Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often do you replace your basics?

• 11-07-2020 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Socks, t shirts and underwear

I was surprised to read that 6 months seems to be recommended time by most health experts

How often to replace 57 votes

3 months
    87% 50 votes
    6 months
    5% 3 votes
    9 months
    1% 1 vote
    1 year
    1% 1 vote
    Two years
    1% 1 vote
    More than that
    1% 1 vote

Comments

Normally every few months but haven’t got a thing since Christmas because of C19 with shops being so dangerous. The jocks especially are getting fairly ragged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I buy jocks and winter socks in October and then jocks and summer socks in March. I always buy black socks even though they are just really really really really really dark blue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I was surprised to read that 6 months seems to be recommended time by most health experts
    6 months :eek:

I replace mine every week with washed ones.

Whether I need to or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

When they shatter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

don't replace what isn't broke.

today however, I did actually choose to do away with a t-shirt as old as I am, an ancient Seattle Mariners tee from the 1980s, the emblem almost completely washed off now, its just too tattered to wear any longer.

Socks wear out so fast I just have taken to wearing sandals mainly :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When the wear out as in lose color or shape or the quality of the material goes south.... no date on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ha? what in the feck are health experts recommending that for? Most stuff I have is years old. Is this thread intended for people who don't bother washing their clothes and after 3 months there is so much grime and dead skin embedded into the fabric it has to be replaced?

The odd time I buy socks that only last 3 to 6 months but I make a point of never buying that type again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Once every six months whether they need it or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Buy quality and it'll last years. Most of my stuff is in its 2nd decade.
    Fast fashion is a con.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Months?
    What is this crazy talk?

I have some pairs of shorts that are 20 years old. They get thrown out when they have holes or the elasticity is gone.

Socks when they have holes - usually takes a couple of years. I only wear black socks and buy about 15 pairs of the same. Bamboo is very soft and durable. Will be changing out all the socks soon.

Why would you throw out perfectly intact socks or jocks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Whenever i have the chance to buy socks underwear t shirts etc i do....i never have enough

bras ...hmmp every 3 months ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I have jocks that are probably over a decade old. I thought that was normal. They serve a purpose they aren't a fashion item. Maybe I'm a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭circadian

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I buy jocks and winter socks in October and then jocks and summer socks in March. I always buy black socks even though they are just really really really really really dark blue.

i-understood-that-reference.gif?fit=245%2C187&ssl=1

I'd say it's new buys every 6 months with a clear out but some of my cacks and socks are at least a year old but in great condition. Probably the ones at the bottom that rarely get worn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

When they fall apart. Like someone else mentioned why would you throw stuff away that's perfectly fine???? That's ****ing stupid.

Everyone has more than one pair of each I'd imagine.

Let's say you have 10 pairs of jocks and 10 pairs of socks and you wear one pair of each a day (obviously some days you might use more) if wearing on a rotational basis, that's like each pair gets worn about 3 times a month. Why the **** would you throw them away after 6 months months.

Surely jocks and socks last more than 18 wears before they need changing???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I replace stuff, all stuff not just clothes, when it wears out, or breaks.

Mrs. Beer has taken to creatively repairing clothes. She's given new life and character to a couple of pairs of jeans of mine and some hoodies - I love the repaired clothes.

But for some reason, I draw the line at repairing socks and jocks. She had taken to repairing her own girl shorts, though.

I've come to the conclusion that, apart from socks and jocks, I, in reality, don't need any more clothes for the rest of my life.
    I've no doubt that I will buy some clothes in the future but I really won't need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I tend to get about 6 months out of them, I wash them then and decide whether I can get any longer out of them.

Que multiple people cracking the exact same, lame joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭gifted

Ah lads....jocks and socks are to be worn until they fall apart or fall down.......it's a bit like bed sheets....you change them when they crack ..none of this every week ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Replacing stuff every six months is just stupid consumerism.

Stuff here is replaced when it’s needed.

T shirts / polos could last 6-8 years.
    Have a few sweatshirts that are older but they just get used for workwear.

I’d say I have shirts that are 25 years old, they are something I’d only wear occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'd buy a few new jocks a couple of times a year.
    I probably have about 25 to 30 wearable ones in the drawer. I tend to favour the trunks/midway type. The first sign of wear for me is usually a hole at the seam in the crotch towards the back of my ballsack, then it's the bin. My trousers all go threadbare in the same place, my partner says it must me the way I walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

What health experts? Sounds complete bs.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

This is like an advert for idiots to run out to replace all their socks and jocks because Penny's are trying to get rid of their summer stock due to covid 19.

I have a drawer full of jocks and a drawer or two full of socks, sometimes I fire pairs in the bin and sometimes I buy pairs in the shop, I never throw out good ones and I never buy bad ones.

Health experts me hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

To think we are being guilt tripped into higher taxes yet mindless throwaway consumerism is not being addressed.

🙈🙉🙊

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The only clothes I've bought in the last three years have been a cap to keep the sun off my face and some cloth masks in the last few months.

There's categorically no way you need to throw clothes out because you've had them 6 months. I have items of clothing that are 15 years old. I even have one pair of underwear that have a hole in them, but they're my most comfortable pair so I stitched them up and still wear them. I did the same to a couple of nice pairs of socks that got holes. Poor quality ones or ones I didn't like wearing, I'll throw out when they get worn through but when I find ones I like, I'm getting as much use as possible out of them. I usually repurpose any t-shirts that get holes.

Wearing comfy underclothes improves any day tenfold though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Somebody should tell the 'health experts' that most people wash their socks n jocks.

:pac:

Which medical journal published the Jock n Socks Health review?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I don't wear underwear, I can't actually remember the last time I bought or wore some so I'd mark them down as a never.

Socks would be every few weeks, I run a lot so I go through socks fairly quickly. Plus I love the feel of new socks, esp in work.

T-shirts not too often actually. I don't wear t-shirt for fashion, they're either work t-shirts or I'm training in them. Some T-shirts I won't throw out, either they're from races I've done or T-shirts I've bought when oversea's with the United Nations and some T-shirts I got at Judo events. None of these can never be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

In this case,
    Health Expert is probably an Opinion Piece by so and so, the new in-depth journalism.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    In this case,
    Health Expert is probably an Opinion Piece by so and so, the new in-depth journalism.

Published in the latest Penneys flyer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I only recently threw out a pair of knickers I bought in Australia 16 years ago! They were on regular rotation all that time. I found the clothes in Oz were expensive but really good quality. I've also bought knickers that only lasted a month or two.
    regular rotation

Normal then back to front then inside out ?

Sure saves a lot of trips to the washing machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Well I don't wear underwear, I can't actually remember the last time I bought or wore some so I'd mark them down as a never.

In your case then the question would be how often do you replace your trousers!
    Plus I can only presume you are a highly trained zip ninja.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gruffalox wrote: »
    In your case then the question would be how often do you replace your trousers!
    Plus I can only presume you are a highly trained zip ninja.

A zip ninja lol

I rarely wear casual trousers actually.

I'm a soldier so I'm in uniform most days, I've more pairs than I can count so they're fresh most days, otherwise I'm either in cycling lyrca, running shorts, Judo suit or a wetsuit for open water swimming.. Just be thankful I don't wear Speedo swim trunks lol.

Lounging around the gaff is mostly Dunnes baggy sweat bottoms or Pennys lounge wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

To think we are being guilt tripped into higher taxes yet mindless throwaway consumerism is not being addressed.

We can address mindless consumerism ourselves by not buying in to it ;)

These 'experts' give actual experts a bad name, it’s no wonder we have likes of uk government ministers saying we've had enough of experts

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Buy quality and it'll last years. Most of my stuff is in its 2nd decade.
    Fast fashion is a con.

10 year old skids and socks? Where do you shop NASA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Throw out boxers when they turn into skimpy mini skirts and socks when my big toe sticks out it cutting of my blood supply

• Advertisement

When they totally fall apart for socks and underwear so years, though I would be gradually adding to socks and throwing away rather than a big cull and replacement. T-shirts just graduate to farm/around the house wear when they lose shape etc and then graduate to use in bed when they really get bad. It’s very rare I’d throw away a t-shirt have them years and years.

For those who change socks before they need to.

It's one item homeless people need, so donate them if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Replacing every 6 months is crazy.

I wear boxers; they last 4-5 years generally. Socks - would replenish maybe every 18 months.

I do a wash every fortnight and for convenience, tumble-dry the boxers & socks, I am sure the socks would last longer if hung to dry but that’s extremely tedious.

Advertisement