Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Lobbing a flare in the pitch just as you concede your 6th goal hahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Maybe they want to sneak off under cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,491 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lobbing a flare in the pitch just as you concede your 6th goal hahahaha

Stadium ban, great excuse not to go to any more matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rovers will talk some stopping if they keep players fit.

Big game next friday against Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,491 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

All that talk of burke top scorer could still come true now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Too early to say Cork are in a relegation battle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Will be a disgrace if Rovers dont win it this season.....biggest/newest stadium, biggest crowds, a B team and Dermots millions.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Sickener for Harps in the end, but thats a very good start to the season regardless. Shels at home, followed by Cork away coming up, definitely scope for getting more points on the board there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,554 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Think if we were ever gonna have a chance of a result of getting a result against Dundalk it was tonight.

To be fair to Dundalk, even with the weather being an equaliser, they still handled it better than us. Knew when to avoid the short pass, when to go down etc. In a game where a game of football was never likely to break out, they were much more savvy.

Which makes it all the more annoying that we’ve lost to 2 of the most basic set piece goals that you will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Sickener for Harps in the end, but thats a very good start to the season regardless. Shels at home, followed by Cork away coming up, definitely scope for getting more points on the board there

Real kick in the nuts at the end. Would have been an unreal result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

shanec1928 wrote: »
    back in the premier and playing the champions

Since youse were relegated Dundalk have won the league 5 times, so I’m hoping your not bad news bears. Dubdalk got more yellow cards than in any match I remember. like the old days ( Sean Connors time, yellow and reds were frequent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Chronic game in the RSC tonight, gale force wind and pissing down rain. Bohs win 2-0 with an own goal and a penalty just before half time.

Hard to draw any conclusions given the conditions, diabolical viewing.

Edit: The two young centre halves for Waterford on loan from Reading were both very impressive imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Chronic game in the RSC tonight, gale force wind and pissing down rain. Bohs win 2-0 with an own goal and a penalty just before half time.

Hard to draw any conclusions given the conditions, diabolical viewing.

Edit: The two young centre halfs for Waterford on loan from Reading were both very impressive imo.

In fairness Bohs were fairly prepared for the conditions after last Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I think it'll be them or sligo. Harps have signed well and will pick up points

CSF wrote: »
    Think if we were ever gonna have a chance of a result of getting a result against Dundalk it was tonight.

To be fair to Dundalk, even with the weather being an equaliser, they still handled it better than us. Knew when to avoid the short pass, when to go down etc. In a game where a game of football was never likely to break out, they were much more savvy.

Which makes it all the more annoying that we’ve lost to 2 of the most basic set piece goals that you will see.

Couple of ropey moments at the back with the ball getting stuck under players legs where Shels could have easily scored.

I was surprised at the amount of football Shels tried to play especially in terrible conditions they look a decent side and will easily finish mid table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Was at the RSC too and the weather definitely ruined the game to a certain extent. Thought Waterford were fairly poor agree with Christy though about the two centre halves - thought they were very good very composed on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

tastyt wrote: »
    Derry playing awful, nobody able to play a decent forward pass.

While McNamee is shining and playing with a lot of freedom, if harps give him this free role he could have a great season

We were shocking tonight, Harps to be fair to them are difficult to break down.

The conditions tonight were awful, very wet and very windy, ruined any sort of spectacle.

Slightly disappointed by us tonight. Too many players just not at the races. I know its early and players need time to gel, so hopefully we will get better. Again I think we are set up better to play away from the Brandywell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... and the top scorer award has gone a long way to being decided tonight, considering 14 won it last season.

And a day after I stuck a tenner on Nilsen at 16/1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There were definitely bad signs. No idea what they were trying to do second half, no teamwork there, the big striker just kicked what was closest to him. They looked decent for 30 minutes until the goal and one of the most brainless red cards 30 seconds from half time really took the pressure off Rovers defending into the wind.

Otherwise very enjoyable from Rovers. Hopefully Burke and Byrne are around beyond July, but some good options are around off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Was at the game in Taalaght, Cork are in for a long season. I think they will probably finish bottom with Harps looking hard to break down. If Rovers manage to break in a another striker, they would be my favorites to win the league.3-5-2 seems to really suit the players they have. Farrugia is a much better option as LWB than Lafferty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

joeysoap wrote: »
    Since youse were relegated Dundalk have won the league 5 times, so I’m hoping your not bad news bears.
    we haven’t left the premier since 06;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

CSF wrote: »

Agree with all that. Both goals were terrible but the timing of that 2nd goal just before half-time was a killer, you knew we would have had a realistic chance for the 2nd half 1-0 down with the wind behind our backs.

I think that game will condition the team well as it was a battle-hardened effort against a LOI dynasty but I didn't see much to change my mind it's going to be a very long season fighting to finish above 10th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,554 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Have the gambling sites had streams of many of the games?

Will be a disgrace if Rovers dont win it this season.....biggest/newest stadium, biggest crowds, a B team and Dermots millions.....

Dundalk have a higher wage bill than Rovers.

They have Peak 6 millions as well.

Rovers have Williams,Kavanagh & a few younger players on little money. Dundalk have a bigger squad.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Dundalk have a higher wage bill than Rovers.

They have Peak 6 millions as well.

Rovers have Williams,Kavanagh & a few younger players on little money. Dundalk have a bigger squad.

1. You are privvy to Dundalks wage budget...very interesting
    2. Wilson and Desmonds millions
    3. You are privvy to Rovers players wages and contract details??

Sponsors still giving jobs to full time players, their partners and family members to compensate for wages???

Fact is and remains....Rovers with their income, B-team, stadium and catchment area should be winning rings around them this year. No more excuses...Tallaght should be full on a weekly basis and Rovers should be the flagship of the LOI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Both teams have resources far beyond the rest of the league.

Both teams have resources far beyond the rest of the league.

But Rovers have more....:D:D;);)

1. You are privvy to Dundalks wage budget...very interesting
    2. Wilson and Desmonds millions
    3. You are privvy to Rovers players wages and contract details??

Sponsors still giving jobs to full time players, their partners and family members to compensate for wages???

Fact is and remains....Rovers with their income, B-team, stadium and catchment area should be winning rings around them this year. No more excuses...Tallaght should be full on a weekly basis and Rovers should be the flagship of the LOI.
    https://twitter.com/chippie1974/status/1058401888419414016?lang=en

you sound very worried tbh . Obviously closer now I would assume but Dundalk way ahead

It will be between Dundalk & Rovers.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    we haven’t left the premier since 06;)

:):):)

That was infamous year alright, Shels are declared league winners and are relegated. Meanwhile we defeat Waterford in a playoff and are not promoted.

Premier Division and 2007 First Division would be decided by an Independent Assessment Group established by John Delaney .......... .

By the way, What did you win last year :)

you sound very worried tbh . Obviously closer now I would assume but Dundalk way ahead

You can't use those figures in that tweet to try and evaluate current wage budget. Look at the players rovers have signed since then. Dundalk also paid out massive bonuses in 2016 in Europe so that would massively skew those figures too.

It would be hard to argue Dundalk's wage budget isn't higher but Rovers aren't a million miles away

• Advertisement

Are your sponsors still employing full time players to sub their wages?? Are sponsors still giving jobs to partners or family members to make Rovers attractive??? These figures in your books?? Has Mr. Finn come out and stated what his total deal is worth?? Any of your English based returners??

As for Dundalk....players are on a very high performance related deals...do well and earn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

wadacrack wrote: »
    Was at the game in Taalaght, Cork are in for a long season.

If the brief highlights on RTE are a true reflection, the defence has no shape and they will concede a lot of unnecessary goals. That is usually the hallmark of relegated teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

My wage bill is lower than your wage bill! Come on lads ffs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Is Dundalks budget really €4.5 million a year?
    Or was that with bonuses to players in 2016?
    If its really that high they are seriously underachieving in Europe. Plenty of clubs with wages in and around that getting regular EL groupstage football.

Is Dundalks budget really €4.5 million a year?
    Or was that with bonuses to players in 2016?
    If its really that high they are seriously underachieving in Europe. Plenty of clubs with wages in and around that getting regular EL groupstage football.

It is for financial year 2016 & 2017....not season 2016/17. Bloated by European bonuses...

Are your sponsors still employing full time players to sub their wages?? Are sponsors still giving jobs to partners or family members to make Rovers attractive??? These figures in your books?? Has Mr. Finn come out and stated what his total deal is worth?? Any of your English based returners??

As for Dundalk....players are on a very high performance related deals...do well and earn more.

I dont know I am not a Rovers fan.

To say Rovers have a higher wage bill than Dundalk is not true as I shown above.

Much closer now I would assume but to state Rovers have a huge advantage over Dundalk is just simply not true.

I think Dundalk paid around €1m in bonus payments for 2016. That will skew the figures somewhat.

Fact remains Dundalk are punching way above their weight. Club from a relatively small town ( Dublin obviously, Cork , Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Derry, (Swords) and Drogheda have bigger populations to call on).

That said Sligo are also punching above their weight.

Added: as are Finn Harps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

My wage bill is lower than your wage bill! Come on lads ffs....
    We all know harps is the winner here!

Typical Ollie interview in Highland after the match
    Interviewer-4 points in your first 2 games Ollie, could have been 6
    Ollie-could have been none!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The only positive thing form our season so far!
    https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/1230888593800994816

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Fairly miserable start to the season for Rovers.
    Lost to Harps last week and 2-0 down to Pats by half time.
    Going to be one of those seasons. Long way to go yet but hard to turn down a play off if it was offered now. Harps look decent.
    Just hope Shels and Cork are even worse than us.

I'd be panicking only for having confidence that we have a decent manager. I think he'll sort it out, but the season at best is probably a write-off of mid-table obscurity.

We need a Romeo replacement and some of our other players fit ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

joeysoap wrote: »
    I think Dundalk paid around €1m in bonus payments for 2016. That will skew the figures somewhat.

Fact remains Dundalk are punching way above their weight. Club from a relatively small town ( Dublin obviously, Cork , Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Derry, (Swords) and Drogheda have bigger populations to call on).

That said Sligo are also punching above their weight.

Added: as are Finn Harps

Ridiculous to suggest Dundalk are punching above their weight equivalent of saying City are punching in England! Money wins titles doesn’t matter what the population is! Your budget dwarfs the majority of teams in the league! Hardly a fairytale story

major bill wrote: »
    Ridiculous to suggest Dundalk are punching above their weight equivalent of saying City are punching in England! Money wins titles doesn’t matter what the population is! Your budget dwarfs the majority of teams in the league! Hardly a fairytale story

There was no money there until after the UEFA run...any money Dundalk have they earned the majority of it on the pitch. LOI fans seem to forget that...

There was no money there until after the UEFA run...any money Dundalk have they earned the majority of it on the pitch. LOI fans seem to forget that...

Haven’t forgot just not buying into this Fairytale bull**** story that Dundalk rose from the bottom to become this powerhouse of football in Ireland! Even Kenny had a modest budget when he took over!

14 leagues, 11 cups, 6 league cups.

The majority long before Peak6 (or 2014 for that matter)

First provincial team to win the league.

First Irish team to win in Europe.

Last 16 in the old European cup.

All long before big budgets

I’ll stick

Yous really are an insufferable bunch the last few years lol

Haven’t forgot just not buying into this Fairytale bull**** story that Dundalk rose from the bottom to become this powerhouse of football in Ireland! Even Kenny had a modest budget when he took over!

Depends on what you call modest........part time setup, then owners keeping the lights on and clearing up the inherited mess, lads playing for next to nothing....some on OK part time money but they could be counted on one hand....only being able to clear the inherited debts after the Euro run....European campaign nearly killing the club....bridging the gap between spending money and getting it off the UEFA or better said FAI.

But then again I would expect fans to believe what they want.

I personally feel it was a fecken magic story, a film could be made about the club at this stage.....from packing bags to keep the lights on, to 2 local lads stepping up and local companies sponsoring. A lot of wee stones fell into place and for the first time in history owners walked away from a LOI with a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

"I initially signed for €200 part-time, the best-paid player was on €500."

https://www.the42.ie/brian-gartland-on-dundalk-shamrock-rovers-4872791-Nov2019/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'd be panicking only for having confidence that we have a decent manager. I think he'll sort it out, but the season at best is probably a write-off of mid-table obscurity.

We need a Romeo replacement and some of our other players fit ASAP.
    Not really panicking. Just being realistic. That's a very poor squad. It was far from stellar last year but minus Twardek and Romeo this year its even poorer.
    7th or 8th again would be about right. Harps look very decent. They can now play a bit of football and will take plenty of points at home this season.

Yous really are an insufferable bunch the last few years lol

We know and we know some day it will end. But until then we’ll milk it :)

Sometimes Lady Luck plays her part too., ‘ that’ last fantastic match vs City in 2014 being in Oriel and not in TC. Two own goals in 90+ minutes a few seasons ago and those two 90+ Minute penalties last year.
    ..European campaign nearly killing the club....bridging the gap between spending money and getting it off the UEFA or better said FAI.

But then again I would expect fans to believe what they want.

I personally feel it was a fecken magic story, a film could be made about the club at this stage.....from packing bags to keep the lights on, to 2 local lads stepping up and local companies sponsoring. A lot of wee stones fell into place and for the first time in history owners walked away from a LOI with a profit.

From RTE Al Jazeera

https://youtu.be/ICkcYU6Ut7U

• Advertisement

and for the first time in history owners walked away from a LOI with a profit.

We don't walk away from our club.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement