Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

This tweet went out after his first goal today but Idah now has 19 goals in 30 games. Serious prospect at 18.

https://twitter.com/davefreezer/status/1109879480695300097?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We've been desperate for striking options for so long. Great to see some emerging through the likes of Parrott, Obafemi, Connolly, Cassidy and now Idah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

We've been desperate for striking options for so long. Great to see some emerging through the likes of Parrott, Obafemi, Connolly, Cassidy and now Idah.

There was a rumour last year that Mourinho was signing Idah for MU and I actually believed it. He has 30 goals for Ireland and only just turned 18.

Full-Time and Ireland win 3-0. Connor Ronan named MOTM which is a fair pick but a lot of players could have got the award. Idah was great up top, not just his goals but his link-up play. Thought Molumby was quality in midfield. Masterson looked very composed in defence when called upon.

Pity we don't play again until September but a good confidence boost for the team.

Whisper it but the future does look promising. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Tell me Idah only has the one nationality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

My thoughts exactly given the recent sh1te that has gone on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Born in Cork bai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Jonathan Afolabi been scoring for the U-19's too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

His father is African but lad is born and bred Cork boy.

What an effort from Molumby off the crossbar. He looks a good player.

Great to see this lad back in an Ireland after being out injured for 15 months and two knee operations. Had a great game playing deeper in midfield than he normally plays.
    The talks of Irish football being in the doldrums for the next 20 years is thankfully seemingly nonsense. All of our underage teams are performing fantastically well, probably the best we’ve had since the Brian Kerr years with Duff, Keane, O’Shea etc.

The future is bright.

And the best thing about it is the future senior manager is currently involved with the underage teams and if lads like Conor Ronan, Adam Idah, Conor Coventry and Jasyon Moulemby keep up the excellent performances with the u21s they will be making their senior team debuts come September of next year when Kenny moves up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

And the best thing about it is the future senior manager is currently involved with the underage teams and if lads like Conor Ronan, Adam Idah, Conor Coventry and Jasyon Moulemby keep up the excellent performances with the u21s they will be making their senior team debuts come September of next year when Kenny moves up.

Exactly, that’s why I’m completely on board with the managerial arrangement. Leave Mick drag the current side to the Euros, have a few home games at the tournament, and then Kenny can takeover with a clean slate afterwards and start to bring through the lads he’s been working with in the underage sides. Makes perfect sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Impressive performance from the 21s today. Idah looks really exciting, he seems to be the ideal lone striker, capable of holding the ball up, good link play, can get in behind and can finish - how far is he off the first team at Norwich does anyone know? Conor Ronan had a great game too and he is the type of player we could really do with in the first team, wonder how he would fare against better opposition though. Molumby fairly decent as well and unlucky not to score a goal himself. Future looks bright! Now hopefully some of them can start getting closer to the first team at club level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,885 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Call Idah up too the seniors for the Georgia game ???

Should be on invited too the Portugal training camp at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Would like to see John Egan get a prominent role at the back
    Part of Sheffield Utd defence who have best record in the championship
    Also nice footballer who can bring it out from the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Call Idah up too the seniors for the Georgia game ???

Should be on invited too the Portugal training camp at least

Are we back to the 'Wales would cap him' thing again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just home from Gibraltar. That was a grim performance. Haven’t seen any replays but from the stands it looked Randolph pulled off a great save at 0-0. Chance from a corner which a team like Gibraltar should not be getting in the first minute of the half. Had drink with ex Gibraltar manager who was commentating on game and he compared it to Gordon Banks.

Can only draw a line under that and move on but slightly worried about Tuesday. Didn’t see Georgia yesterday but led to believe they should have been in front before the Swiss scored. Seen them a few times now and they are a decent side who just seem to lack goals. Hopefully last night stung the lads and we’ll see some improvement. I’d imagine Mick ate the ****ing bollocks out of them

Collie D wrote: »
    Had drink with ex Gibraltar manager who was commentating on game and he compared it to Gordon Banks..

Not his first drink, evidently...;)

In fairness, a fine save. Would be a talking point in any game. But not in the greatest saves ever category like Banks'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,906 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just home from Gibraltar. That was a grim performance. Haven’t seen any replays but from the stands it looked Randolph pulled off a great save at 0-0. Chance from a corner which a team like Gibraltar should not be getting in the first minute of the half. Had drink with ex Gibraltar manager who was commentating on game and he compared it to Gordon Banks.

Can only draw a line under that and move on but slightly worried about Tuesday. Didn’t see Georgia yesterday but led to believe they should have been in front before the Swiss scored. Seen them a few times now and they are a decent side who just seem to lack goals. Hopefully last night stung the lads and we’ll see some improvement. I’d imagine Mick ate the ****ing bollocks out of them

Not sure where you expect the improvement to come from?

We just don't have the quality of player at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

sugarman wrote: »
    We have the Toulan tournament in June!

England confirmed in it too. Tasty fixture if they meet at some stage!

• Advertisement

Not his first drink, evidently...;)

In fairness, a fine save. Would be a talking point in any game. But not in the greatest saves ever category like Banks'.

:)

Match hadn’t finished that long at this point and was wondering did he have a few on the job. He was from Glasgow I suppose.

Scouting mission for Gareth Southgate. We'll have to leave our dual nationality players at home incase England try to steal.

*being sarcastic incase some people take it serious*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,461 ✭✭✭pgj2015

just watched the northern ireland v belarus match there. i was impressed by N Ireland. very aggressive tackling, kept running at belarus at speed, over lapping runs, clever use of the ball. i wouldn't like to be up against jordan jones, very quick player.

if only we could do similar against georgia on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

pgj2015 wrote: »
    just watched the northern ireland v belarus match there. i was impressed by N Ireland. very aggressive tackling, kept running at belarus at speed, over lapping runs, clever use of the ball. i wouldn't like to be up against jordan jones, very quick player.

if only we could do similar against georgia on Tuesday.

Themselves and Wales were v good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wales were very lucky to come away with 3 points. Slovakia had 2 easy chances and should have got at worst a point. Bar first 20 minutes Wales were nothing special

Wales were very lucky to come away with 3 points. Slovakia had 2 easy chances and should have got at worst a point. Bar first 20 minutes Wales were nothing special

Couldn't disagree more.

Wales should have wrapped up it up in the first 70. Way better.

Slovaks finally came into it in the last 15-20 but Wales good value for the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Idah is exactly the type of striker we've been crying out for, for a long time. Excellent with his back to goal, quick, good in the air. Hopefully he continues to develop.

Connor Ronan was impressive. A very "un-Irish" style of player, but again exactly the type of creativity we're crying out for. Hopefully he doesn't have any second thoughts in terms of switching back to England.

Faruggia took his goal well, but some of his crossing was awful. A bit raw, but the talent is definitely there.

I'd be looking forward to watching that team in the Toulon tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

noodler wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more.

Wales should have wrapped up it up in the first 70. Way better.

Slovaks finally came into it in the last 15-20 but Wales good value for the win.

Stats only show a bit off the game,but Wales created very little after the goal. Slovakia had 3 great chances to score.

Passing by Wales was as average as we have been

https://www.skysports.com/football/wales-vs-slovakia/stats/403234

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Scouting mission for Gareth Southgate. We'll have to leave our dual nationality players at home incase England try to steal.

*being sarcastic incase some people take it serious*

Haha, we steal the players from the north and england steal them from the south

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Don't forget the tennis balls tomorrow folks :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The Mig wrote: »
    Don't forget the tennis balls tomorrow folks :pac:

:pac: you would want to have some throw to hit the pitch from where I'm sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

:pac: you would want to have some throw to hit the pitch from where I'm sitting.
    Was only saying that to a mate of mine for our seats. Sure we land the balls in premium and let them pass them onto the pitch :pac:

All the Rice fans singing ooh aah up the Ra, and the Irish responding with no surrender...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Shouts down Baggot St tomorrow Eve:

'Get yore tennis balls, 3 for a Euro!!!'

