK,who would have probably missed meals otherwise, politicians should be ashamed of themselves,epic work by the young man,and I'd clap him off any football field for what he has done,no sponsorship whooring or self promotion,just get it done please ,the kids need it.

A genuine role model for all young footballers.

Well done Marcus rashford.

Vote out those who didnt push for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Unpopular opinion: Crowd noise enhances the viewers experience of the games

wadacrack wrote: »

I doubt it will be an unpopular opinion after a few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The only thing Im curious about is when goals are scored. Unless they deliberately have a couple of seconds delay to switch to celebratory cheering it will be really weird to see a belter of a goal being scored without any change in the crowd reaction. Dont really care anyway, just delighted to have the footy back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Imagine it took a footballer,a unelected kid,to get children fed in the UK,who would have probably missed meals otherwise, politicians should be ashamed of themselves,epic work by the young man,and I'd clap him off any football field for what he has done,no sponsorship whooring or self promotion,just get it done please ,the kids need it.

A genuine role model for all young footballers.

Well done Marcus rashford.

Vote out those who didnt push for this.

You mean Daniel :D

For me I reckon he gets sports personality of the year , Tyson Fury I reckon slipped up last week thanking a certain Irish man ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ryan Fraser not signing a new short term contract.

Would guess that is him done for the season, maybe. He would be contracted to play over the next 2 weeks, but will Bournemouth play him? His heart clearly won't be in it.

Tyson Fury I reckon slipped up last week thanking a certain Irish man ,

People didnt seem to care much about his views on womens place in society so they will probably care a lot less about his connections to an irish criminal they've never heard of.

Unpopular?

No its not. Why the fook would you try and be all edgy with an 'unpopular' opinion that is anything but?

Atmosphere is a big part of the viewing experience.

the 'argument' is whether football is unwatchable without it, or whether fake noise is better than no noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Poor form by Ryan Fraser. Getting out to sit at home instead of fighting for the club to avoid relegation.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1273187250982051842

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

FitzShane wrote: »
    Poor form by Ryan Fraser. Getting out to sit at home instead of fighting for the club to avoid relegation.
    Saw that earlier. I understand he's going to be a free agent and doesn't want to risk injury, but it's a slight warning to any club looking to sign him if you have a battle on your hands.
    1 goal and 4 assists this year.

Do we know if all the one-time covid refuseniks are going to play, Deeney, Kante etc?

• How does someone come to the conclusion that the reason is "Getting out to sit at home instead of fighting for the club to avoid relegation."

Do we know if all the one-time covid refuseniks are going to play, Deeney, Kante etc?

Do we know the match selections for matches that haven't happened yet? No. No we don't.

Do we know the match selections for matches that haven't happened yet? No. No we don't.
    :rolleyes:
    Okay smart guy, are they all willing to play if selected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mod: Any more posts like the above by posters will lead to cards being handed out.

On another note: please keep the discussion civil, if you have a problem with any post, report the post and let the Mods deal with it.

Lets all enjoy the return to a bit of normality

:rolleyes:
    Okay smart guy, are they all willing to play if selected?

Pretty straightforward question I thought.

Not sure, but I'd guess they will. Deeney went back training anyway. Not certain about Kante.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How does someone come to the conclusion that the reason is "Getting out to sit at home instead of fighting for the club to avoid relegation."

His attitude is meant to be really poor. It's bad form, just see out the season.

His attitude is meant to be really poor. It's bad form, just see out the season.

Might be an offer in the background that he doesn't want to miss out on. That'd be my guess anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Or he has a deal lined up for when the transfer window opens and doesn't want to jeopardise it by getting injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just to add to this, there's also a 'watchalong' option on Sky Sports Football for the MC v ARS game tonight.
    I think on this you get the live pictures but with continuous banter-type commentary from ex-players of each team.

It's my idea of hell, but others may like it as option.

• Advertisement

Less than 6 hrs to go!!

Is Jim White in the building? :D

6 wrote: »
    Less than 6 hrs to go!!

Is Jim White in the building? :D

Move over Tony Holohan, there’s a new man in our evening lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

6 wrote: »
    Pretty straightforward question I thought.

Not sure, but I'd guess they will. Deeney went back training anyway. Not certain about Kante.

Kante started the friendly the other day I think I read

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

FitzShane wrote: »

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1273187250982051842

How is it poor form? The next contract he signs will be his moneymaker. To put that in jeopardy would be insanity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

What time during the game do we think we’ll see a post in the humour thread of a tweet from Benchwarmers or LadBible about a bigger crowd than usual at the game tonight between Man City and Arsenal?

I’ll have a guess at 4mins into the game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement