Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019-20 UEFA Champions League- SEE Mod Note in OP 15/08/20

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Man City vs Real Madrid has been postponed ,after a Real Madrid basketball player, who shares training facilities with the La Liga club, tested positive for the Corona virus.
    Real Madrid players will self-isolate for fifteen days.

Juve v Lyon is officially off as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Defo Trent ,
    Im' not going to lie as he done it i had flash back of Watford and then thought its grand when it went to Adrian ,how wrong was i ,

Extra time is a bit of a blur now to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

UEFA announces all next week's games postponed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭jacool

Just to put the "blame game" for the goal to bed.

Look at the video feed from behind the goal, when all Liverpool players who point, all point to Adrian to play the ball out to his left, where Liverpool players outnumber those from A Madrid.
    He then
    a) plays a piss-poor pass to the right (where AM outnumber Liverpool) and places it right at the feet of an opponent,
    before compounding the error by
    b) slipping off his right foot just when setting himself to dive to the left
    Totally the keepers fault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,172 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

jacool wrote: »
    Just to put the "blame game" for the goal to bed.

Look at the video feed from behind the goal, when all Liverpool players who point, all point to Adrian to play the ball out to his left, where Liverpool players outnumber those from A Madrid.
    He then
    a) plays a piss-poor pass to the right (where AM outnumber Liverpool) and places it right at the feet of an opponent,
    before compounding the error by
    b) slipping off his right foot just when setting himself to dive to the left
    Totally the keepers fault.

It was clear that it was his fault when it happened, every angle you view it shows it the same way. It was obvious.
    That said, that misplaced ball can be ran parallel with all the misplaced shots, headers etc we had to win the match. Several other players did not put the ball in the net when they should have. Shots either side of the keeper rather than straight at him- Ox in particular drove one straight at him from a great position, Robertson's header off the bar etc. They all played a part in the loss. If they had got a second in the 90minute game, he would never have made that mistake.
    It happens. That's football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Shows there always luck involved if the Liverpool game was next week it would have been postponed and Alisson would have been back in nets ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

UEFA announce CL final is postponed. No **** lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester, Wolves and one other club have all submitted a joint application to CAS that the City punishment be upheld.

Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal & Liverpool have also separately sent letters as well

Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester, Wolves and one other club have all submitted a joint application to CAS that the City punishment be upheld.

Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal & Liverpool have also separately sent letters as well

Sent a few myself too

Why is the one other club not named?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,265 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quarter Final Draw
    Real Madrid (ESP)/Manchester City (ENG) V Lyon (FRA)/Juventus (ITA)
    Leipzig (GER) V Atlético (ESP)
    Napoli (ITA)/Barcelona (ESP) V Chelsea (ENG)/Bayern München (GER)
    Atalanta (ITA) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Semi-Final Draw
    Real Madrid (ESP)/Manchester City (ENG)/Lyon (FRA)/Juventus (ITA) V Napoli (ITA)/Barcelona (ESP)/Chelsea (ENG)/Bayern München (GER)
    Leipzig (GER)/Atlético (ESP) V Atalanta (ITA)/Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It is there for PSG if they don't throw it away again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

dfx- wrote: »

Wouldn't write off Atalanta. Could be a couple of high scoring games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The French teams have no football ,La Ligue was abandoned.
    They only have 2 cup finals as competitive football preparation.
    They could be very rusty and lacking match sharpness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Juve at 16/1 I think could be ok.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Juve at 16/1 I think could be ok.

e/w maybe. The old lady is always the bridesmaid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Atalanta will stuff them, and probably by a few goals. PSG will play right into their hands, and will be coming in cold

I can now just see a spit in the eye of UEFA with a PSG vs City final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭doc_17

I can now just see a spit in the eye of UEFA with a PSG vs City final.

With the loser whining about the winner’s breaches of FFP!!

• Advertisement

Madrid will murder City if this FA cup version turns up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I cant see past Bayern this year
    I would worry about them because of the break but they basically have a warm up game against Chelsea,

Mbappe got a serious ankle injury today in the French Cup Final if he is out for any length of time PSG don't stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,982 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think Atleti are a good dark horse... perhaps not as strong as in the past, but they have a decent draw, and they're bloody hard to beat. Haven't lost a game since the restart. Actually, haven't lost a game since the first of February.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Think Atleti are a good dark horse... perhaps not as strong as in the past, but they have a decent draw, and they're bloody hard to beat. Haven't lost a game since the restart. Actually, haven't lost a game since the first of February.

As long as they don't end up playing Ronnie at any stage they are in with a chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,172 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Liverpool beat them in 90 minutes - we can forget about what happened in et :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There is some talk that a Real Madrid player has tested positive for COVID and will miss the 2nd leg against Man City.

Spain is on a no-travel zone for the UK, and if people do travel, then must isolate for 14 days afterwards. With the exception of the players involved in the Real Madrid-Man City game.

I wonder will this positive case place a bit of doubt on the game or will they play it? I'm guessing that as of now, they will play it. But what happens if there is a mass outbreak of 10+ players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fitz* wrote: »
    There is some talk that a Real Madrid player has tested positive for COVID and will miss the 2nd leg against Man City.

Spain is on a no-travel zone for the UK, and if people do travel, then must isolate for 14 days afterwards. With the exception of the players involved in the Real Madrid-Man City game.

I wonder will this positive case place a bit of doubt on the game or will they play it? I'm guessing that as of now, they will play it. But what happens if there is a mass outbreak of 10+ players?

I think money talks. It is why the CL was invented in the first place. Broadcasting rights/sponsorship etc all > any risk that can be kept to a manageable level.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Has there been any mention of next seasons CL yet? Even if the Preliminary rounds started the day after the Final for this season, itd still be running a full 2 months behind schedule. Where are they going to make that up?

EDIT, going by wiki , its due to start in a couple of weeks. Putting the start of the group stage a month and a half back from last (this :) ) season. Next season has fixture congestion **** show written all over it. Especially with the Euros putting a definite end date on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They need to go with one legged rounds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,265 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Round of 16 2nd legs
    Friday 7th August 20:00 Kick-offs

Manchester City (ENG) V Real Madrid (ESP) (Agg 2-1) - Live on BT Sport 1
    Juventus (ITA) V Lyon (FRA) (Agg 0-1) - Live on BT Sport 2

Saturday 8th August 20:00 Kick-offs
    Barcelona (ESP) V Napoli (ITA) (Agg 1-1) - Live on BT Sport 2
    Bayern München (GER) V Chelsea (ENG) (Agg 3-0) - Live on BT Sport 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Modern decadence is highlighted by the financial insulation of the superclub (Indo)
    In 2015, Max Allegri led Juventus to the double. In 2016, Max Allegri led Juventus to the double. In 2017, Max Allegri led Juventus to the double. In 2018, Max Allegri led Juventus to the double. In 2019, Max Allegri did not lead Juventus to the double, although he did lead them to an eighth straight Scudetto.

Failure to win last season's Coppa Italia was not why Allegri was ousted last summer. He probably would have been replaced even if he had landed a fifth double in five seasons, because this is the pitch of absurdity European football has reached: a manager can win five league titles and four cups in five years as well as twice reach the Champions League final and yet his club can still decide he hasn't done quite enough.

It is easy to identify an entitlement that grips the modern elite, the managers removed for only winning the league - Barcelona replaced Ernesto Valverde in similar circumstances in January - but from the point of view of the superclub it makes sense. As you win a ninth straight title (Juve), or an eighth in 11 years (Barca), or an eighth in a row (Bayern Munich) or a seventh in eight years (Paris Saint-Germain), it probably doesn't seem a worthwhile challenge any more.

RTE Two have Real v City. should be a cracker

RTE Two have Real v City. should be a cracker

Yep I'm actually really looking forward to this game. Honestly don't really care who wins or not, perfect neutral game.

I do - a bit! :D I'd prefer RM to win so Pep can point to the League Cup as his trophy for the season.

I do - a bit! :D I'd prefer RM to win so Pep can point to the League Cup as his trophy for the season.

I mean tonight. I don't want either of them to win it outright.

ZZ is saying Bale is refusing to play that is why he hasn't named him in the squad for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

No way, want City playing as long as possible so they have as little break as possible. Don't want them to win it but if them winning means not much of a break going into a season that will be condensed I can take it. A semi final or final loss would be preferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Fromvert wrote: »
    No way, want City playing as long as possible so they have as little break as possible. Don't want them to win it but if them winning means not much of a break going into a season that will be condensed I can take it. A semi final or final loss would be preferable.

All clubs competing in these tournaments are being given an extended break and start the season later than everyone else due to being involced in them

To me thats a double edged sword, yes you get competitive games but then on the other hand you get teams having a head start on you in the league.
    I.E. and this is not having a dig at Liverpool but they could be 9/12 points ahead before United, City or Wolves have kicked a ball this season.

brinty wrote: »
    All clubs competing in these tournaments are being given an extended break and start the season later than everyone else due to being involced in them

To me thats a double edged sword, yes you get competitive games but then on the other hand you get teams having a head start on you in the league.
    I.E. and this is not having a dig at Liverpool but they could be 9/12 points ahead before United, City or Wolves have kicked a ball this season.

Didn't know that, that extra time off will surely lead to an even more condensed point of the season. As you say if Liverpool reel off a few wins early on it'll definitely have an effect, also if Liverpool lose/draw a few of those games. Other teams will be confident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Fromvert wrote: »
    Didn't know that, that extra time off will surely lead to an even more condensed point of the season. As you say if Liverpool reel off a few wins early on it'll definitely have an effect, also if Liverpool lose/draw a few of those games. Other teams will be confident

As i said its a double edged sword so could work either way. The teams competing United, Wolves and City will have it rough in the first few months fitting in their displaced matches around Europe and cup comps etc.

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    As i said its a double edged sword so could work either way. The teams competing United, Wolves and City will have it rough in the first few months fitting in their displaced matches around Europe and cup comps etc.

Don't forget Chelsea! They are still in it

Imagine a time when a club was told you can't have a break and you have to play two games in two days on two different continents it's good to see the English football governing bodies have eased up and will now give teams a rest break.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/ManCity/status/1291797575935447040?s=19

More surprised about Gundogan than Foden starting. Sterling starts unlike the first leg.

https://twitter.com/realmadriden/status/1291791416084123648?s=19

Ramos suspended, Hazard starts as does the old midfield without Valverde.

Looking at those lineups, Fernandinho (or will it be Rodri?) and Cancelo at the back I'm fancying Real to get through. Real at 20/1 to win it outright looks a little big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There's a massive weight of goals on Benzema's shoulders. He is the only serious goal threat in that side really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Would love Benzema and Hazard to help put Madrid through. Midfield battle is going to be very interesting.

Dybala only fit for the Juve bench. Lyon have Dembele on the bench too. Fancy CR7 to see them over the line. Keen to see how Guimaraes does for Lyon as I seem to recall he did very well in the first leg. Caqueret, one of Lyon's great hopes for the future, starting as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

RTE studio looking pretty snazzy. I liked when they had the lights dimmed at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

As a nuetral looking forward to a good attacking game.....Madrid have to go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

As a nuetral looking forward to a good attacking game.....Madrid have to go for it.

Not sure why they couldn't have one of these games on at 6pm and the other at 8pm?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,982 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well, that's that really for the Man City game. So so stupid from Madrid.

Advertisement