Where did that tennis ball story even come from? I doubt there are any plans for it and even if there were the stewards would just confiscate any they find.

Where did that tennis ball story even come from? I doubt there are any plans for it and even if there were the stewards would just confiscate any they find.

It's a regular form of protest in the Bundesliga.

Most recent one was last month between Nuremburg and Dortmund when black tennis balls were thrown on to the field. They also brought these signs:

xFrom-fans-of-the-show-to-protest-tennis-balls-flying-on-the-field-Dortmund-lost-two-points-series-jumbo-as-a-guest.jpg.pagespeed.ic.jDz0dkQge5.jpg

Yeah, I get the German influence but as far as I can see no fans’ group is actually promoting this. Sounds like someone on a windup to Joe Duffy, a few lads with a couple of handfuls of tennis balls which nobody will even notice or for the conspiracy theorists a fake rumour to deflect from the FAI and give them more of an excuse to search for so called contraband

I’d be surprised if this happens and have zero interest in it myself. Just seems to be lots of people talking about it but nobody actually knows where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

Is anyone considering boycotting the match? This would be the best way to finally get rid of Delaney and the board. I don't think tennis balls would have much of an impact. Its not something I'd like to do as I'm a season ticket holder for years, but if it'd finally rid us of the greedy, shambolic set up then I'll gladly stay away and watch the game in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Would like to see John Egan get a prominent role at the back
    Part of Sheffield Utd defence who have best record in the championship
    Also nice footballer who can bring it out from the back

Scores the odd goal too -in all fairness keogh should be turfed out guy has no pace at all

I get why you would consider a boycott. But why deprive yourself of something you enjoy (well maybe not the last two years) to make your point? Especially if you have a season ticket and money is already in the bank.

Maybe don’t buy anything inside the ground but that probably has a bigger impact on licence holders (although they probably deserve it too for taking the piss out of their captive audience with prices). Don’t buy official merchandise, plenty of decent Ireland gear that FAI make nothing from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭secman

I get why you would consider a boycott. But why deprive yourself of something you enjoy (well maybe not the last two years) to make your point? Especially if you have a season ticket and money is already in the bank.

Maybe don’t buy anything inside the ground but that probably has a bigger impact on licence holders (although they probably deserve it too for taking the piss out of their captive audience with prices). Don’t buy official merchandise, plenty of decent Ireland gear that FAI make nothing from.

It will only take one good protest, be it tennis balls, a walk out at a predetermined time, small price to pay, I have boycotted ROI games for the last 10 or so years over SEPP Delaney. I've been to Dalyer to see Irl play, tolka park to see 2nd string, went to Brussels in 1981 for my honeymoon , I went to games way before it was fashionable.

• Advertisement

Each to their own, secman - and everyone is entitled to do as they wish but I won’t be boycotting the team or taking part in a walk out.

I’ve no problem with anyone who wants to do that but the tennis ball thing or any other attempt to disrupt the game should not be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Forty-odd thousand fans chanting 'Delaney out' at the top of their voice would let them know exactly what people think. Keep it simple.

I'd also remind people to have their phones at the ready in case security start acting the pr1ck with fans.

Any opinions on the actual game tomorrow? ;)

My worry is we could struggle....badly.

The biggest problem with the team is that if the opposition goes 1 up it's very hard to see us getting 2 goals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Any opinions on the actual game tomorrow? ;)

My worry is we could struggle....badly.

The biggest problem with the team is that if the opposition goes 1 up it's very hard to see us getting 2 goals...

2-0 to Georgia I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,461 ✭✭✭pgj2015

0-0

2-0 to Georgia I reckon.

If they score first we are done in my opinion. I just don't see where our goals are coming from at the moment.

Even if we score early it's backs against the wall for the rest of the game :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Worztron

Ire 2-1 Geo

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

It's gonna be tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'd say we'll sh!thouse our way to a dour, insipid 1-0 but a 0-0 also would not surprise me either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

We've beaten them by a single goal each time we've played them here in competitive games. I think we'll continue that run tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement